News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for raddersons

raddersons Profile Photo
Member Name: raddersons
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadways carbon footprint
 Jul 25 2024, 11:21:14 AM

I don’t think any industry should be immune to criticism for their contribution to the climate crisis, including theater. Every industry can point to someone else and say “But they’re worse about this!”. Pointing fingers doesn’t stop us from sinking.

I do agree that the costuming angle isn’t quite it though. Lighting systems I’d imagine are mostly LED now which is an enormous decrease in electricity. Maybe there can be grants that can help subs

"Weird Al" Yankovic "having conversations" about writing a Broadway musical
 Jul 23 2024, 04:13:36 PM

I grew up listening to Weird Al, and this could take so many different directions. I wonder what this will be. He could write parody lyrics to existing musical theater songs. He could write totally original music. He could spoof the styles of different composers a la Schmigadoon. It could even just be a jukebox musical featuring his various parodies thru the ages. It could be a “UHF” or “Weird” biopic stage show. 

Some will work better than others, but

JOB Previews
 Jul 22 2024, 10:16:41 AM

TotallyEffed said: "

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
JOB Previews
 Jul 19 2024, 03:19:40 PM

People have been split about the ending since the Soho Playhouse days. Personally I love it, and I find it open to a few interpretations outside of the literal one. My second viewing last night confirmed that to me.

Pre-Existing Condition by Marin Ireland
 Jul 18 2024, 09:52:39 AM

Just got an ad that Dierdre O’Connell is in this and looked at the dates and sadly she’s done this weekend and I can’t make it. I didn’t realize this has already been running for weeks.

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 17 2024, 08:40:17 PM

A few weeks ago understudy Paige Smallwood went on for Sally. I think she was the first black Sally Bowles on Broadway.

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 Jul 12 2024, 06:06:59 PM

I seem to remember a Jared Loftin song in Act 1 that isn’t on this recording. I think it was him and all the girls singing about how he wasn’t gay anymore.  Didn’t have a song list with my program. Am I crazy?

Edit: I missed it on the first pass, Born Again is the song.

Revised THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE in Japan
 Dec 31 1899, 07:36:12 PM

Ke3 said: "I wish people would accept that Millie cannot be revised and we should just give it up. I've said before that it's really shocking to me that in 2002 somebody decided to turn a wildly racist British musical from the 50s into a brand new musical comedy. It was on borrowed time the day it premiered. It came out the same season as the revised Flower Drum Song while banging the same Orientalist drum that the original Flower Drum was being revised to correct. And yet, i

When is Michelle Dockery coming to Broadway?
 Dec 31 1899, 07:30:26 PM
Who?
Ragtime at City Center
 Jul 10 2024, 01:07:11 PM

Encores started as a way to highlight scores and orchestrations. Typically they beef up the orchestra size, not reduce it. I imagine at least the original — probably larger. 

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jul 6 2024, 11:50:11 PM

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this show and haven’t stopped thinking about it for a full 24 hours. Haunting, fantastical, catchy, goosebump inducing. An adaptation that finally stresses the themes of American optimism and how the desire for more can often lead you down a path that’s not best for you… or anyone. Beefing up Myrtle’s role to act as a strong foil for Daisy makes a ton of sense, given their wealth difference ties in to what t

“N/A” at Lincoln Center Theater - Mitzi E. Newhouse
 Jun 28 2024, 11:57:12 AM

I agree with the reviewers that the play felt one-sided. But I really think the problem isn’t the play itself, it’s that Villafañe wasn’t fighting back.

Sandra Oh, Paige Gilbert, Ann Harada & more to star in NA premiere of Lucy Kirkwood's THE WELKIN
 Jun 26 2024, 09:28:48 AM

Any word of this extending??

Jun 26 2024, 12:26:49 AM

Went to see this tonight and what seems to be a cringe concept is actually a very well written piece of theater. Enjoyed it quite a bit. In a world where you-know-who could be re-elected, a play that focuses on how politicians see their role in the world feels very fresh. Holland Taylor is doing phenomenal work. Ana Villafaña doesn’t quite bring the fire that we need from AOC, and I hope she finds this in the coming weeks. Wow does she look JUST like her

Soft Power musical
 Jun 25 2024, 10:57:45 PM

I really really loved this at The Public, despite its flaws. If they’re really cutting it down to 85 minutes, they must be eliminating almost the entire framing device. The entire thing of

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

is surely to

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 14 2024, 01:22:43 PM

I noticed a few places (Best Buy, Barnes & Noble) were taking preorders for Vinyl editions of this recording, so I bit the bullet to order one despite there being no news about it or it not being on the official merch store. Unsurprisingly it was supposed to arrive today but has been “delayed”. I was expecting this and will probably end up getting a refund if it doesn’t change in the next week or so. 

Just wanted to share so if if people also see this, th

Jun 13 2024, 10:28:26 AM

You’re right, thanks for clarifying. 

The point still stands that the reason it’s happening now is because someone wrote it, and someone else liked it enough to produce it. Sometimes it’s as simple as that. 

Jun 13 2024, 09:16:59 AM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Literally why this why now?"

Because the playwright wrote it and when LCT programming read the script they liked it.

Dave Malloy's THREE HOUSES at Signature
 Jun 12 2024, 11:14:37 PM

Margo Siebert confirmed on the Signature Theater instagram that a Kickstarter to help fund a cast album will be coming out soon. I imagine it will reach its goal quickly like the Octet one, so a cast album is more or less confirmed.

She also talked about how The Wolf had a song in early previews but it was cut. Such a shame, I actually think The Wolf is the least developed character and I would have loved for him to get a song. Well, outside of the dance. 

SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 7 2024, 08:34:15 AM

Love listening to this. This is my best score winner hands down. Despite being firmly “contemporary” musical theater, it is probably the most “traditional” of all the best score nominees. I think in a season that has both a play with music and a dance musical stealing people’s hearts, Tony voters will choose this best score as a nod to the more traditional “book” musical. 

Congrats Shaina, it really is excellent.&n

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You