Profile for BJR

BJR Profile Photo
Member Name: BJR
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE to announce closing date soon  Feb 22 2024, 10:21:26 AM

Yeah it's nut is in the 700s, which they usually hit. But the advance must just not be there and no reason to start losing more money.

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES - Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Feb 20 2024, 09:39:46 AM

AC126748 said: "And although Kelli O'Hara sings beautifully and does the best she can on the acting front, the character of Kirsten felt very one-dimensional in comparison to Joe.

That's my issue with it and why I found it kinda moralizing. Once he gets clean, it turns into a play solely about Will she see the light? It doesn't bring you into her experience, but places you outside of it, judging it.

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews  Feb 15 2024, 09:59:15 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "People attach themselves to multiple shows with regularity, and the development process takes so long that there's no telling when –– or if –– these things actually make it to Broadway."

Exactly. The timetables of these things are a bit unpredictable, especially when you're juggling so many peoples' schedules. You work on a show and hope it moves. If it does, you make it work. Plus directors are used

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Feb 14 2024, 08:42:54 AM

ACL2006 said: "This production being overly choreographed is still dumbfounding. The worst part of this production"

Hard disagree. Best part of the production. That and the lighting design.

Broadway Cares ripped for directing funds to Gaza  Feb 14 2024, 08:39:03 AM

binau said: "Gaza has the international attention right now and governments will support and provide aid. These same governments are not going to support actors. That’s why we need charities for actors."

Don't think anything BC/EFA did here was illegal or outside the rules, but I do agree with this. The board obviously felt differently, as is their right.

That said, aid to victims in Gaza isn't inherently political. Too many believe there can be

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?  Feb 7 2024, 10:40:16 AM

I've heard Evan is incredible

Taylor Mac’s “Bark of Millions” at BAM  Feb 7 2024, 10:39:21 AM

^Co-sign this, pretty much all of it.

And while some stretches - and performers - were not as effective as others, the highs are very high. Of course, whenever Taylor is center stage, it is transcendent. Other huge standouts were performers Jack Fuller and El Beh. Jack's song about James Baldwin and El Beh's spanish song both stopped the show. Oh, and that drummer!

The Search for Dolly Parton  Jan 30 2024, 12:22:22 PM

What's strikes me as odd about this concept is I don't think mid career Dolly and Dolly now as being that different. As least Cher or Donna or Michael had 3 very distinct personas, though Donna's was a girl none of us knew and Michael's and Cher's were famous.

Maybe a child Dolly would be powerful for her upbringing in the Smoky Mountains, but young performer Dolly isn't so different from 70 yo Dolly...

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film  Jan 26 2024, 10:59:30 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "A friend is working on this film (production wise) and principal photography begins this April 2024 so it is indeed in full pre-production right now. Big musical dance numbers are to be expected in this film adaptation."

Fantastic to hear. I was just wondering if anyone had an update, as I really hope this happens.

Broadway Sunset Will Be Open Ended Run  Jan 21 2024, 11:10:56 AM

12 weeks is a very limited run for such an anticipated performance. But then, of course, smart to get to renegotiate the contract ;)

Can we get Jonathan Bailey to NY?  Jan 15 2024, 10:34:50 AM

I've wondered the same! I imagine he'll have film and tv gigs lined up. But hopefully we can get him over here soon.

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews  Jan 11 2024, 11:50:27 AM

Totally hear that. But dramatically I feel like it stalls. You are on his side, he's given so much nuance and wisdom and she looks crazy and irrational. For me I was 20 minutes ahead of it. So, it played like a morality tale by the end. And not one I disagree with! But all the same, heavy handed.

In short, I don't feel like it brought me closer to addiction, but just reminded me addiction is harmful to everyone. Which is less interesting imho

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews  Jan 10 2024, 10:19:17 AM

Broadway Flash said: "Saw this tonight. What is the purpose of this show? Is it to act as a cautionary tale? I found it to be a little preachy at times. I didn’t think it was as dark as people were saying. It feels like a less good staging of next to normal. Kelli’s scene when she’s vacuuming was the standout for me, and gave a fantastic performance. I always have mixed feeling about Adam guettel. He’s certainly no Richard Rodgers to say the least. I like much

Tim Minchin on why Groundhog Day Failed in New York  Jan 7 2024, 10:10:21 AM

He's not wrong. Regular theatre goers are a limited, finite audience. Sure, if you break out into the broader market with something from pop culture (e.g. Back to the Future, or a movie star), that solves that. Otherwise, it's very competitive niche market. And if people already have 2-3 must-see musicals (not counting plays and revivals), it's an uphill battle to get real buzz.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?  Jan 5 2024, 03:43:24 PM

RippedMan said: "More curious about the director and the vision."

That's what I thought. Any word on who's doing it?

MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews  Jan 4 2024, 09:33:35 AM

Isn't it kinda odd the day after they announce Urie will be replaced after Jan 21, Ethan Slater is out til Jan 21?

I bet it's just a coincidence and I was planning on finally catching it, so just disappointed it won't be the full cast.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 4 2024, 09:29:30 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "And I reeeally want Laura Benanti as Tuesday Night Norma."

Is that a good fit for her vocally? I feel like they're likely to with someone more known for pop belts - say, Jessica Vosk.

Is Days of Wine and Roses the early favorite for Best Original Score at the Tonys?  Jan 4 2024, 09:26:30 AM

I mean, with many yet to open and on pedigree alone, sure. But I don't think it wins. Stereophonic is likely to make a splash with more seats to sell, and I wouldn't rule out The Notebook.

The Next Great Broadway Memoir?  Jan 3 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Harvey's memoir is simply wonderful. With all the heart and insight you'd expect from him.

Charles Busch's memoir is also pretty great. Very different in tone from Harvey's, but smart and also quite funny.

And of course, the Mary Rodgers memoir is one of the greatest things she, er, wrote, or dictated. Acerbic, smart, and witty,

Cabaret first week of previews tickets  Dec 29 2023, 11:25:11 AM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Yeah right now very back row is 166. Anything near a table is 7-800"

That is insanity.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You