pixeltracker

Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#1Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:15pm

Playbill.com:

"E!online reports that Barrino, who was also a front-runner for the role of Effie in the hit movie musical “Dreamgirls,” will join the Oprah Winfrey-produced musical in the role of Celie, the part created by LaChanze to Tony-winning effect. Barrino is expected to make her Broadway bow in the spring."

How does everyone feel about this?

Read The Article

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#2re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:16pm

OMG. This is laughable.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:19pm

I guess Reidel's story about trouble selling tkts was right.
I would send her out as the tour lead and let her get some "legs" before letting New York Critics and Bloggers attack her.
I feel bad for the actress who just got the part.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#3re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:19pm

Oh my God.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:20pm

Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I have no idea how she won that competition, and I can't stand listening to her sing.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

C is for Company
#5re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

Awesome news, I wanted her to win in her season.

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#6re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

She couldn't even play herself in a LIFETIME movie.

Come on.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:21pm

Interesting. Looks like I actually DO know what I'm talking about. re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

I really don't like Fantasia and I can't see her as Celie. This smells like stunt casting to me.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#9re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple

i think i could see her as more of a Shug than a Celie.....

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:22pm

This is a very smart move on the producers' behalf. THE COLOR PURPLE has been running at a loss for the past month and a half (though January-February does tend to be the most difficult time of year to sell), but the fact that they went from practically sold-out houses to playing at 50% capacity was a huge drop, and desperate measures do need to be taken if they want to remain open.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#11re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:22pm

It has not been selling well. Despite what people think about her performance she will sell A LOT more tickets than Jeannette Bayardelle.

This announcement does not surprise me in the least.

"Have they come yet?"

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#12re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:23pm

Has the role of Celie been announced for the tour? Is it possible that the actress currently playing the role (Jeanette Bayardelle (sp?)) on Broadway could be doing the tour? If not, what a shame since she just started. Then again, their numbers haven't been great, so I guess they're doing what they feel is necessary.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 2/14/07 at 11:23 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#13re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:24pm

I don't know TCP but I do not see her as Celie at all.

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#14re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:26pm

Since the show has already broken even and returned its investment, it’s a very smart move by the producers to keep the show running at a profit. They really have nothing to lose in this situation. Fantasia will sell tickets and then once she finishes her run, I wouldn’t expect the show to be around much longer.

"Have they come yet?"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#15re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:27pm

How can she learn the script when she can't read?

Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
#16re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:30pm

luvtheEmcee, I completely agree with you! ugh! I think her voice is terrible! Anyway, I'm a huge Idol fan and I think it's kinda cool how so many contestants are becoming Broadway stars.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#17re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:31pm

Ugh! That's all I can say.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#18re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:33pm

I'd rather see Whoopi try to sing the score.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#19re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:34pm

Mrs. Link, the irony of your statement is that Simon would say the word "Broadway" in terms of someone's voice like it was a bad thing. Who's having the last laugh now. I'm just wondering if she'll really sell that many tickets. How have her CD sales been?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#20re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:35pm

Um. My drama teacher reallllly wants to see TCP when we go down in April. I don't. At all. And this just solidifies that even more.

Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:36pm

Yeah, but think -- get her on Oprah a couple times singing from the show, tickets will sell.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

RentBoy86
#22re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:39pm

Granted she'll sell tickets, but I'm not sure how many. Her CD sales are lackluster and she's one of the least successful out of all the American Idol winners. I doubt she'll do a whole lot, and even if she does, I think the people going to see her will run out quickly. I guess it just goes to show that there wasn't much demand for this show beyond the Oprah audience, and the bus tours.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#23re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:40pm

Hopefully by Spring they mean May...

Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: Fantasia Is The New Celie In Purple
Posted: 2/14/07 at 11:40pm

Well it's still a fantastic show with one of the most talented casts on Broadway.

-Kad