Non Equity Tours

Timon3
#1Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 6:37pm

You know those small tours that do one night only then move to the next town for maybe two nights, think it is nicknamed the bus and truck tour. So how does this work when they hit a big town, wouldn’t that set look awful when it hits somewhere like the Pantages, Los Angeles, where the guests are used to seeing first National tours?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#2Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 6:58pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but often these tours are using the original designs and/or sets from the Broadway production, no? So it may not always look incredibly cheap. I’ve seen plenty of Non-Eq tours that came with a great package. I’ve also seen a fair share of Non-Eq tours that delivered a better product than an Equity one. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

QueenTwinnied
#3Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 7:38pm

I think it just depends. The current noneq Hairspray tour has a very flimsy, cheap looking set. I literally saw pieces swaying from air movement. Whereas the Come From Away tour is using the same set minus the turntable (I believe). 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 7:43pm

The set will definitely feel out of place in massive theatres like the Pantages, but another note is that a lot of the “one night stop” venues might have limited backstage so scenic pieces might be cut just for that performance. Or when they play an Arena I don’t believe they can utilize any scenery that would be flown up in a fly space.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KarenValentine'sheadband
#5Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 7:52pm

Watched the non equity The Cher Show on tour in Oct. I looked pretty good. You could tell it was lacking but it wasn't terrible. It was a fun show. I enjoyed it. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 8:24pm

I’ve yet to see a non-eq show that looked better than any Equity show… 

But usually at the bigger venues they’ll look better because they utilize the full set and are usually there longer. 

I’ve done a non eq tour and we had a A B C and D version of our set. At the worst of times we only could use the chairs and tables and no actual set pieces. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/26/24 at 9:50pm

I've seen numerous non-equity tours at the State Theater in NJ. The majority have been just as good as an equity production. The Memphis tour back ten years ago was the best non-equity tour I've ever seen. The recent Come From Away tour is nearly as good as the Bway production minus the turntable.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Timon3
#8Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 8:42am

ACL2006 said: "I've seen numerous non-equity tours at the State Theater in NJ. The majority have been just as good as an equity production. The Memphis tour back ten years ago was the best non-equity tour I've ever seen. The recent Come From Away tour is nearly as good as the Bway production minus the turntable."

In fairness Come From Away like A Chorus Line and Chicago are a gift they have an awesome score and a brilliant book, which thankfully covers for lack of set, so easy to replicate the original version. Maybe Book of Mormon falls in this category?

Thinking of shows that are more reliant on a comprehensive set.

I would also think there are shows you couldn’t do on a non equity circuit as the show  is reliant on a detailed set?

Updated On: 1/27/24 at 08:42 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#9Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 12:10pm

For me, the main issue is the ethics of what we the audience are paying versus what the actors, musicians, and crew members are getting paid. I just looked to see how much it would cost to take my daughter to the new Peter Pan tour, and orchestra seats are $225 each. Thats ridiculous on a variety of levels, but especially when I know that the cast is making half of what they would if it were an Equity tour, yet the audience is paying the same amount. It’s just gross to me both as an actor and an audience member.

Chaz Hands
#10Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 12:15pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "For me, the main issue is the ethics of what we the audience are paying versus what the actors, musicians, and crew members are getting paid. I just looked to see how much it would cost to take my daughter to the new Peter Pan tour, and orchestra seats are $225 each. Thats ridiculous on a variety of levels, but especially when I know that the cast is making half of what they would if it were an Equity tour, yet the audience is paying the same amount. It’s just gross to me both as an actor and an audience member."

Do not pay $225 for the Peter Pan national tour. I saw it in St. Paul, and while the special effects are stunning, so many of the acting and directorial choices are baffling. The audience didn’t give it a standing ovation, and I’ve never seen that at a national tour.

The Distinctive Baritone
#11Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 1:39pm

Especially after reading the current Playbill article, I’m really curious to see what they did with it…I agree that the Native American stuff needed to be rewritten, but some of the other choices, ie the Darlings live in the modern United States just seem excessive. They are trying so hard to be progressive, yet it’s NON-UNION…oh the irony.

bowtie7
#12Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 4:40pm

I’ve done a non eq tour and we had a A B C and D version of our set. At the worst of times we only could use the chairs and tables and no actual set pieces."

I would love to have you elaborate on the differences of the versions.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/27/24 at 6:07pm

The set was two levels with staircases, etc. We played major theaters and a lot of smaller town theaters where the loading dock just couldn't accommodate some of the set pieces. So sometimes we wouldn't be able to use the top level. Or we had a few set pieces that rolled on from the wings, but if there was no wing space, we'd have to cut those and just use chairs. In one instance, the D version of the set, nothing could fit because it was an old movie house and the only loading door was a literal door so nothing fit. So we just used the back curtain and chairs. 

BETTY22
#14Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/29/24 at 2:31pm

Can the authors stop these tours? 

Timon3
#15Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/29/24 at 4:37pm

RippedMan said: "The set was two levels with staircases, etc. We played major theaters and a lot of smaller town theaters where the loading dock just couldn't accommodate some of the set pieces. So sometimes we wouldn't be able to use the top level. Or we had a few set pieces that rolled on from the wings, but if there was no wing space, we'd have to cut those and just use chairs. In one instance, the D version of the set, nothing could fit because it was an old movie house and the only loading door was a literal door so nothing fit. So we just used the back curtain and chairs."

Sounds like Next to Normal.

So how hard is it to work a tour?  When you have to breakdown in one venue, then travel to the next one for the next evening, build the set. Does the lighting and the sound have to go in as well. Must be working some crazy long shifts.

bowtie7
#16Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/29/24 at 4:52pm

BETTY22 said: "Can the authors stop these tours?"

For newer shows, probably only if they made it a requirement of their agreement with the original producers--who usually license the show to another company who specialized in these tours. (I can't image many authors who would risk loosing a Broadway production over this.) 

For older shows that the original producers no longer control, The discission to allow a production or not usually falls to the author (usually in consultation with agent/manager). In this case, there could be times when a possible low end tour could be declined (if the authors are hoping for a better revival or feel a bad tour could hurt the show's reputation).

JSquared2
#17Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/29/24 at 5:19pm

BETTY22 said: "Can the authors stop these tours?"

The short answer is yes.  Whoever the producer of the tour is (whether it is Equity or non-Equity), they need to license the rights. which would require approvals from the Authors (or their Estates).  

For years, Jerry Herman put the kibosh on many productions of his shows.  For example, he wouldn't allow any "Encores" type staging of Mack & Mabel because he was holding out hope for a first-class Broadway revival. He stopped many potential DOLLY and MAME revivals because he didn't like the casting.  Herman is an extreme -- but the Authors always have control over who presents their work.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#18Non Equity Tours
Posted: 1/30/24 at 9:53am

There is currently a non-equity tour out now, and the base pay for the ensemble is what I used to get for doing non-equity tours... THIRTY YEARS AGO.  It used to be that those tours were the only place that young performers could be paid well and gain valuable experience, but it seems things have changed and producers are taking advantage of them.  

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Timon3
#19Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:18pm

It is a had life on the road, especially if you are constantly on the move.

Thinking Wicked, Phantom, Harry Potter, Aladdin or the Lion king could never become a non equity tour, as the show is too big for that. I mentioned up thread that A Chorus Line, Chicago, Come From Away are a gift for non equity tours as the set lends itself to be done on a small scale and maybe Book of Mormon, could also see the same gift for Avenue Q, Spring Awakening, Rent to Next to Normal, as these shows have small sets.

From current Broadway shows: Hadestown, Spamalot, Six, maybe &Juliet. Oddly enough but it won’t happen for a very long time, if at all but Hamilton? 

There is nothing like seeing a big Broadway set, but also intriguing to see the craft of making a show condensed.

Sorry I’m rambling.

Updated On: 2/1/24 at 01:18 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#20Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 3:30pm

I was tempted to see the non-equity tour of Annie that recently passed through DC, but decided against it.  The reviews I had seen online mentioned that the set looked cheap, which I'm not surprised, since this tour does a lot of one-nighter's.  I got to see the original production with the original cast just before Andrea McArdle left, and all of the productions of this show I have seen since then have paled in comparison. The tour was definitely not at a reduced prices, and looked to have sold pretty well when I looked into tickets.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#21Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 4:02pm

IronMan said: "There is currently a non-equity tour out now, and the base pay for the ensemble is what I used to get for doing non-equity tours... THIRTY YEARS AGO. It used to be that those tours were the only place that young performers could be paid well and gain valuable experience, but it seems things have changed and producers are taking advantage of them. "

Huh? A non-eq tour of what show exactly?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#22Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 9:17pm

It's tough to beat the inflatable Cats set for "I guess this isn't Broadway" - and I do wonder if that set ever deflated during a performance. I mean - it had to happen at least once.

The Distinctive Baritone
#23Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 10:22pm

DiscoCrows said: "IronMan said: "There is currently a non-equity tour out now, and the base pay for the ensemble is what I used to get for doing non-equity tours... THIRTY YEARS AGO. It used to be that those tours were the only place that young performers could be paid well and gain valuable experience, but it seems things have changed and producers are taking advantage of them. "

Huh? A non-eq tour of what show exactly?
"

They are probably referring to Peter Pan. I don’t remember the exact base salary that was listed on the audition notice, but it was in the ballpark of $700 a week I think. Actual Broadway tour contracts vary, but on a show like Hamilton orThe Lion King the minimum is around $2,000 plus per diem.

Updated On: 2/1/24 at 10:22 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#24Non Equity Tours
Posted: 2/1/24 at 10:34pm

I’m watching a video of the tour of Oklahoma from the early aughts and if I recall it was non-equity, yet it has a pretty full set, with a turntable and everything. Did non-equity tours have more pizazz in the past or was this an outlier?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Latest Posts