News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

EVITA Revival on the way?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 9:58am

American Repertory Theater, in association with Shakespeare Theatre Company, will produce a new revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s Evita May 14 through July 16, 2023 at the Loeb Drama Center in Harvard Square. Sammi Cannold will direct. Casting will be announced at a later date. Following its run at A.R.T., the production will play at STC in Washington, D.C. as part of its 2023/24 season.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#2EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:13am

STC is putting up Evita? o.O

That's an interesting choice for them. I wonder which venue it will end up in.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ElephantLoveMedley
#3EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:16am

Solea Pfeiffer was an absolute knockout in Sammi Cannold's production of Evita at City Center back in 2019. After seeing her tour de force performance, I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#4EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:16am

STC was staging it pre-COVID, so happy it is coming back. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:43am

Ehhh...

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:45am

I hope Cannold has abandoned the wholly pointless split casting of Eva that she deployed in the Encores staging. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Chase Miller
#7EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:03am

Can we get Lea as Eva?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:12am

I don’t know that we should consider this a Broadway-aimed revival. There was also the NYCC version directed by Cannold, which wasn’t all that well received. This could just be a pair of regional theatres joining forces to revive the show.

Especially considering how poorly the last revival did, Ricky Martin’s ticket sales aside.

etimer13
#9EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:42am

Eden Espinosa and Ben Crawford were incredible in a Nashville regional production of Evita in 2016. Would love to see either or both get the chance to do it again.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#10EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 12:05pm

I loved this at City Center. Solea Pfeiffer was a thrilling Eva. I also really enjoyed Cannold's direction, and I can't wait to see what she does with creating a more realized production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

MsPiety&Rectitude
#11EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 1:02pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I loved this at City Center. Solea Pfeiffer was a thrilling Eva. I also really enjoyed Cannold's direction, and I can't wait to see what she does with creating a more realized production."

Agreed, Solea was excellent. I’d love to see her do it again, this time as the full role. (I thought Maia Reficco was great too, just don’t see the need for or benefit of splitting the role)

chrishuyen
#12EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 1:12pm

I thought splitting the role worked particularly for things like Another Suitcase and also the way the ending was staged, but there were times where it felt like they needed to make more use of Maia Reficco and didn't know what else to do with her.  I think the transition would've also made more sense to happen during Good Night and Thank You, but I won't complain about Solea getting to sing a verse of Buenos Aires.  I hope that if she does do it again we'll get a cast album out of it.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#13EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 3:47pm

If any revival of EVITA gets to New York, it should absolutely be Jamie Lloyd's production from Regent's Park Open Air Theatre, that starred Samantha Pauly, Trent Saunders, & Ektor Rivera. It was MIND BLOWING. 

JSquared2
#14EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 3:52pm

etimer13 said: "Eden Espinosa and Ben Crawford were incredible in a Nashville regional production of Evita in 2016. Would love to see either or both get the chance to do it again."

The 2 of them put together would sell about a dozen tickets.

etimer13
#15EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 4:09pm

JSquared2 said: "etimer13 said: "Eden Espinosa and Ben Crawford were incredible in a Nashville regional production of Evita in 2016. Would love to see either or both get the chance to do it again."

The 2 of them put together would sell about a dozen tickets.

"

I'm not sure about a dozen, but they'd sell at least one.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 4:41pm

Evita, like most revivals, is not going to sell without a major star or two. There are very few who can sing it AND are of significant name value AND you probably need a mostly-Argentinian cast. It’s a tall order.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#17EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 4:55pm

No idea if either of these things mean anything, but Rachel Zegler posted the Playbill announcement on her Instagram stories, and, over the past couple of days, she had an exchange on Twitter where she replied with Evita lyrics.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rachelzegler/2987390474696732173/

https://twitter.com/rachelzegler/status/1599604779453272064

Updated On: 12/6/22 at 04:55 PM

Bravo2398
#18EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 5:02pm

Ooh!! I think this is some of the most exciting theatre news I've heard lately. I ADORED the production at the City Center. Exhilarating in all the right ways.

To see a production of Evita that had the vitality and conceptual flair of the original while also being so thoughtful, original, and forward-thinking in its approach. Not to mention the outstanding, largely Latin cast. This is an Evita for today.

I can't wait to see what this is like as a fully formed production. I'll be getting my tickets as soon as they're available and have no doubt it'll be worth the drive to Boston.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 8:26pm

Kad said: "I hope Cannold has abandoned the wholly pointless split casting of Eva that she deployed in the Encores staging."

Oh, it will stay. Everyone around knows of her massive ego.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#20EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:42pm

While everyone's running around calling it "wholly pointless," I'd just like to remind everyone that Hal Prince strongly considered casting three Evas for different parts of her life. Cannold's choice is not unprecedented, and frankly, it makes me wonder why she is taking such stick for it. (I'm not surprised that she is -- this is BWW, after all -- but I do wonder what in particular makes a modified version of the same idea Hal had so terrible. Couldn't be that the director's a young female upstart, could it?)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:47pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "While everyone's running around calling it "wholly pointless," I'd just like to remind everyone that Hal Prince strongly considered castingthreeEvas for different parts of her life. Cannold's choice is not unprecedented, and frankly, it makes me wonder why she is taking such stick for it. (I'm not surprised that she is -- this is BWW, after all -- but I do wonder what in particular makes a modified version of the same idea Hal had so terrible. Couldn't be that the director's a young female upstart, could it?)"

I didn’t know that fact about Prince’s concept…  which he did not actually go through with. Something that didn’t happen can hardly be a precedent. 
I actually saw the Encores production and no, it did not work. it was pointless as executed by Cannold. Implying this is bias against female directors based on not well known trivia about the show is an absurd reach. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/6/22 at 10:47 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#22EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:50pm

What a pity he didn't... how many performers had to grind out their voices before the production consented to an alternate when spreading the load would have mitigated that a great deal? Much as it did at Encores...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

NormaD11
#23EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:12pm

I thought it was phenomenal at Encores. Praying this transfers and we'll get the thrilling, visionary revival Broadway deserves.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#24EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:04am

I had very mixed thoughts about the city center production (including Pfeiffer’s casting), but I wish the best for this production. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#25EVITA Revival on the way?
Posted: 12/7/22 at 8:36am

Oof that City Center production was terrible. Amatuerish.

Videos