News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BJR

BJR Profile Photo
Member Name: BJR
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 12:32:45 PM

berniesb!tch said: "I also really hope Jaja’s gets a play nom and some acting noms. I loved that show so much!"

It def gets a Play nod. It's remembered fondly by the community and is starting to hit regionals next season. Acting nods are harder since it was so long ago, but possible!

What Next For The Majestic?  Apr 29 2024, 12:30:44 PM

And Tom Kirdahy being there with Blottcher is interesting. If it's not one of his shows, then why would he be there?

Could it be SPIDER WOMAN? (Not that he doesn't have many shows in the works besides that.) Big house for that.

What Next For The Majestic?  Apr 29 2024, 02:06:11 AM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "While I can’t say this was the one of Scott Rudin 5 show plan that I was looking most forward to. I am curious to see if he or his associates are attached. As Audra McDonald in Gypsy was one of his five revivals he had planned after better midler in hello Dolly. (The other beinh Hugh Jackman music man. … then a little night music (Julie andrews and cate Blanchett. Which I unfortunately think will no longer happen as it was originally planned for 202

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 01:08:10 PM

Also worth noting London didn't get that Mendes/Marshall revival. (They got an earlier Mendes solo version in 1993.) So, it has been 30 years since they've seen Cabaret.

In the US, it's only been 10 since the revival of the revival. When the 1998 revival happened, it had only been 12 years, but that was an unsuccessful revival by Prince in the 80s. So, it had been 30 years since an acclaimed production.

It's likely Americans are not only doing that thing of being

FORBIDDEN BROADWAY Coming to Broadway This Summer?  Apr 26 2024, 12:50:02 PM

Uh the landscape this spring/summer has been famously crowded with new productions, and that was known when they announced.

In short, they didn't sell many tix.

OH MARY! Officially Transferring to Lyceum Theatre this Summer - 12 Weeks  Apr 26 2024, 12:48:53 PM

quizking101 said: "As far as I know, Buena Vista Social Club is looking to take the Broadhurst. The Jones will likely be free, as will the Belasco. As for other small to mid size houses, whatever will open up remains anyone’s guess"

Yup and Jones is likely Swept Away. MSAQ isn't coming in...

As for Mary!, I admit I'm nervous to see this again in, well, mixed company. It was distinctly different to see A Strange Loop Off-Bway to Bway. True, audien

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 26 2024, 12:41:06 PM

Being in a hit goes a long way with the Tonys. And Comer was (also) in a hit. As was Hayes.

I think it's Strong's to lose for that reason. Far less likely it wins for Play revival (prob Appropriate), so they'll like giving that hit show an award for Strong.

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 11:15:47 AM

Kad said: "Illinoise seems far closer to something like Movin' Out than anything else."

Oh 100%

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage  Apr 23 2024, 01:14:12 PM

I heard the Jones. But obviously they can't announce because the show in there only opened yesterday.

2024 Drama League Award nominations announced  Apr 22 2024, 11:31:08 AM

Sauja said: "It usually goes to a Broadway performance, so my money is on Best Performance going to Groff or Paulson, but if someone from off-Broadwaywere to sneak in, I wouldn’t be totally shocked if Cole Escola managed to nab it."

Completely agree. My money is on those 3.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 11:28:38 AM

sinister teashop said: "Owen22 said: "A London theatre website tries to make sense of it all:

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/what-is-going-on-with-the-cabaret-reviews_1594068/
"

I think the article is right about one point thathere in the US fascism is currently less "fascinating" because it's so close to home.
"

I think these points they make are stronger:

"But I think there’s something more artistically significant going on here. Frecknall’s vision, influenced more by continental theatrical trends, interprets the material quite clearly through a class lens – the rise of fascism is tied to the acquiescence of the middle classes (the company all don greige suits as the show comes to a close, desaturating the earlier extravagance).

Nazi Ernst Ludwig is only able to continue his hate-fuelled work because those like cash-strapped writer Cliff Bradshaw are willing to take on lucrative jobs without looking too closely at unpleasant realities. The interpretations of numbers like “I Don’t Care Much” and “Cabaret” act as central tenets to the overall vision. Class discourse, invariably, feels more pronounced in the UK than the US."

All very fair points.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 21 2024, 12:20:00 PM

It's interesting all the glowing things I heard personally about this production while running in London, and now the cool reception on these boards.

And while it was fair to question Patti's GYPSY revival 5 years after Bernadette's, this one feels a bit different. The last revival was a full 10 years ago. And although I thought it was still a fantastic production, it also had a slightly dated sensibility to it, since we were no longer in the heroin-chic hypersexual 90s.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 21 2024, 12:08:53 PM

After the reviews last night, I think Hell's Kitchen is once again the likely frontrunner.

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall  Apr 20 2024, 11:52:50 AM

Maybe since they're doing one song per performer, they're adding 87 songs in to give more star turn numbers. (e.g. "Lucy and Jessie" and "Ah But Underneath")

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 20 2024, 11:51:22 AM

Jeff Tupolski said: "Book of a Musical

• Days of Wine and Roses — Craig Lucas
  • Here Lies Love
  • Illinoise — Justin Peck & Jackie Sibblies Drury
  • The Outsiders — Justin Levine & Adam Rapp
  • Suffs — Shaina Taub

Original Score

• Days of Wine and Roses — A
STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 20 2024, 11:42:14 AM

Huss417 said: "It was nice waking up to seeing these reviews. I loved the production and can't wait to go back again.

Earlier this season I thought Appropriate was the shoe in for Best Play but think it might go to Stereophonic. This is my version of Sophie's Choice this season.
"

Well, with Appropriate deemed a Revival, it looks like that locked up that, and Stereophonic will easily win Best Play.

SUFFS Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 19 2024, 11:54:59 AM

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Justin Peck would need to win both director and choreography for his show to claim best musical I think, and I don't see him taking down Maria Freidman in directing.

I think The Outsiders still has a good enough reception to join these two. Then...who knows. Maybe they just go back to the closed shows and Here Lies Love and Days of Wine and Roses BOTH get in? Hell's Kitchen and Water for Elephants are possible but far from sure things."

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Apr 15 2024, 02:20:18 PM

JasonC3 said: "And for people complaining about people complaining about absence of a mansion, let's not forget all the posted laments of a Sweeney without the whistle. Some elements of staging become so indelibly associated with a show that it is natural a fair percentage of people will miss them. Arguing about that seems foolhardy."

Y'all, the mansion in the film is a metaphor. Doesn't mean it's the only metaphor one can employ.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 02:15:13 PM

OhHiii said: "Ok, perhaps not re: tech noms.

Also, MRJ has now responded to Sara and completely contradicted his very own argument. He himself is telling a critic how to approach her work that she should not be critiquing how an artist approaches their own. He's made this exchange a....loop.

https://x.com/TheLivingMJ/status/1779915256149450929
"

But he's exactly right. If a critics wants a certain type of show, absolutely nothing is stopping them from making one themselves. Evaluating the effectiveness of what the creatives were trying to create is an entirely separate thing.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 15 2024, 02:12:10 PM

lopside said: "You might not remember the Mendes cabaret, but clearly it colors your perception about what the cabaret venues could look like. There was nothing like the Kit Kat Club anyways, it is an amalgam ofmany places. It is meant to capture something of the time,a mirror image of the way we live now, and a something of a Groszrenderingcome to life; so many of these establishments catered to the middle class too. If you saw the documentary on Eldorado on Netflix, with its recrea

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You