News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SomethingPeculiar

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
Member Name: SomethingPeculiar
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man  Jun 24 2019, 09:39:45 AM

Hugh Jackman has always done 8 shows a week. I don't see why Music Man would be any different. The role actually isn't all that strenuous, compared to Boy From Oz or Evan Hansen or Evita or Bobby in Company... Bette was 70 and hadn't done a musical in 50 years.

re: Much Anticipated Musicals That Crashed & Burned - Big Time  Jun 22 2019, 09:54:41 PM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Groundhog Day, Catch Me If You Can, Bullets Over Broadway. Big screen-to-stage adaptations of beloved IP with prestigious creative teams that looked like big hits on paper but didn't last a year in NY.

I really don't think Be More Chill belongs on this list. Sure, it's a big flop, but I wouldn't say it was "much anticipated": It was a first-time Broadway creative team, it got aw

Should an Author be judged by their Best Plays or their entire body of work?  Jun 20 2019, 11:56:06 PM

Well, if you really wanted to get scientific, you could score each one out of 10 and calculate the average, with each play weighted equally? Art is subjective, and there's no real answer, but when someone's written as many godawful plays as Mamet, I think that needs to be taken into consideration.

In film, there's a theory that when a prolific director is "done," their last few works are never as good as their earlier work. It doesn't always carry ove

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September?  Jun 20 2019, 04:30:48 PM

Golden? Or the timing works perfectly for it to go into the Longacre between Prom and (rumored) Six.

Hadestown's commercial future  Jun 19 2019, 09:59:13 PM

yankeefan7 said: "It is sad to me when a show wins Tony for "Best Musical" and it barely runs for a year. I hope this show has decent 3-4 year run, guess we will see what happens."

What are you talking about?? Band's Visit and Fun Home are the shortest-running musicals in recent history, but they still both ran a year and a half. 1994's Passion is the shortest-running Best Musical winner in history

The Prom Will Close 8/11  Jun 19 2019, 08:05:00 PM

Here I Am said: "This is what happens when the underdog doesn’t win the Tony. The big musical that doesn’t need ticket sales always wins."

The Tonys don't award underdogs, they award the best musical of the year. In this year's case, every show except Ain't Too Proud is an underdog. All of them could have used the award, even Hadestown. Even if The Prom had won,

Songs about Body Positivity  Jun 19 2019, 05:42:41 PM

Big Black Man from Full Monty

Colleen Ballinger to Join Cast of Waitress on August 20  Jun 19 2019, 04:39:03 PM

There's NO historical data that shows he'll mean a thing at the box office. Kinky Boots and Chicago never grossed more than 70% when he stepped in, with the exception of Xmas weeks. Maybe he and Ballinger mean a little more combined (to a young/cheap audience), but I cannot see this moving the needle.

Jun 19 2019, 03:14:07 PM

Looks like he was in and out of CHICAGO on Bway as recently as 2014 (and keeps going back to do stints in the tour). His voice is wonderful.

FREESTYLE LOVE SUPREME at the Booth Theatre  Jun 19 2019, 10:05:33 AM

This is a good case for bringing back the Special Theatrical Event category. Same with the David Byrne show and the Illusionists and Oh Hello and Springsteen. (They'd have to create rules about the length of the engagement so these one-week "In Residence" people wouldn't be eligible)

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/19  Jun 18 2019, 08:45:14 PM

Motown recouped its $18mil investment.

It was also rumored at the time that the Nederlanders pushed for the closing of MOTOWN because Harvey Weinstein had been promised a house for FINDING NEVERLAND, and Nederlander's other suitable venues were booked for that season (Neil Simon with Last Ship, Palace with An American in Paris, Marquis with On Your Feet).

Sunset Blvd Movie Adaptation Casting Ideas  Jun 18 2019, 03:37:58 PM

Here's a 4-thread starter pack:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1114149

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1115164

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1115111

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1115141

Shuffle Along - What happened?  Jun 18 2019, 01:56:36 PM

Impossible2 said: "The show was selling out and then closed abruptly, wth happened?
I know McDonald got pregnant and there was drama, did they really think a sellout show would fail without her?
"

The problem is, it never sold out even when Audra was in it. It averaged 80% of its gross potential. The advance sales probably plummeted after her departure, and the show probably wouldn't have survived through 5-7 months of matern

Girl From The North Country - Broadway  Jun 18 2019, 01:33:32 PM

I don't understand the complaints about the Belasco being too big for this show. It's Broadway's 12th-smallest theatre, and it's very tough to make a budget work for a musical when you're dealing with under 1,000 seats. The 2nd balcony adds some grandness, and the pricing can't be as high for the balc, but the Belasco is still a perfectly fine theatre for this musical.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/19  Jun 17 2019, 06:03:51 PM

Pose2 said: "Man, that would be really crazy if Pretty Woman closes soon, right after Brennin Hunt, who moved his entire family from Nashville to do this role. If that happens, the "having the worst luck ever" award would definitely go to him this year. Damn."

I mean, if the grosses keep dropping, they might as well close it on 7/21 (Barks & Karl's final day). Even with an expensive new advertising plan, I can't see this jumping back up

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/19  Jun 17 2019, 05:54:53 PM

That's interesting stuff, Daddy.

Biggest Tony boosts (or coincidences) -- The Ferryman up by $152k, two shows up 100k (Beetlejuice and King Kong), 4 up by $50k (Hadestown, Ain't Too Proud, Tootsie, Oklahoma), and 2 up $25k (KMK and BMC).

Workshop casts  Jun 17 2019, 04:07:58 PM

As you say, there's no set rule. It completely depends on the actor and creative team. Sometimes, after a workshop, the creative team might realize someone's not right for a role, so they decide to go in a different direction. Or, they might offer the actor a Broadway contract but the actor passes. Or, they might have a "first-choice" actor in mind who can't commit to the workshop but wants to do it on Bway.

Let's use Anastasia as a random example, because it had a well-documented developmental process. None of the principal actors in the first developmental session went to Broadway. (Of course, Tveit and Lansbury were probably offered and passed.) From the second developmental session, two actors went to Broadway. From the out-of-town run, all but one principal transferred to Bway.

Hillary and Clinton closing Sunday  Jun 17 2019, 01:05:16 PM

I admire Rudin's commitment to Metcalf. Few other producers would have the actor's next show lined up when they're so consistently proven to mean nothing at the box office –– especially without a major costar. (Lithgow means a lot more than Eddie Izzard, though Lith's as overexposed as Metcalf.)

Solution to Cell Phones on Bway  Jun 17 2019, 11:45:52 AM

The only way this would happen for a scripted play/musical is if someone like Hugh Jackman, Bette Midler, or Lin-Manuel Miranda had it in their contract. A lesser artist or producer would have no sway in making this happen (unless they're personally covering all the expenses). Especially because the theatre owners have invested in the GalaPro app that offers translations and subtitles via cell phone, and that's available to any patron. And producers/theatre owners (the ones who w

Times Square Theatre Photos of Renovation  Jun 16 2019, 11:53:04 PM

Thanks, I hate it!!!!!!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You