News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for musikman

musikman Profile Photo
Member Name: musikman
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Timothy Nolen, first American Phantom, has died  Feb 14 2024, 09:12:18 AM

Very sad news.  I saw him twice as Sweeney at city opera 20 years ago.  To this day, he’s been my absolute favorite in the role that I’ve seen live.  Tremendous performance. 

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Feb 9 2024, 11:25:26 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Well in person, I thought he sounded fantastic. *shrug*"

Do you know if any of his other songs had the key raised ? I imagine so since epiphany was higher. I can’t imagine him singing barber and his wife in the original key.  

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 6 2024, 05:06:09 PM

https://twitter.com/roundaboutnyc/status/1754989115328676328?s=46&t=3CLiuxAk9SX4uZyLhEWMLw

eek. I hope Tyne is ok!

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Jan 11 2024, 03:22:23 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Can confirm The Minstrel is cut and combined with The Jester."

I assume this means The Minstrel, the Jester, and I has been cut. 

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews  Jan 5 2024, 10:35:42 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I don't have my Atlantic playbill in front of me, but –– is this Broadway orchestration list different than downtown? If so...yay!

Vito Chiavuzzo - Reed 1
Devin DiMauro - Reed 2
Mike Boschen - Trombone
Christine Chen - Percussion
Barbara Merjan - Drums
Steven Malone - Keyboard
Michael Stapleton -

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Dec 11 2023, 12:08:59 PM

Harriet Harris as Queen Aggravain. Terrific addition to the cast.  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/3/23  Dec 5 2023, 02:21:59 PM

songanddanceman2 said: "Harmony and A Beautiful Noise. Strange grosses this week considering last weeks grosses."

The majority of the market for those shows right now (nyc locals/bridge & tunnel) were out of town last week or busy for the holiday and they are not tourist friendly titles or shows. The big, fully tourist-dependent shows all did terrifically last week.  This past week, things were back to “normal.”  

HARMONY previews  Nov 11 2023, 03:34:30 PM

Finally caught this.  While I admire the efforts to tell this story, the final product is quite hammy and cheesy.  Sure there are some genuinely affecting moments in Act 2 (thanks to an always wonderful Chip Zien), but it’s hard to fathom that this has been worked on for 20+ years.  The music is serviceable, but the real problems lie in the book and lyrics: way too much anachronistic dialogue, 20-20 hindsight, unrealistic situations and hypotheticals (specifically the sce

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Oct 30 2023, 02:49:05 PM

Sutton Ross said: "I think it's funny that people can't see Aaron in the role. Maybe you should look up the definition of what acting is and realize that they are trained for alllll different kinds of things. Sutton and Aaron are both Broadway royalty with great attendance records, and this production is lucky to have them. I don't love the lack of diversity with the two main roles, but not all shows are obligated to do that to please people who value such things.

Cravalho, Fisher, Lewis, and more will lead Yazbeck-helmed CHILDREN OF EDEN concert  Oct 20 2023, 12:53:41 PM

Just a heads up here that tickets are on sale now. Didn’t see any announcements about it until I randomly saw an ad pop up on Instagram. 

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Oct 17 2023, 02:23:51 PM

macnyc said: "Tickets are on sale now for the general public. I'm in the waiting room."

That was relatively painless!

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Oct 10 2023, 01:06:54 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Michael Urie is inspired casting for that. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for Donna Murphy as the Queen. I need that more than anything else."

1000%

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Sep 25 2023, 10:39:01 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "IT’S THE WEEK OF THE SHOW, Y’ALL!"

I can’t believe I have to wait a month to see it crying

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Previews  Sep 22 2023, 09:09:40 AM

ljay889 said: "Does anyone know how many musicians this had Off-Broadway? I see 14 listed on IBDB for Broadway, so that certainly sounds expanded. The tiny Menier orchestras drive me nuts, so this sounds like a plus.
Also, is the full Overture really back or not? I assume it’s the revised edition’s Overture, and not the actual full version from the original and Encores!
"

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there were 9

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES to play limited Broadway engagement beginning in January  Sep 13 2023, 12:06:48 PM

ljay889 said: "Broadway Flash said: "Why wouldn't they start this fall? Wouldn't they want to be open during the holidays?"

You’re answering your own question. This would never sell well during the holidays. The closer they open to Tony season is better. I think a spring opening would’ve made more sense.
"

Kelli has confirmed dates in The Hours at The Met in May, so I assume they’re just squeezing this in bef

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Aug 28 2023, 07:46:23 PM

TotallyEffed said: "Imagine the writers of First Date waking up to the news that their show killed a budding Sondheim musical.

"

That made me LOL. 

This article was such a cathartic and reassuring read.  I really have no other way to describe it.  I had to assume all along with the creative team behind it, they would not have presented something with either A) Sondheim’s approval before his death B) an extreme amount

Chita : fell Saturday night?  Aug 25 2023, 02:15:46 PM

For some people, still continuing to perform very late in life not only keeps their bodies in shape, but also their minds.  I bet she’ll continue to thrill us with continued performances until she’s legitimately physically unable to. 

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Jul 19 2023, 01:02:07 PM

bfreak said: "I’m really struggling here. I have a computer with fast internet and have been stuck on tons of Loading pages for a half hour. I was only number 321 in the queue. I entered a queue on my phone to see if that would make a difference, but I’m really feeling disappointed. I don’t understand how I haven’t gotten through even once in an entire half hour."

Try opening up a different window in the same web browser.  That worked for

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Jul 18 2023, 02:47:02 PM

Thanks to all for the new window advice.  Was able to get in.  There’s still a ton of availability, thankfully, but it’s definitely going fast!  Going in November and can’t wait.  

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)  Jul 18 2023, 02:27:48 PM

I’ve been stuck on the blue loading page for about 5-10 minutes 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You