pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/6/22 at 9:32am

On Broadway — sources say the musical would like to come to the Hudson Theatre … If “Cabaret” truly wishes to get a red carpet “Willkommen” from NYC, the show must grab hold of what’s great about it — immersion, a sexy ensemble and high spirits — and then bring the audience crashing down along with its characters.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/05/should-eddie-redmaynes-london-cabaret-come-to-broadway/

Updated On: 8/22/22 at 09:32 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 9:51am

The last remount on Broadway with Alan Cumming was only a few years ago.  Not sure what the audience appetite is to see it again so soon?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 9:59am

I've said before, The Hudson or The Broadway are really the only theaters (not occupied by long running shows) we have in the city that could be transformed into the immersive experience they have in London now. And depending on casting, it really doesn't matter that the last production was less than 10 years ago. 

52889j
#4West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 10:05am

It seems to me like the West End production is currently suffering from the Josh Groban in Great Comet syndrome. I wonder if they move stateside they'll try to replicate the star casting or try to really market the non-traditional nature of the production as the star. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 10:07am

inception said: "The last remount on Broadway with Alan Cumming was only a few years ago. Not sure what the audience appetite is to see it again so soon?"

Surprisingly, if this opened today, there would be more time between this and the closing of the Cumming revival than there was between the last revivals of GYPSY and LA CAGE. But none of those revivals made money. The Cumming closed in March 2015 and ran just shy of a year –– not quite the length that Roundabout hoped for, I don't think. It became very reliant on whatever star was playing Sally.

It would do great business for 2-3 months, at minimum. I just don't know that mass audiences care enough about Eddie Redmayne and Jessie Buckley? ("Knowing" being different than "caring."West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 10:20am

I hope to god that this happens! I managed to listen to a bootleg of the show before it got taken down. (Don't criticize me for that. I wasn't able to travel to London to see the show with Eddie and Jessie). That being said, if this were to come to NYC, they need big names in the leading roles. They would also need to be committed for a full year to keep audiences coming. I could see Eddie coming over if he's available, but not Jessie as she's filming a new movie right now. I would LOVE to see Lilly James as Sally! I can only see this moving to the Hudson Theatre as that's more Intimate that the Broadway. The set designer can make something work with it. Also, I am aware that they are VERY strict about no photos inside in the London production. They may have to use Yondr pouches in NYC if they want to keep that rule in effect. Overall, I would absolutely do anything to see this revival in NYC! Hopefully, they will make it happen!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#7West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 11:14am

I traveled to London this past winter to specifically see this production, and had the most magical time. I saw the Mendes revival twice, the original run and 2014 revival, but this particular production really gutted me.

Loved it so much there is a part of me that doesn’t want a transfer. Also, I’d be (pleasantly) surprised to see Jessie Buckley reprise her moving performance. Her film career is on fire, but also I believe she had some vocal issues during her run in London.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#8West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 11:19am

inception said: "The last remount on Broadway with Alan Cumming was only a few years ago. Not sure what the audience appetite is to see it again so soon?"

Redmayne's a pretty big name. If they go with a big name Sally or they lean in on the "sexiness" of that production, it may not matter.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#9West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 11:35am

Part of the appeal of the last revival was that it was a revival of the previous revival, complete with its Tony-winning star. Even then, it only ran a year or so. Redmayne is a known actor, with a wealth of recognized performances, and the star of this Fantastic Beasts trilogy. While he is not A-List, neither is Alan Cumming, but if Eddie can get his performance out in public, and with the promise of a new version of Cabaret, it could potentially excite audiences. (Buckley, if she did it, wouldn't be a selling point here, but could bring the awards-season cache and a possible Tony win to exploit.)

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#10West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 11:38am

This would be amazing in St Anne’s Warehouse 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 1:27pm

I could see this working fine at The Hudson. Would they use the standard marquee or have you enter the stage door in the back? I don't see this being any sort of Union nightmare either. Plenty of shows have done preshows.

So does the set have hydraulics too? Like it goes up and down and rotates? That's cool.

beesnot83
#12West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 1:46pm

I traveled to London this past winter to specifically see this production, and had the most magical time. I saw the Mendes revival twice, the original run and 2014 revival, but this particular production really gutted me.

Dollypop
#13West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:29pm

Yet another revival of CABERET?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

JSquared2
#14West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:39pm

Dollypop said: "Yet another revival of CABERET?"

Yet another useless comment?  (Also you may be confusing CABARET with the "CABERNET" you're guzzling...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:44pm

I would love to see this production - and I wouldn't care who was starring.  Getting Redmayne HERE to do it might be a reach, but I'd be thrilled.     

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CopleyScott17
#16West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:53pm

Would love to see Redmayne come here, but there's another Eddie who would make a spectacular emcee -- Eddie Izzard. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#17West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:56pm

My introduction to Cabaret was the wonderful 1968 London production starring Judi Dench and Lila Kedrova.  This Cabaret would definitely bring me back to Broadway from the Left Coast.

Non sibi sed patriae

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#18West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:05pm

Holding out hope that this revival comes to Broadway with Redmayne!

Oh look, a bibu!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:25pm

The last Roundabout had 2 major A -list stars as Sally. Would be tough to beat.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#20West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:39pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Holding out hope that this revival comes to Broadway with Redmayne!"

Redmayne could probably do a revival of Cheaper By The Dozen and fill every seat. I think the transfer would do very well.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#21West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:40pm

I suspect if it comes to the US, it would be with Redmayne AND Jessie Buckley. Even if that's a year or more away due to scheduling. Pushing it out a bit wouldn't be a bad thing given how recent the last revival was.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:44pm

Unless Jessie Buckley can improve her attendance she would not survive performing on Broadway. It’s not clear why she missed so many performances but while it might be ‘good enough’ for the West End it’s just not good enough for Broadway. This is the highest musical performance standards in the world. You either got it or ain’t. Maybe it was a temporary thing that now is resolved but if not she should quit while she can. New York won’t be so forgiving. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#23West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 3:50pm

Jessie Buckley has appeared in the West End in numerous musicals and plays; she also trained at RADA. It's hardly as if she is some hack who has no business doing Sally Bowles on Broadway.  She also wouldn't be the first person who has gotten ill whilst playing the role and had to miss performances.

JasonC3
#24West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:06pm

The lack of transparency about her absences coupled with her seeming ability to honor award season commitments did not serve her or the production very well.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#25West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:08pm

The decision to make transparent a star's absences (planned or otherwise) is completely the jurisdiction of the producer, not the performer.