News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for singingbackup

singingbackup Profile Photo
Member Name: singingbackup
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA  Dec 5 2016, 11:55:10 AM

Peppered Shepherd, how I love you so. 

Saw this infuriating production last night and you have expressed everything I am feeling brilliantly.  Merrily is one of my favorite Sondheim shows and this production nearly killed that affection.  Thankfully, the vocals and the orchestra were up to the task, since Arden was clearly not.   The whole backstage 'concept' is such a community theater go-to I want to scream.  Never mind that the director did the

Grease Live! Official Thread  Jan 22 2016, 06:35:11 PM

NEW YORK, NY (January 22, 2016) – Republic Records, Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) and Paramount Television have announced the release of the GREASE: LIVE Official Soundtrack Album. The album will be available digitally on Sunday, Jan. 31 at 7:00 PM ET/PT, to coincide with the start of the three-hour live event on FOX. A special pre-order launches today and will include the option to download Jessie J’s “Grease (Is the Word)” written by Barry Gibb at time of purchase.

Grease Live! Official Thread  Jan 21 2016, 05:50:44 PM

The promo with Jessie J is great.  She rocks "Grease (is the word)"

Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?  Oct 18 2015, 12:33:34 AM

I too saw it in Philadelphia with Anita Gillette and Dick Latessa, loved it and played the album all the time.  Years later got to do it in dinner theater twice.  Special place in my heart for this show.  "LEON!"

GIRLFRIEND L.A.  Jul 14 2015, 12:03:54 AM

I am a 'Valley Girl" and didn't know about this.  Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to see it!

Hamilton Previews  Jul 14 2015, 12:02:04 AM

My birthday treat was seeing Hamilton tonight.  And, having read this entire thread and having heard barely anything about the show and the music (wanted to be totally surprised!), here goes:

1) Yes the lottery was nuts.  Much of the cast, crew and producers were out checking on the festivities with huge grins and an "oh sh*t this is amazing" look on their faces.  Lin came out and thanked the crowd: "You are the reason we are here tonight."  Love that man.

<

Hamilton ticket prices-seriously?  Jun 9 2015, 01:49:00 AM

This thread makes my head and my heart hurt.  Good Night All.

Hamilton ticket prices-seriously?  Jun 9 2015, 01:30:52 AM

I don't do a head count but I reckon they can only sit in the back of the theater.  

Where is Gypsy Rosa Parks when you need her?!

Hamilton ticket prices-seriously?  Jun 9 2015, 01:21:20 AM

Phillypinto--breaking down your handle...

Clearly you are not from the City of Brotha-ly love.  Though the pinto part seems to suggest the bean that is clearly bigger than your brain.  The Philly must indicate a fondness for Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese.  It's white, tasteless and spreads so easy, like bigotry and hate.  

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?  Jun 8 2015, 05:25:43 PM

I seem to be in the minority on this one.  I am a huge fan of Deaf West and what they bring to the arts and particularly musical theater.  I am also a fan of Spring Awakening, having seen it many times in NYC.  My problems with this production were many: The direction was so hit and miss, at times brilliant imagery and moving interpretation; other times confusing motives and amateurish staging.  I also would have liked more connection between the deaf actors and their

Bro'ing up Broadway  Apr 29 2015, 09:24:08 PM

"Damn, Yank Me!"

"Porgy and Beer"

"Take A Wiz"

"Man of La Munchies"

"Smoke House of the Green Leaves"

"Good Vibrators"

"Curtains (Match The Drapes)"

"My Pal, Joey"

"Off The Rag Time"

"Bloody Bloody Reggie Jackson"

"Jeep of Faith"

"Caught A Big Fish"

"You're A Good Man, Charlie Hustle"

"Steal Beer"

"Five Guys, Not Mo's"

Into the Woods Reunion!  Nov 10 2014, 12:11:03 AM
It truly was a remarkable afternoon. Everyone was in top form, sounding better than they did nearly 30 years ago. Such a privilege and treat to witness this once in a life time reunion. After "Your Fault" I literally couldn't move...frozen in a euphoric state, spellbound from the flawless performance. From then on I cried like a baby until well after the curtain went down.

This will stay with me for a long time.

Anyone see Danny Boyle's Frankenstein at the movies? Worth it?  Jun 10 2012, 03:25:42 AM
Saw it with Miller as the Creature and his opening 10 minutes were pretty spectacular as well. Like man coming out of the primordial ooze, first as a fishlike creature and then stammering and stuttering to his feet. The production design and theatrics were breathtaking. Not a fan of most of the supporting players, and the guy from Harry Potter was dreadful. How the hell did he get cast?

DO. NOT. MISS IT.

Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?  Jun 6 2012, 04:36:51 AM
Saw the show tonight (Tues.) and it was immensely better than back in May, and that was terrific. Victoria was rapturous and and Jan was on fire. The entire cast was fantastic, garnering long and loving applause, especially Mirror, Mirror and I'm Still Here. Sadly, Danny Burstein was out tonight, so I won't get to see his brilliance again in this show. Mary Beth Peil said after the show that they thought he had allergies, but apparently it's a bad throat thing, so good thoughts for DB to reco
Brooke Shields & Richard Chamberlain to Star in Premiere of THE EXORCIST  May 18 2012, 12:21:20 PM
Welcome lemiz1862 to the madness! Thanks for the info. I am very excited to see this and thrilled that it's here in LA. The Geffen does great work, so hopes are high.
Shortest  May 17 2012, 08:47:49 PM
And going by the "previews don't coun"t rule (Which I subscribe to) he omitted "Doctor Jazz" which played the Winter Garden:

Preview: Feb 4, 1975 Total Previews: 42
Opening: Mar 19, 1975
Closing: Mar 22, 1975 Total Performances: 5

They knew they would get creamed if they opened, and only did so to garner Lola Falana a Tony nomination. They actually received a total of 3(Falana, Choreography and Costumes.) She didn't win, but took home a 1975 Theater W

Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?  May 7 2012, 01:49:00 PM
I saw it Friday night and loved it. Such a pleasure to see Danny Burstein again on the Ahmanson stage (he won me over in Drowsy Chaperone.) Glorious orchestra, great cast, beautiful costumes. Unlike others, the first act flew by for me. I felt Victoria Clark's Sally was very satifsfying. Sweet, touching and understated. And her voice so beautiful.

If you see it's not selling well, take a moment, post something on your social media (especially LA locals) and spread the news. Wor

Anyone seeing FOLLIES in LA tonight?  May 3 2012, 08:05:09 PM
Excited to see it tomorrow night. (Love me some HOTTIX). For the question regarding nearby hotel, there are a few good ones in Hollywood/Highland area that are a short subway ride away (Subways are NOT just for sleeping here in LA). It's a fun area with lots of Hollywood history and such.

Enjoy!

Ron Raines is going to L.A. with Follies  Dec 30 2011, 06:44:14 AM
It will be wonderful to welcome back Danny B to the Ahmanson after his outstanding Adolpho in 'The Drowsy Chaperone!"
Kennedy Center Honors: Patti and Glenn  Dec 30 2011, 06:42:24 AM
Ya, I am kinda over 'Ashfords's Angels' and their tired choreography. Seems like the same bunch (RA fave Spencer Liff,et al) strutting the same stuff in the same suits year after snoozy year. Way out of place this time.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You