News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BJR

BJR Profile Photo
Member Name: BJR
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 28 2024, 08:18:33 AM

HAHA the thirst of this. Yes, it's in the show. It's at the end of the "Body" walk.

OH, MARY! Previews
 Jun 27 2024, 09:24:34 AM

IdinaBellFoster said: "Also if anyone sat in the orchestra or balcony partial view seats would love to hear how actually “partial view” they are."

Seconded. Saw it OffBway and want to again, but with these steep prices, I'd prefer one of these, especially given they're ~$100 as it is!

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
 Jun 26 2024, 08:21:15 AM

RUkiddingme said: "Tommy, like Spamalot earlier this season and Dancing last season never had a chance.

Neither shows needed a revival. And with out stars?

What were the producers thinking?
"

Exactly. That's the state of things right now: new shows don't need stars, revivals do.

Broadway Bares Hit the Strip Sunday
 Jun 26 2024, 08:18:37 AM

SeanD2 said: "Sorry, in 2024 I have no interest in the objectification of the human body to raise money. Between promoting body shaming and creating an environment where assault is possible (DC's equivalent fundraiser had to be shut down due to the behavior of organizers towards participants), it's just not an event BCEFA should continue to hold or benefit from. There are much safer and more inclusive ways BCEFA can raise money."

People are allowed to consent to their bodies being objectified. That's allowed, and I wouldn't want to live in a society where that was forbidden because you don't like it.

First of all, stripping is still a profession. (It's 2024 and "Sex work is real work." So, doing it for charity seems wonderful to me.

OH, MARY! Previews
 Jun 25 2024, 09:11:04 AM

I've heard while an extension isn't guaranteed, they have the theatre open-ended.

Slave Play. Not a movie. A play.
 Jun 23 2024, 08:18:23 AM

quizking101 said: "It’s part of a deal he made with HBO. However, HBO wanted to make Slave Play a movie, which Harris refused to do, so he decided to make a documentary about the making of the play. But also he slacked on it for quite some time and HBO was getting testy because he got paid a nice advance and still hadn’t produced anything"

Surprised to hear he's pulling the same stunts he did with theatres in town. Well, I guess not so surprised.

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 15 2024, 07:48:19 AM

ACL2006 said: "It appears to be selling well, but I don't think this would sell on Broadway if it were to transfer."

It's definitely selling well, and those tickets ain't cheap! I think the curiosity and word-of-mouth gimmick factor cant be ignored on this one. If it's good, it could be a big commercial hit.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Jun 13 2024, 05:12:51 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "I’d been asking around and the last I heard is that they want to go with someone who isn’t a “name” but has some Broadway experience (along the Rachel Tucker route). Now that was over a month ago and as always things can change but I sort of enquiring at that point because I really got the impression it’lljustbe someone who will in no way detract from Nicole’s “star”, if that makes sense.

Of course I wr

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 12 2024, 03:38:51 PM

I mean, Stereophonic pulling a rare play win for Score with no performance is akin to the lack of a Bette performance in 2017. It'll go down as a baffling decision.

Glad to hear it might perform.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/2/24
 Jun 5 2024, 09:41:43 AM

Kad said: "I think the absolute nadir of “why?” Tony performances was when the Royal Caribbean cruise cast of Hairspray performed in 2012, in an absolutely shameless corporate plug."

Wasn't that part of Howard Sherman's push to include "all types of theatre," just as when the national tour of Mamma Mia performed (the year before?)?

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 4 2024, 12:30:16 AM

So jealous. But also, I heard it's coming over next season...

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
 Jun 3 2024, 09:29:25 AM

sppunk said: "The fact she blames Biden for a lack of NYC hotel rooms isall one needs to know about her opinion."

Exactly. This conversation is happening for one reason only.

Violent crime is down. Period.

Broadway sales are down before pre-pandemic *like every theatre scene regionally across the country.* Sometimes that's related to the areas of town affected by covid, but sometimes not. A wildly misleading article with a specific motivation.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 1 2024, 07:53:18 AM

And the deafening screams after, Sing out, Louise!

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 May 31 2024, 05:48:54 PM

I think having Louise be black and June biracial is interesting. Do they always have different fathers? I know the script doesnt day, but I feel like I havent seen anyone suggest that before. And on that note, Tulsa being white is also an interesting dynamic and politics.

Jennifer Lopez to Star in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Film
 May 24 2024, 11:40:26 AM

ljay889 said: "John Kander was involved in the recording of the songs and was supposedly astounded by Lopezand said it was “the best he ever heard.”

https://variety.com/2024/scene/columns/jennifer-lopez-kiss-of-the-spider-woman-john-kander-1236011668/
"

So exciting. Still pinching myself this is happening. I hope it's successful enough to make the musical a viable commercial stage property - Bway, regional, whatever.

NYTW 24/25 season announced
 May 24 2024, 11:38:50 AM

Excited a version of 'Cairo' is finally coming to town. The studio album the composers put out is great, really unique for a musical score.

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
 May 23 2024, 11:56:40 AM

I've also heard some word of a tense room between people not otherwise mentioned in this thread.

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 22 2024, 11:07:30 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Stagestrucklad2 said: "I have no doubt this script and score will be extremely similar to the original and 2009 revival versions."

Especially since the recent track record is of one show each season transferring...

Mayer-helmed GALILEO musical and more part of Berkeley Rep season
 May 18 2024, 01:08:55 PM

Auggie27 said: "The Chronicle pan - performances aside - is rather startling. No effort was made to see the glass half full, or to in any way acknowledge the value of a story with thematic parallels; on the contrary, she finds the effort to find relevance strained. Havingnot seen the show, I'm in no position todisputeher take, but must cavil anyway on one point: the incidentals in this slice of history are not as well known as she opines. Most theatergoers will arrive wi

Adam Guettel deserves to win
 May 12 2024, 11:43:53 AM

Kad said: "Suffs seems like the safest consensus choice for the win- unobjectionable, timely, written by a rising star female composer.
Stereophonic has to overcome thebias against plays in this category- it’s not clear to me how entrenched that is, but it is obviously there(I personally thinkit’s silly and reductive). I think it has the most momentum, though- in a season without a lot of passionate feelings, people really love it.

It's that last part

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You