News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CreatureKitchen

Member Name: CreatureKitchen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
 May 3 2024, 03:45:56 PM

Broadway Flash said: "I did not, pillock"

You are the one who brought up reviews and stated that Redmayne didn't get bad reviews. Both of us were just bringing up counterexamples to your point. No, there's not a 1:1 correlation between reviews and awards, but it's incorrect to say he didn't get any bad reviews.

May 3 2024, 03:25:35 PM

Broadway Flash said: "The nyt didnt even mention redmayne which was weird. His performance didn’t get bad reviews"

A few reviewers were critical of Redmayne. Vulture wrote, “As the Emcee, Eddie Redmayne is on his own look-at-me planet. His singing voice never leaves a plugged-up, somewhat Muppet-y place somewhere behind his nose, and his physical palette is all coyly twirling fingers and hunched-up, leering Gollum poses.”

Yes, Redmayne a

Apr 30 2024, 12:46:25 PM

Markie27 said: "Even though Cabaretgot a lot of nominations it’s very telling that they didn’t like the show as a whole - amidst all the nominations for its design and an embarrassment of riches in its performers, the couldn’t bring themselves to nominate the director. It’s like their making a statement - with all the talent of your cast and crew you not to mention a magnum opus of a score, you still managed to eff it all up by giving us this mess of a show.

Patti LuPone Will Return to Broadway in THE ROOMMATE Opposite Mia Farrow
 Apr 29 2024, 09:57:19 PM

Bill Snibson said: "inception said: "Ms Lupone is a consumate professional. She simply expects the people she works with - and the audience - to be as responsible & respectful."

Sure. Now talk to any of her castmates...
"

Sure! I’ll ask Mandy Patinkin, Laura Benanti, Audra McDonald, Michael Cerveris, Boyd Gaines, Kevin Anderson, Aubrey Plaza and Joe Locke, etc etc etc

They all seem to hate her /sarcasm

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 29 2024, 05:08:51 PM

QueenAlice said: "CHICAGO has been able to run for decades because of its unusually low weekly running costs. CABARET has one of the highestweekly running costs in Broaday history. You can not compare them."

Exactly. Chicago was incredibly cheap to mount and costs very little to run. Meanwhile, Cabaret is one of the most (if not the most) expensive revivals ever. Lately, we've seen large productions like that flounder when their big star/s leave (like Sweeney Tod

Apr 29 2024, 03:58:25 PM

Also on the West End, it seems they've rotated in B and C-list TV stars mostly. That may be a viable option for filling a small West End theatre, but it's not going to sustain a Broadway run. Finding an A-list movie star who wants to be a replacement in a poorly reviewed Broadway show is going to be tough.

Riedel podcast covering SUNSET BOULEVARD with interviews including AWL, Close, LuPone, Sondheim
 Apr 28 2024, 05:32:08 PM

muscle23ftl said: "If any of you reading this would get a million dollars to leave a job, you'd be thrilled, but she is always out of touch and lives her privileged life and feels entitled."

I don't think many actors would be thrilled at getting cash instead of the opportunity to originate a once-in-a-lifetime role on Broadway that could massively boost their career. Especially not if you have to go through the ordeal of suing someone to get that money. Also,

Apr 28 2024, 04:38:28 PM

MezzA101 said: "https://variety.com/2024/legit/columns/cabaret-broadway-revival-reviews-male-critics-gayle-rankin-1235984887/#recipient_hashed=bcb67c2711d628387f045db3518221bd5ed178f4e4c2f399d0538a827b1aa7ad&recipient_salt=04f4c96625f0da735542bcec5f6a7b2ae30c104b0600175621c5a99e27a72d09&utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=newsalert&utm_content=517581_04-28-2024&utm_term=284729"

Plenty of actresses playing Sally have gotten glowing reviews from male critics over the decades. It seems pretty dismissive of every other actress who's played the role to say that Rankin's Sally is just too "raw" and "real" for the critics to understand. It also ignores the fact that much of the criticism towards Rankin's Sally has been that her over-the-top performance obscures the emotional complexity of the character.

Apr 23 2024, 01:11:34 PM

See, this discussion is why I’d love a major production to cast a POC as the Emcee or Sally. Nazis were more than happy to use marginalized people as entertainment, such as watching them perform at a club (at least until they grew in power and shut down those clubs). Just like they were happy to acknowledge the athleticism of black Olympians (because it allowed them to exoticize those people and draw a distinction between them and the Aryans).

And to MemorableU

Apr 23 2024, 01:03:42 AM

I don't think anyone is questioning whether a black man from Harrisburg going to Berlin to find himself makes sense. That makes perfect sense, and there was a diverse array of foreigners coming to Berlin at that time. The big leap is Cliff's relationship with Ernst. Why would Ernst, a Nazi, not only immediately befriend a black man with no reservations, but also trust him with important errands and information? Why would he allow himself to be taught English by Cliff, who he would alm

Apr 22 2024, 02:35:54 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Echoing the question of ifAmerican critics are going to have similar differing opinions on “Sunset Boulevard”. That’s a production that I enjoyed some elements of (the cast, mainly) but just NEVER got the insane hype it’s received everywhere."

I thought Sunset was very interesting and had a lot of brilliant ideas, but funnily enough I had almost the opposite issue with it than I did with this revival of Cabaret. Cabaret

Apr 22 2024, 01:08:14 PM

MrsSallyAdams said: "It sounds like there's some audience confusion as to how "literally" to take the Emcee and Kit Kat Chorus. Hal Prince saw them as metaphors. Bob Fosse as sex workers and pimps. Sam Mendes as queer artists who were victimized. This production seems to be going back to the "metaphor for Berlin." If a chorus person dresses flamboyantly in act one and then conservatively in act two, it's not saying Fritzi the showgirl suddenly embraced fas

Apr 22 2024, 11:54:47 AM

BJR said: "sinister teashop said: "Owen22 said: "A London theatre website tries to make sense of it all:

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/what-is-going-on-with-the-cabaret-reviews_1594068/
"

"But I think there’s something more artistically significant going on here. Frecknall’s vision, influenced more by continental theatrical trends, interprets the material quite clearly through a class lens – the rise of fascism is tied to the acquiescence of the middle classes (the company all don greige suits as the show comes to a close, desaturating the earlier extravagance).”

I do think this is a really interesting point, but I don’t totally agree with it. I think the way this production deals with class is actually somewhat confused. Perhaps the Emcee, as the ringmaster and potentially part-owner of the club, would be solidly middle class. But the fact they lean so hard into Sally being a second-rate performer and how visibly queer much of the ensemble is makes the club feel quite underground and seedy. I can’t imagine that many of performers at this club are well-off, and they seem like a bunch of societal outcasts.

Thus, having them all end up in conformist, fascist-y suits doesn’t track for me. Yes, some closeted, ”respectable” queer people did conform and sublimate themselves to the Nazis. But visibly queer, gender non-conforming, non-white (etc. etc.) individuals did not have the luxury to blend in and became victims. Whether it intends to or not, this production seems to suggest that all these people could and DID assimilate. It also, as a result, places a fair amount of blame on them. To me, this muddles the message of the production.

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.
 Apr 8 2024, 02:49:59 AM

Fwiw the reports from Reddit and Twitter seem quite positive. I haven't really seen any negative feedback there.

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
 Feb 10 2024, 05:45:29 PM

To add to this, I remember that at around the same time there was also a clip circulating of Sutton singing "And I Am Telling You..." from Dreamgirls. People felt she used a strong blaccent during the performance, and that her over-the-top singing came across as intentionally mocking the song. The clip made the rounds on TikTok and compounded some of the issues already mentioned.

EVITA Revival on the way?
 Feb 15 2023, 06:27:49 PM

I wasn't trying to paint Argentina with one broad brush, so I'm sorry if it came across that way. Of course, there were and are indigenous people, immigrants from other Latin American countries, as well as many other racial and ethnic groups in Argentina. Eva, the individual person, was not part of one of those marginalized ethnic groups.

I agree that it's pretty pointless to say whether or not Eva would have considered herself a POC, since the term didn't exist bac

Feb 15 2023, 05:21:45 PM

Yep, I agree with basically everything you said, Ke3. I have no issue with the casting of any of the actresses I mentioned, and I think both shows should have diverse casts. It honestly just confused me that people seemed to think Pfeiffer's casting was more 'authentic', and it seems like there's a different kind of racism at play there. Like, she's 'exotic', so she's somehow automatically more authentic in the role. Or, all POC are more or less equivalent, so

Feb 15 2023, 04:13:26 PM

Sorry to drag up a kind of old thread, but I was thinking about the comment earlier in this thread that the cast would need to be mostly Argentinian. The revival of Spider Woman planned at the Kennedy Center also got me thinking about that issue.

Solea Pfeiffer is half caucasian and half African-American, not Latina at all as far as I can tell. Sam Pauly is Puerto Rican and Native American and Eden Espinosa is Mexican. None of those, especially Pfeiffer, are particularly close to E

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 28 2022, 09:21:11 PM

Right, but I think Ferryman’s point is someone should be designated as an alternate if the lead has a schedule where he is consistently out for certain performances each week. 

West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
 Dec 23 2022, 03:47:35 PM

I was just answering a question, which is whether the Emcee is "supposed to be emaciated looking". And my answer was that it doesn't really matter, but I explained why some people might expect him to look that way. I also explicitly said that I liked Callum's performance?
Look, it's completely fair to say my other comments indicate an obsession with this show, but that last comment was just providing a piece of basic information to someone who asked, and was in no w

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You