News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GrandAsTheCanyon

GrandAsTheCanyon Profile Photo
Member Name: GrandAsTheCanyon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Going To The Theatre Alone
 Sep 23 2012, 08:37:21 AM
I almost always go to the theater alone. I don't know anyone who loves musicals as much as I do, and I'd rather pay 130$ for a seat in front of the orchestra, than have two seats in the mezzanine for the same price. You have to be quiet during the show anyway and the show itself is exactly the same whether or not I am accompanied, so I don't see that many advantages to seeing the show with someone. If I feel like talking before the show or during the intermisssion, I can always start a conversat
Bad Lyrics
 Aug 30 2012, 09:09:19 PM
In Wicked:
``My tender heart tend to start to bleed`` (It's a nice word play on `tend``and `to`, but I can't help thinking ``Tend to? What are the circunstance in which your heart bleeds and the circunstance in which it does not? Because you are giving a makeover to a girl with freaking green skin and you seem just fine.)

``To late to go back to sleep`` (Go back to sleep? As far as I know, the last thing you did was meeting the Wizard and before that you were having a fun time visit

A Few Questions For My Trip To NYC
 Aug 30 2012, 08:56:16 PM
MarkBearSF- I like to write down my experiences when I see shows, and then print them and put them in my theater memorabilia binder (the idea is that when I'm going to be really old, I'm going to reread all of them and relive all the shows I've seen). So I thought that it was the least of the thing to post my report here.

Macnyc- I know! When I ordered the tickets, I thought ``Matthew got so-so reviews, but maybe I will catch his understudy.`` And then, a few weeks later, they announced

Aug 30 2012, 04:08:33 PM
My trip was last weekend (August 24th-26th), so here's my review of it:

The first sight I saw of NY was a Rock of Ages Broadway poster. Out of all the shows on Broadway, it is probably the one I LEAST want to see, but I still grinned because it meant that we were getting close to New York. We arrived at the bus station at around 3:30PM, and we had to get to the Pod Hotel on 39th Street to put our luggage there. A lot of people were, I guess, coming back from work so I got to experienc

Into The Woods - TIX / LOTTO / LINE
 Aug 21 2012, 09:40:11 PM
I'm so sorry to bother you guys with yet a few more questions, but I really have a Type A personality when it comes to theatre and I want my chances of seeing Into the Woods to be as high as possible.

Are the direction to get to the Delacorte box office clearly shown when you get to Central Park? I know that you have to enter at the 81st/Central Park West intersection, but since the theater is not exactly right next to the entrance I assume that you have to walk a little inside the park

Aug 18 2012, 09:19:05 PM
I checked back on the Shakespeare in the Park website, and they actually say that ``the name AND address on the photo ID must match the name used when registering for Virtual Ticketing``. I feel kinda dumb for having missed that. =) I thought that using a NYC address would be preferable so that they could be sure that the winners are able to make it to Central Park on time.

But now I have another problem. I checked my passport and Medicare card, and none of them have my address. I thin

Aug 18 2012, 07:03:37 PM
Hello, I'm coming to New York next week with my sister and I'm thinking of trying the virtual lottery but I have a few questions to ask first.

1)On the Shakespeare in The Park website,they say that we have to give our names and address to register to the virtual lotto. Can I use the address of the hotel or do I have to use my address back home?
2)If my sister and I both put our names for the virtual lotto it would somewhat increase our chances of winning tickets. But since we will b

Who is your favorite character in broadway shows??
 Aug 12 2012, 01:08:10 PM
Carrie-Carousel
Petra- A Little Night Music
Cinderella and Little Red-Into The Woods
Og-Finian's Rainbow
Jeannie-Hair
Penny-Hairspray
Clara-The Light In The Piazza
Lucille Frank-Parade
Daisy and Violet-Side Show
April and Jenny-Company

Why doesn't Anneliese Van Der Pol work more?!
 Aug 6 2012, 08:39:48 PM
I actually think that she pulled it off well.

She was my favourite on That's So Raven and I've always wished that she'd get more recognition.

I know that the revival of Funny Girl was indefinately postponed, but if Lauren Ambrose becomes unavailable by the time it gets back on track, I think that she'd be a great pick for Fanny Bryce.

And while she's still a bit too young, in a few years she'd make a kickass Lucille Frank in Parade.

Your ultimate favourite songs from musicals?
 Aug 6 2012, 05:16:23 PM
Something Wonderful-The King And I
Good Morning Baltimore-Hairspray
Passegiata- The Light In The Piazza
Fable-The Light In The Piazza
The Miller's Son- A Little Night Music
Surrey With A Fringe On Top-Oklahoma
This Is Not Over Yet-Parade
She Likes Basketball-Promises, Promises
Seasons Of Love-Rent
I'll Cover You-Rent
If I Loved You-Carousel
Feelings You've Got To Hide-Side Show
Who Will Love Me As I Am-Side Show
You Should Be Loved-Side Show
The current portrayal of Glinda in Popular.
 Aug 4 2012, 11:45:04 AM
I LOVED Katie Rose Clarke as Glinda. Super funny when needed, but perfectly heartbreaking in the more ``dramatic`` scenes. She's one of the few Glinda's who actually shows how much she truly cares for Elphaba. It's insane that she hasn't been cast in any other shows ever since she joined Wicked, she should be a much bigger star.
The current portrayal of Glinda in Popular.
 Aug 3 2012, 03:56:04 PM
I saw the second national tour yesterday, and I was actually really impressed by how ``normal`` Jeanna de Waal was during that number. She did a few cute funny stuffs, but she was not over-the-top at all and just seemed like an average prep trying to give advice.

On the other hand, I thought that they need to tone down the cattiness during the early Shiz scenes (from Dear Old Shiz until the beginning of Dancing Through Life). I understand that most Shiz students are supposed to be airhe

Broadway books to read?
 Jul 23 2012, 07:37:58 AM
I haven't seen the PBS series, but I suppose it is.
Broadway books to read?
 Jul 22 2012, 09:42:26 PM
I really liked reading the book Broadway:The American Musical. It's very interactive and complete and I love how they present the shows through their historical and cultural signifiance. It's almost 500 pages long and there's a lot of rare pictures so, when I finished reading it I felt like I had time travelled through 100 years of Broadway history.

I also love The Sound Of Music Companion. It really details everything about the muscial, from the life of the real Maria Von Trapp to the

Stage door question?
 Jul 21 2012, 10:43:27 PM
Not from Cassie (I think that she is very talented though, I love her voice on the cast recording of Hair) and not from the stage door either, but when I was 14 I wrote a fan letter to Kelli O'Hara. I was just starting to discover the world of musical theater, so I was a bit overenthusiastic (I actually found the draft of that fan letter the other day, and had a great laugh over it, my admiration was a bit over-the-top =P ). They didn't have any international reply coupons at my post office, bu
Best Scores of the Last 20 Years
 Jul 21 2012, 04:51:19 PM
In order of preference:
1)The Light In The Piazza (It's actually my favourite score of all time. It was the first score that made me realize that music can sometimes tell a story better than words (not that the lyrics aren't beautiful, but a lot of them are in italian and you still understand the story perfectly). The ouverture really makes you feel like you are walking in Italy on a beautiful sunny day)

2)Side Show
(I know that the show has it's flaws (Bill Russell's lyrics ar

Jul 20 2012, 09:28:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try to get rush tickets for One Man Two Guvnors but if they don't have any tickets left by the time I'm at the box office (is there a crazy long line of people wanting tickets for that show?) I will choose between whatever is left at the TKTS booth after I saw the matinee of NWIYCGI . (I know that the TKTS booth for evening performances open at 3PM, but I won't be able to be there until at least 5PM. How good is the selection of shows available at that
 Jul 19 2012, 08:07:46 PM
Thank you again for all your replies for my previous questions. I now have a few more questions:

12)I ordered a ticket for Nice Work If You Can Get It and they dont ship to Canada so I'm going to have to pick up the ticket at the box office. They said that I'm going to have to bring the credit card I used to purchase the ticket. The ticket is under my name but I used my father's credit card to buy them (I'm a few days shy of 18 so I don't have my own credit card yet, and I didn't w

Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
 Jul 18 2012, 10:00:31 AM
THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
-Kelli O'Hara's voice going into crescendo at the end of the ouverture.
-``That's a completely naked statue!!!``
-``Come with me, in the places that I KNOOOOOW, la passegiata``
-``MUSEOOO! La, la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la, FRABIZIO NACARELLI, FABRIZIO NACARELLI, HE'S WAITING FOR ME, HE'S WAITING FOR ME, CLARA JOHNSON 142 EAST LAKE ST, CLARA JOHNSON 142 EAST LAKE ST``
-Clara's Interlude (so beautiful and heartbreaking)

<

Jul 9 2012, 12:09:19 PM
frontrowcentre2-Thanks for your advice! I will visit Academy instead of Colony. Like I said in my first post, I'm a long time lurker of these boards so I'm always super-impressed by your vast knowledge on cast recordings. I got a bit excited that you decided to share a bit of your ``wisdom`` with me.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You