pixeltracker

Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broadway Love Song Ever?'

Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broadway Love Song Ever?'

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broadway Love Song Ever?'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 9:26pm

To Josh Strickland-
Go listen to "The Most Happy Fella" for Christssakes. "My Heart is so Full of You" and the "I Don' Know Nothin' About You" theme have to be the most romantic things ever written for musical theatre. I was surprised to see how many times that came up. I was quite happy.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#2re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 9:38pm

Ditto to all those who said "Maria" from West Side Story, though topping even that for me is "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" from Pal Joey (thank you, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Jill O'Hara...and Jesse does also have a point about "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp").

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#3re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 10:15pm

I have to say, Marc Summers is the most random inclusion in this entire list.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#4re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 10:24pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I love Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

It's funny how two of my other favorite people on this list named two of my favorite love songs: "My Funny Valentine" and "On My Own."

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#5re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:06pm

I think it's funny (and cute) that Fed picked "The Next Ten Minutes."

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

#6re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:10pm

aw that was sweet!

i would say:
DO YOU LOVE ME?
SMALL WORLD
WHOEVER YOU ARE, I LOVE YOU

& i would agree with all the people who said
'TIL THERE WAS YOU

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#7re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:48pm

Glad that a DRS song was included ('Nothing is Too Wonderful to Be True') and 'The Next Ten Minutes' from L5Y.

and 'Someone To Watch Over Me' from Crazy For You!!!!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#8re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:25am

I hate David Ian in that Grease show, but I have to give him a credit to choose Maria from WSS. That's an ultimate romantic song EVER.

Fenchurch
#9re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:37am

Four Words:

My Cup Runneth Over

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

RockabyeHamlet
#10re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 3:08am

Mine would be:

Unworthy Of Your Love- Assassins
With So Little To Be Sure Of- Anyone Can Whistle
Something Good- The Sound of Music
Love Changes Everything- Aspects of Love

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee
Updated On: 2/9/07 at 03:08 AM

trickedout22
#11re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:01am

i know its not broadway and its just a movie...but "your song" from moulin rouge...beautiful

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#12re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:11am

""Somewhere" from WEST SIDE STORY has got to be the winner-even the 2/3 express trains agree."

OMG, YES! Thank you Kate Reinders! Ever since the 2/3 became my main train I've realized that and thought it meant I was just way too obsessed with WSS. It's the 2 train. Whenever it starts again after making a stop, it makes this "starting" noise that's like 3 different sounds that sound kind of like notes...recognizable notes...it sounds EXACTLY like the first 3 notes of somewhere: "There's...a...place" And it's in my head the whole way on the 2 train! I've been telling people that, but OMG Yes! I'm soo glad I'm not the only one who noticed that!

""Mea Culpa", cut from SWEENEY TODD. What's more romantic than an old man fantasizing about his adoptive daughter?"

Hahaha, I love Steve Rosen!

It's probably snobby of me to nitpick that everyone who said "Tonight" from WSS actually meant "Balcony Scene" from WSS. Oops. Sorry.

And as for me, I'm sure it's shocking, but I have to agree with Maria too. Part of my 101 reasons WSS is the best score ever, just listen to the music and notes of Maria. I have never heard such music that expressed romance, young first love. It's amazing.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#13re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:59am

I'd go with BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED, fro "Pal Joey," and the first verse of GIFTS OF LOVE from "The Bakers's Wife."

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Fenchurch
#14re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:37am

The train sound! YES!

Actually I've always though it sounded like the last three notes of the main title to Pyscho by Bernard Herrman.

Same tones,but the rhythmically its more like the Herrmann than the Benstein

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 3:30pm

I'm going to say "The Next Ten Minutes" from L5Y, and "Take Me As I Am" from Jekyll & Hyde. Also going to agree with whoever said "Say IT Somehow" from LITP.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#16re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 4:20pm

It's too hard to pick just one, but if I had too, I think I have to say 'If I Loved You' from Carousel like so many other people on the list. It's timeless and just as beautiful everytime I hear it. Runners up:

'I Have a Love' - WSS
'Say it Somehow' - LITP
'My Funny Valentine' - Babes in Arms
'What More Can I Say' - Falsettos

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#17re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 5:18pm

I L-O-V-E Jesse Tyler Ferguson.
The most romantic song ever written is "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp", but we are talking BROADWAY so...
Hilarious

SporkGoddess
#18re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:27pm

I'm so happy someone listed "All the Wasted Time" from Parade!

I definitely think that "If I Loved You" wins though. Everyone's always listing it--and for good reason!

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#19re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:47pm

I completely agree with anyone who said Maria from West Side Story. I melt everytime I hear that song. And of course anything written by Rogers and Hammerstein is romantic.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#20re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:53pm

I am so happy that someone mentioned "All the Wasted Time." Beautiful song, definitely up there as one of the most romantic, I think.

Beanmatt Profile Photo
Beanmatt
#21re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:54pm

While not technically Broadway, I'm surprised no one said "They Were You" from The Fantasticks.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#22re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:33pm

I agree with If I Loved You, I adore that song!

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#23re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/10/07 at 12:22am

I'm going to have to go with "Yours, Yours, Yours" from 1776.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#24re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad
Posted: 2/10/07 at 12:38am

Shbrt - at least until you hear songs from the upcoming Princess Bride musical, right? re: Happy Valentine's Day: The Third Annual 'What's the Most Romantic Broad

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Videos