News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for rougeduck

rougeduck Profile Photo
Member Name: rougeduck
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday seaosn  May 12 2021, 07:18:29 PM

Just here to upvote Dominique Jackson as Hannigan.

...SPELLING BEE movie musical in the works with Disney  Apr 23 2021, 12:48:19 PM

I'm into it. It might give Pen15 as a movie musical vibes.

Broadway song about a special place  Apr 13 2021, 12:08:32 AM
Sal Tlay Ka Siti from Book of Mormon
Castle on a Cloud from Les Miserables
Bali Hai from South Pacific

re: The Greatest Musical Theatre Voices Ever?  Mar 10 2021, 10:59:45 PM

Brittain Ashford showed off one of the most uniquely colored voices I've ever heard on a broadway stage in Great Comet. She's up there for me and I hope she gets another plum role soon.

Damon Daunno has become my favorite crooning leading man with his turns in Oklahoma! and Hadestown. When he goes high, I go o0ohhhhh.

Someone please do a vehicle for the two of them. 

Who was the best Velma Kelly?  Feb 23 2021, 01:36:13 AM

Reva Rice was my first and fav!

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Feb 4 2021, 11:05:30 AM

Ali Stroker as Nessarose?

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director  Feb 3 2021, 08:12:58 AM
Janelle Monae for Elphaba. There’s no one better.
MATILDA movie musical confirmed.  Jan 9 2021, 12:01:03 AM

Missy Pyle would be disgustingly perfect for this!! 

Remember when she was the best thing about the bare revival?

Best Productions of Seussical  Jan 2 2021, 04:29:39 PM

There have been millions! What are some noteworthy productions of Seussical, preferably with lovely paper/video trails.

Rent - Hope Mill Theatre UK  Dec 19 2020, 02:38:46 PM

A vpn doesnt work.

Anya Taylor-Joy as Louise in Gypsy  Nov 14 2020, 09:00:24 PM

Toni/Anya Gypsy would be an embarrassment of nuanced riches. 

Roles Donna Murphy can play on Tuesday nights as the alternate  Sep 18 2020, 05:55:03 PM

^ Donna Murphy would be a marvelous Alternate Vera Charles to Toni Collette.

Imagine Donna SLAYING Arkadina on the Tuesdays and matinees Tracee Ellis Ross is out!

The Who’s Tommy revival  Aug 14 2020, 12:50:32 PM

Rebecca Naomi Jones as Mrs. Walker pretty please!

Seeking BWAY avatars from Livejournal/forums  Jul 6 2020, 07:55:46 PM

Hay all, I'm developing an online theatre experience and am looking for your old very niche, sparkly, garish(?) avatars from Livejournal or forums like Witches of Oz for inspiration that you might've had in HS. Please post em below or DM me.

Examples: a 40x40 pic of Kristy Kates as Elphaba with a sparkly gif Defying Gravity letters, a square of Patti in Sweeney Todd wearing a top hat with “Hey Michael do you think I look sexy in my black hat," a headshot of Matt

Michael Arden Directed Drive-Thru Show... Now?  Jun 21 2020, 12:50:59 AM

https://ew.com/tv/rupauls-drag-race-queens-rev-up-for-drive-n-drag-summer-drive-in-tour/

Meh, I'd rather see Yvie Oddly from my car anyway.

Young Jean Lee v/s Jeremy Harris  Jun 10 2020, 10:20:12 PM

Ok but who wrote the play Young Jean Lee posted about?

RE: Production Values During C-19  Apr 27 2020, 12:30:40 PM

Drag Queens are doing the most innovative work with their streams. Drag artists like JukuForNow, Florida Man, Laurel Charleston, and West Dakota are really pushing the boundaries for this stifled performance form with filters and fun, simple camera tricks. I recommend performers and theatremakers looking to the drag shows of Instagram live and twitch to learn some tricks. 

THE INHERITANCE - Reviews  Nov 20 2019, 11:38:17 AM

Wick3 said: "rougeduck said: "https://medium.com/@TyleKurner/goodbye-to-all-that-matthew-lopezs-the-inheritance-e0ef942cc9c1

Here’s a delicious review more in line with most of the gays I’ve spoken to.
"

Wow that reviewsums up what a lot of my gay friends have told me as well.I agree with this quote: "It is being marketed and touted as something gay people should, or need to, see. It is delivered ready to be canonized. That many of its leading cast members are straight turns affectation into artificiality into a kind of betrayal."

I believe that representation matters especially now that it's 2019.
"

Yassss queen. I basically double posted this. Producers and directors must take actual care of the communities they present onstage.

As Julio Torres and Bowen Yang (actual pioneering gay writers) so eloquently wrote on last week's SNL, "must get rid of toxic in community."

THE INHERITANCE - Reviews  Nov 20 2019, 11:28:06 AM

Brock75 said: "As good as the actors are, the biggest slap in the face is that out of the company, the majority of the actorsare straight. Especially the leads. Only Hickey is a gay man out of the 5 main characters: Soller, Burnap, Levine and Hilton are all straight. If Lopez is "preaching to/teaching" the audience about the history of gay men what kind of reference do these actors have? Ryan Murphy's revival of "Boys in the Band" was publicized heavily that each of the actors were gay. There is a knowledge there. An understanding. An actual history. I can't believe this hasn't been more of a talking point. I understand that all actors can play any number of characters, blah, blah, blah and shouldn't be typecast, BUT! Don't get me wrong, the acting was terrific, I am taking away nothing from their work. It is just an ethical point to me. Lopez constantly reminds us about our history and understanding, but how can these actors even imagine what it is like to walk in our shoes? Shouldn't the casting process be about authenticity with a play like this? The "gay play of the decade" and the majority of the actors are straight? I might in the minority here, but it was insulting to me."

Kyle Turner is the only critic to mention this in his Medium review and it holds great importance. How odd it is that for the second year in a row, there is an important 2 part gay broadway epic with a messiah-like queer character in its center who is written to break the fourth wall to address "his community..." played by a known straight actor. This isn't allyship, it is just sad. There still hasn't been a major American film to star a gay actor playing a gay lead. Representation with equity is so important and this show preaches a gay identity beyond men having sex with men- a noble sentiment that is not in any way adhered to by the theatre-making. It's just a nearly all-male cast which is hardly groundbreaking no matter how the marketing treats it. 

THE INHERITANCE - Reviews  Nov 19 2019, 11:01:24 AM
https://medium.com/@TyleKurner/goodbye-to-all-that-matthew-lopezs-the-inheritance-e0ef942cc9c1

Here’s a delicious review more in line with most of the gays I’ve spoken to.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You