Naked Boys Singing has closed

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#1Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:28pm

Last Saturday I had some extra time alone in the city and I always joked about seeing Naked Boys Singing and I figured if I could get a cheap ticket, it would be a fun thing to see between French Republic and Days of Wine and Roses (lol). So I went to the box office to see if they had any kind of rush (they did) so I went. 

It turns out the performance I randomly attended was actually their last performance. Nothing was said at the show, their social medias aren’t promoting the closing. Nothing. I only know because a friend knows a producer of the show. Then I looked up a cast member on social and it confirmed it was closed. 

Just surprised it closed without even an announcement. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:41pm

I feel bad for them. I'm pretty sure one of the cast member's grandmother runs their website and socials, because they've come and gone so many times at so many venues, no one has any idea.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#3Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:44pm

Damn, I had plans to not see it.

Broadway61004
#4Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:59pm

Impeach2017 said: "Damn, I had plans to not see it."

Some good news for you: You don't have to change your plans at all.

berniesb!tch
#5Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/29/24 at 2:59pm

I thought this has closed years ago. Didn't even know it was back

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 1/31/24 at 6:02pm

Last time I saw it, there was no acknowledgment of who the cast members even were. Just anonymous people with rent to pay...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/1/24 at 9:13am

Hater! Long time no see! Hoping all is well with you. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#8Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/1/24 at 9:35am

My brain read this as "Naked Boys Singing has clothed." 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#9Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/1/24 at 9:44am

I think it's hilarious that this fine publication censored my comment about grandma running off with the loot!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#10Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/2/24 at 6:07pm

dramamama611 said: "Hater! Long time no see! Hoping all is well with you."

Doing fine. Just realized this site is NOT blocked by my latest employer whereas so many other things are, heh.

Still attend lots of things and visit NYC far too often, but less concerned about writing/commenting about it all that much. Hope all is well with you, too.

jimmycurry01
#11Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/2/24 at 6:45pm

I've seen the filmed version. It is definitely a snoozer once the novelty wears off. I can't say I'm surprised. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/2/24 at 8:13pm

jimmycurry01 said: "I've seen the filmed version. It is definitely a snoozer once the novelty wears off. I can't say I'm surprised."

This revival was at least a shortened version that ran as one act and cut a few songs so it was shorter than the filmed version. I mean the run time was shorter. Ahem.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#13Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/3/24 at 3:27am

They were doing one performance a week and it seemed like they were trying to reach a quota or the show was cancelled.

mdangora
#14Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/3/24 at 7:16pm

This thread is cracking me up - as someone VERY close to the show for MANY years, just thought I'd pop on to clarify a few things :)

Yes, it closed last week.  As a show that has played several venues, moved, closed, reopened, etc over the past 26 years - There was no announcement since, who the hell knows, it will probably pop back up again somewhere down the line. Also, outside fo BwayWorld no one really runs the press releases. The show continued to sell very well/consistently up until the end. 

In a world were advertising on facebook/instagram (meta) is seemingly the most important place to advertise - meta wouldn't run ANY ads for the show.  Trust me, it was explored a hundred different ways by several marketing people at meta.  Even regular posts wouldn't get pushed out to people past anyone following the socials already.  In a world where fb/insta is everything, it was next-to impossible to spread the word there (god bless Grindr ads!)

The show was never cancelled because of a quota or lack of ticket sales.  It was cancelled once or twice over the last few years always due to illness within the company.

I loved the comment about the film being a snoozer so they're not surprised - well, the show still ran almost 15 years after the film was released...so yes, the film maybe doesn't have the same excitement once the novelty wears off, but it had zero effect on the stage shows success.

And the cast not always being the most publically advertised - trust me, a good handful of the cast members over the years have had their fair share of stalkers and creepers.  And while they loved being in the show and were very proud of it, being easily found on social media was something most of them wanted to avoid after some/a lot of inappropriate stuff from audience members.  

So, just wanted to pop on here to clarify some things that people seemed to have questions (or opinions) about.  Having played pretty consistantly since 1999 in NYC - probably won't be the last hurrah! :)

Updated On: 2/3/24 at 07:16 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#15Naked Boys Singing has closed
Posted: 2/3/24 at 9:37pm

UWS10023 said: "They were doing one performance a week and it seemed like they were trying to reach a quota or the show was cancelled."

I always found it odd they only did one show a week. Probably wasn't standard when they first started,

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.