News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for turquoisefish

turquoisefish Profile Photo
Member Name: turquoisefish
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.eple.co.uk
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

self entitlement/rude behaviour
 Jul 1 2012, 06:38:45 PM
I keep reading stories like these and I really think theatre etiquette is getting worse. I was in London yesterday and saw The Sunshine boys in one of the few air-conditioned theatres London has . A lady 2 seats down from me had an electric fan on from the moment she sat down, I thought she would turn it off when the play started, she didn't so when an opportune moment came I asked her to turn it off. Her and her friend tutted a bit but did. They mumbled several times, i couldn't work out exactl
Favorite Cut Songs
 Aug 6 2011, 07:56:19 AM
This is the London version but I really miss Don't Let Me Go and Build A Wall in Shrek. They have been removed with no replacements!
GLEE'S 'Everything's As If We Never Said Goodbye'
 Apr 23 2011, 06:21:17 PM
2 Male versions I know of. Not sure that either are Broadway legends though!
Alfie Boe Spotify Link
Stuart Davey Spotify Link

White people are 'ethnic' too
 Aug 25 2010, 01:22:41 PM
"I don't mind colourblind casting when it isn't important to the plot (Hairspray etc...)"

Ummm...have you SEEN Hairspray? Race is MOST CERTAINLY important to the plot.

I know. I meant that as an example of where it is important to the plot. I haven't seen many of the other shows mentioned where race is important.

White people are 'ethnic' too
 Aug 22 2010, 06:01:33 PM
How would you feel about a production of RENT in which ethnicities were jumbled up?
I saw Rent Remixed in London and the races were definitely jumbled up, more so because of the understudies that were on. Joanne and Mimi were white, and When I saw it Benny was white and angel was black. Also the characters were British! (not just the actors)

I don't mind colourblind casting when it isn't important to the plot (Hairspray etc...) or confusing (young and older characters differe

Audience members leaving their seats before curtain call
 Apr 22 2010, 06:23:31 PM
I wait right until the end of the playout music and then applaud the orchestra (if i am near the front I often go and watch them play the playout music).
Is it true Broadway singers lip-sync for some shows?
 Feb 6 2010, 12:12:26 PM
Dante, When I went on the tour of the Theatre Royal Drury Lane they were testing the voiceover that is near the end of the show (So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship...). It was really odd hearing it out of context, I'd guess it would be the same with the click tracks.

And I don't care if the Wedding Singer was on click for the ensemble, I still loved it!

Is it true Broadway singers lip-sync for some shows?
 Feb 6 2010, 12:06:56 PM
I don't know for certain but I would have thought that a number like You Can't Stop the Beat would be sung live with a backup playing too rather than just relying on the recorded track.

The place I have noticed it most is in shows with children in. In the recent UK tour of Evita the little girl who sings a solo was clearly miming. It seems that the Kenwright production of Whistle Down the Wind that was on a couple of years back in London used recordings for the children apart from the l

Songs with body parts/anatomy
 Jan 31 2010, 01:35:04 PM
I Believe my Heart - The Woman in White
Heaven Help my Heart - Chess
King of my Heart - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (2007 London revival)
A Heart Full of Love - Les Miserables
You'll be in My Heart - Tarzan
One Hand, One Heart - West Side Story
Tire Tracks and Broken Heart - Whistle Down the Wind
Headlong - We Will Rock You
Chip on my Shoulder - Legally Blonde
Hot Legs
re: Final Bows...
 Jan 29 2010, 05:59:09 PM
I don't like it when the whole audience is encouraged to clap along with music when the cast come out for their bows as it is difficult to show appreciation for a particular cast member without whooping or something like that.

I think some megamixes are a bit crazy. In Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat they sing every song again, Never Forget (take that musical) was the same.

I do like when there is a final little singing bit like in the Producers and (I think) Spama

re: Theater etiquette gone forever?
 Jan 2 2010, 04:13:41 PM
Before I got my current job the only time I would ever turn my phone off was at the theatre, not silent but off! (I have to have it turned off at work now).

It's parents that I've had problems with...like the woman who sat directly behind me (in the second row) and talked through about 4/5 of "The Phantom of the Opera." She just HAD to explain the show to her two kids line-by-line.
I have to agree with that. In the way you have noticed I have had parents behind me expl

re: Too many Billys?
 Dec 30 2009, 05:18:06 PM
I haven't seen Billy Elliott but 3 Billys always seemed too few to me. If one gets ill or goes on vacation then they are down to 2 straight away then if one of those gets injured they have only one. It could happen quite easily.
When the tour of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang came to Southampton I think they had 5 sets of Jeremy and Jemimas with 3 sets of understudies too.

Are there understudy Billys too?

re: Songs that give you chills
 Oct 16 2009, 08:44:18 AM
Lots of the ones already mentioned have that affect on me, especially This is the Hour from Miss Saigon and a few song in Les Miserables.
The Act 1 finale and The Asylum in Woman in White are pretty emotionally charged and moving, especially seeing them performed live. No Matter What from Whistle Down the Wind (NOT the Boyzone version!!!) has a huge affect on me and is a very moving piece with the innocence of youth and the anger and fear of the adults playing off each other and elements of

re: Does anyone remember when TKTS was a great deal?!
 Oct 2 2009, 12:50:53 PM
I know TKTS in London is different to TKTS in New York but it is going the same way. With the service fee it is about £30 ($50) or more for most shows (and it seems more and more aren't half price but they don't state the actual discount anymore, I think that is to catch people out who presume it is half price) and several are £45 ($75).
I use TKTS when I am not sure what I want to see, so discount codes are no good, or not sure if I have time to see a show.

re: 'Gary Coleman will now be played by a MALE actor.'
 Sep 14 2009, 06:06:50 PM
I believe the part is male in London because it wasn't going to be Gary Coleman, they didn't think us Brits would know who he was. The character was going to be a random handyman, which turned back into Gary but by then the part was male so it stuck.
re: Why Standbys?
 Jul 31 2009, 02:19:55 AM
That's 100% not true. Kerry's standby was Julie Reiber, who joined the company when Stephanie J. Block was still Elphaba (back in early May)....
Sorry, I meant Wicked London for both my examples. I didn't male that clear.

re: Why Standbys?
 Jul 30 2009, 07:00:22 PM
I love seeing standbys and understudies, they bring something different to the role.
I know Wicked recently had to take on an actress temporarily as ensemble and first cover Nessarose as the normal understudy was out (not sure why). Also when Kerry Ellis first took over the new standby wasn't ready when Kerry got sick soon after starting so the understudy was on quite a few times.
As has been mentioned a few times it depends on the situation and the circumstances, I have seen Phantom of

re: Moving Theatres?
 Jul 7 2009, 05:03:47 PM
Avenue Q has just moved in London after a brief 'vacation' (announced closing and a replacement then sales picked up enough to justify it is my understanding).
The recent Little Shop of Horrors in London moved from the Duke of York's Theatre to the Ambassadors Theatre after originally starting at the Menier Chocolate Factory.
Mamma Mia moved from the Prince Edward to the Prince of Wales before Mary Poppins moved in.

I don't know how much it happens on Broadway but it isn't th

re: Web Site Story
 Jun 29 2009, 05:55:17 PM
That was AWESOME!
re: Clips from ALL the nominated shows
 May 28 2009, 04:16:23 AM
They don't show for me either (tried Firefox, Safari and Opera on a Mac)
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You