News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PirateSmile

PirateSmile Profile Photo
Member Name: PirateSmile
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

JEKYLL & HYDE Moves from Rodgers to Marquis; Dates Set
 Feb 15 2013, 05:31:15 PM
Have you seen this version? I thought there was never a dull moment...
Perhaps never having seen any of the other renditions, I base my opinion on the novella alone, and this, with its added love stories and human interests, makes the CSI approach of the book come alive.

JEKYLL & HYDE Moves from Rodgers to Marquis; Dates Set
 Feb 15 2013, 05:24:29 PM
Hmmm... I've seen the show on tour three times, and in none of them was Constantine's voice ever screechy. His lyrical tenor Dr. Jekyll was wonderful, and so light and brilliant when necessary, very ethereal. His Hyde was growly-low and on the edge of scary. In the shows I saw (DPAC), no one would have thought those voices were the same. For one show I was sitting in a group of season-ticket-holders, a family who were there just because those were "their" seats, not because they knew anythin
re: Constantine Maroulis - Grease
 Jul 10 2008, 09:03:00 AM
I saw where he just finished a stint as Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar in regional theatre in Jersey, and all the other cast members were raving about how helpful, inspiring, and just plain great it was to have him there.

And Constantine was just the "special guest star" at Radio Broadway's 1958 show, and got good reviews there too.

Whoever said he's a theatre guy come home has it right, IMO.

Wish I could have seen Judas, I'm thinking he probably did well with it.
re: New JOSEPH tour with Constantine Maroulis
 Dec 16 2007, 04:52:16 PM
Perhaps this is what he and Deborah Gibson were discussing back when they were reported being seen together. I will have to side with Veronica Lake here, he has wonderful stage presence and a terrific voice, which he knows how to use so well.
I will definitely go see this show if he's in it and it comes my way.

re: Midnight Radio? Steven Schwartz? Constantine?
 Oct 23 2007, 09:23:54 AM
I've been away a while, but noticed this and couldn't leave it languishing...

Please do a little googling before you get all in an uproar.

Steven Schwartz =is= Steven Trask. Birth name. How he's registered in the songwriter's association, all that stuff.

No typos, just reality.
Go read Wiki and all will be clear.

Now, on with the show!!!
p.s. the Constantine cd is very nice. 12 varied songs, different styles, the guy's got pipes, and knows how to us

re: Rude Stage Door Experiences
 Feb 20 2007, 10:36:53 AM
Can't speak to Wedding Singer, but at Jacques Brel, Constantine was a total gentleman, and very patient w/ everyone who wanted signatures, pictures, etc. After the initial din died down, he casually conversed with others who were standing in the lobby, not just the first "rush" of fans.

It's a hard show, emotionally, and I'm pleasantly surprised that he would have any energy left to greet fans. He could have just breezed out to his car, but he didn't. Robert was also friendly with hi

re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
 Feb 15 2007, 08:06:11 AM
Well, I'm applauding her for having the guts to start out on BW, not regional theatre, and am willing to see what she can do before making a pronouncement...

re: Seen Many Shows...What should I see next???!!!
 Feb 15 2007, 07:53:47 AM
Go see Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.

Tickets are very reasonable, the Zipper is a fun place, the show is closing on the 25th, and is playing to full audiences, so it's a fun atmosphere.

And the songs are wonderful. Cuccioli, Marshall, Maroulis, and Paterson are totally entertaining for the full time of the show.

On my last trip I saw Les Miz, which I was expecting to be great, and it was, and I saw Jacques Brel with no expectations, and was utt

re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
 Feb 12 2007, 02:16:58 PM
Some of my faves:

"Somewhere" from West Side Story
"If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot
"I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar
"As Long As He Needs Me" from Oliver
"If We Only Have Love" from Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris

re: Idol Reject Federov to Join FANTASTICKS Cast May 1
 Feb 8 2007, 09:49:03 PM
Hey, I'm glad for anyone to get a shot... Brave of him to dive into it in NYC rather than some small regional stage... I'm sure people will have plenty to say pro and con once he actually gets up there and does something, which is the point until which I will hold my judgment! LOL
re: Jacques Brel Closing 2/25
 Feb 6 2007, 09:15:40 AM
Wonderful show, great timeless songs, cool staging and choreography, fab music, funky venue, it was a great experience.
And it wasn't Constantine who closed it, he's been filling seats like crazy. Word is that it was down to a trickle before he started his run. The week I attended they had three sellouts and the rest were mostly full (as per the merch crew keeping tabs). I don't remember seeing any empty seats.

He's got mad skillz, I'm looking forward to his next project. And Cu

re: Will Jacques Brel Be Alive in May?
 Feb 2 2007, 09:00:10 AM
I agree that Jayne is sublime. And Constantine Maroulis plays off Robert like he's been playing this part forever. Those two have great chemistry, knowing just when to move, especially in Timid Frieda, in which Jayne really shines as well. Her ingenue character is superb, and her voice just fabulous. I saw the show just recently, and I'll have to say that I prefer this current foursome to the one on the cast recording. Their voices blend perfectly, yet each is distinct enough that they shin
re: Shows you just don't 'get'
 Jan 30 2007, 10:31:43 AM
Cats would appeal to T. S. Eliot fans, just to see what was made of the poems.
Also, costuming fans might be curious, but I guess that's not "getting" the show...

For me, it would be Urinetown.

re: Constantine in 'Jacques Brel'
 Jan 26 2007, 08:54:40 AM
I saw this show over the weekend, and have to say that the four actors now in the production work so well together I can't imagine any others in the show. The small stage forces them to be a part, even when they are standing in the shadows preparing for the next number.

Jayne was the perfect innocent-come-to-town in "Timid Frieda", Robert was fabulous in "Jackie", Gay's voice sounds just like a Paris cabaret singer, IMO, and Constantine? well, if all you've ever thought of Constant

re: Boycott YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT
 Jan 14 2007, 11:47:29 AM
The proof of whether it was a bad idea will come when ticket sales for the actual show are reported. Free market economy is a wonderful thing. Bad shows will close. People do vote with their pocketbooks.

The reality is that shows need money to run, and confining the audience to cultured, appreciative souls (like us?) will not pay the RENT for long. All kindsa peeps need to come see.

I'm all for exposing new people to the glories of the theatre. This is a way to do it.
W

re: Grease sells $1.3 Million Worth of Tickets
 Jan 10 2007, 12:24:16 AM
I think the popularity probably has to do with familiarity. People wanting a good first-time Broadway experience will often look for something familiar, something they've seen at the movies or on television, one of the things that makes Disney shows successful... people have an idea of what they are going to get for their money, which is quite a bit more than what they fork over for a movie...

It's like why people flood the chain restaurants and fast-foods, they know what to expect, ev

re: Constantine Maroulis to Join 'Jacques Brel' in January
 Jan 8 2007, 06:20:29 PM
That's why it's called acting.

LOL! This is true. He has performed many varied roles in his years of work, I'm looking forward to seeing him do well in Brel, it's a great challenge, and I think he will do it justice and more.

With his training and background, one could argue that it was more of a fluke that he ended up on AI than it ever was that he is now working on Broadway and off-Broadway stages...

re: The Good/The Bad...Worst stagedoor experiences
 Jan 3 2007, 10:26:19 AM
As all our posts are showing, actors are just people, and have good days and bad ones. Most of the time we get one shot at seeing them outside their work, and if we don't hit a 'good' day, then we have a bad taste left.

I have seen at least one of the folks peeps have mentioned as 'rude', and he could not have been more kind, patient, forebearing, whatever. Loves children and animals, that kind of stuff. And this was over the course of like 10 hours straight? I choose to think this

re: How was the final Wedding Singer
 Jan 1 2007, 11:53:46 PM
Thanks for the words about the last show. I'm finally getting to NYC later this month, too bad they couldn't hold out just a few more weeks!!! Oh well.....

re: Nominees for the 1st Annual Yankeefan Awards for Excellence in Theatre
 Dec 25 2006, 11:36:31 PM
I'm just wondering whether you folks who are voting for best and worst actors/replacements/breakthroughs, etc. actually saw the actors in these roles. The reason I'm asking is that I heard lots of first-hand reports that do not square with many of your choices. Or is it that people with strong opinions about policy voted just to 'send a message' to future producers/directors??... I noticed that several of the nominees who were considered crossovers from other media were summarily dissed (like
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You