News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for wildparty20

wildparty20 Profile Photo
Member Name: wildparty20
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Photo Coverage EXCLUSIVE: Signature Theatre's 'GIANT' Curtain Call
 May 4 2009, 07:27:17 PM
Nope, wasn't trying to be condescending. Just stating a matter of taste. Probably could have said that better. Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way! :P
 May 4 2009, 01:09:06 PM
Oh, and hubee...I agree, the 90 minutes of Civil War did seem a lot longer than Giant's 4 hours!
 May 4 2009, 01:00:04 PM
I agree with you hubee...I loved it (but that's coming from a HUGE LaChiusa fan).

My one criticism of the show is that if you don't know the story, it may be easy to get lost. I read the book this summer and was able to follow the story line easily. I don't think that others were able to.

The criticism about plot focus and length I disagree with. The 4 hours flew by for me as well, and I found many moments in the score that were amazing.

If you're able to focus on diff

re: The Highest Yellow
 Dec 4 2004, 01:57:12 AM
Aside from nude Marc Kudisch... THE HIGHEST YELLOW is an extremely challenging piece. The music is VERY "rangy" and melodically, harmonically and rhythmically complex (as is all LaChiusa). I sat mesmorized by every note through the entire score. Jonathan Tunick's orchestrations are beautiful (10 piece). I love LaChiusa however, and I traveled from Michigan to DC just to see the show, so I may be biased in my review.

The story itself is interesting and strange, and I have to disagree wit

re: I feel awkward posting this here, but...
 Dec 4 2004, 12:31:21 AM
I also attended Interlochen Arts Academy for theatre performance and now have a B.F.A. in music theatre. I just want to reiterate what the other student from IAA said about the audition... really focus on your monologues. The head of the department, that makes the admittance decisions is an acting teacher first and foremost. He knows very little about music and when students sing, looks for the moment to moment choices and if the student relies on the lyrics and story of the song, instead of on
re: The Wild Party - LaChiusa
 Nov 20 2004, 12:26:41 PM
I really wish they had made a recording of LITTLE FISH. I bought the libretto and it looks very interesting.

I got back last week from seeing LaChiusa's new work THE HIGHEST YELLOW in DC. I live in Michigan, so it was quite a haul for a show, but I am a devoted fan of Michael John's work. I fell in love with his work after seeing his Broadway production of THE WILD PARTy twice. THE HIGHEST YELLOW solidifies even further Michael John's leading voice in the world of musical theatre. The s

re: The Wild Party - LaChiusa
 Nov 18 2004, 10:20:33 PM
I love LaChiusa's work. I saw TWP in New York. I'm hoping someone around here wises up and there's a local production soon!
re: link to PIAZZA song clips.
 Nov 18 2004, 10:18:35 PM
Thanks for the link! I've been craving to hear this music again since I saw it in chicago in February! This is a beautiful score. I hope they record the Lincoln Center production.
re: What was the first musical you saw?
 Oct 12 2004, 12:15:16 PM
I first saw a community theatre production of 42nd St. when I was about 8. My aunt was in it. I loved it so much she started taking me to touring shows in Detroit. The first professional production I saw was the CRAZY FOR YOU tour with Karen Ziemba. I was blown away at the ripe old age of 13.
re: Which Broadway theater would you like to live in?
 Oct 11 2004, 09:06:21 PM
I choose the Lyceum... beautiful wood work
re: A sight you don't see every day...
 Oct 11 2004, 04:23:28 PM
Has it really been over a year since it's had a show? I've never been inside the Cort. Is it only suitable for plays or small musicals? Is that the reason not many shows are in this theatre?
Scary experience during matinee this week...
 Oct 11 2004, 04:16:53 PM
I'm doing Damn Yankees right now and last week we had an elderly woman in the audience pass out. Someone at her table (it's dinner theatre) came half way up on-stage during "A Little Brains..." and told the actor playing Applegate that they needed help. He left the stage and went and got the house manager. We had to stop the show and they wheeled her out. The whole cast thought she was dead, she looked gray and was slumped over. They took her to the hospital, and I guess she had just passed out
re: Showgirls
 Oct 11 2004, 04:10:58 PM
Both Showgirls and the Saved By The Bell episode go on my list of "So bad it's good." I would be first in line to see Showgirls: The Musical. As long as the "fan hands" choreography is in the show.
re: 'Pointless' Songs in Musicals
 Oct 11 2004, 03:44:43 PM
I think you're right BwayMatt... Near To You isn't "pointless." It's just not as integrated as some of the other songs, especially since (following your point) Meg isn't really that much of a part of act II. Maybe I just am sick of hearing it every night (i'm in a longer run of DY right now) and I let my boredom get in the way :)
re: Most disappointed?
 Oct 11 2004, 03:38:29 PM
I felt that way about The Producers. There was so much hype, and I was so excited, and after all the Tonys... then I went and was VERY disappointed. Not the hit of the century I was expecting.
re: When a Classic Musical is Revived, Do You Think It Should Be Done EXACT
 Oct 11 2004, 03:22:10 PM
I think that there can be things done to a production to make it new and exciting for audiences without really "changing" the show. For example... I loved what they did with the recent revival of KISS ME KATE. The orchestrations were updated as well as the vocal arrangements. Just doing that I think made the show much more accessable to a modern audience. They didn't touch the script (to my knowledge). The choreography and set design was done in a modern way and integrated into the show beautifu
re: What is the show you are working on/in now (or next)?
 Oct 11 2004, 03:08:43 PM
THE FIX? really Matt. I have the cast recording. I have never been all that drawn to it, musically. I love IN TROUSERS though. It's such an interesting piece. I MD'ed FALSETTOS last year. Amazing stuff. I cried all over they keyboard every night. I hope you get to do one of them. Good for you for getting lesser known work out there to your audience!
re: What is the show you are working on/in now (or next)?
 Oct 11 2004, 02:34:20 PM
I'm 7 weeks into an 10 week run of Damn Yankees right now. It's a fun show, but I think I'm ready for it to be over. Then I'm on to R&H's Cinderella
Just finished listening to THE APPLE TREE
 Oct 10 2004, 08:32:08 PM
and... how talented is Barbara Harris. She is amazing on this recording. Each of her characters are SO different... and the vocal manipulation in Passionella... WOW! Especially "Oh To Be A Moviestar." Wonderful soprano and character belt. She is an extremely talented woman.
re: Cast recordings you don't get
 Oct 10 2004, 08:19:55 PM
Hey Mary Ethel...

I agree with the Coco recording. I bought it knowing full well Katharine said for her doing a musical was like playing tennis without strings in the racket. But I bought it anyway because I love Katharine. That aside... Previn's score isn't all that engaging in my opinion.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You