News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LarryD2

Member Name: LarryD2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died  Jul 9 2023, 08:50:44 AM

I'm seeing reports on social media that the actor Jeffrey Carlson has died, including the linked tweet from Time Out New York theater critic Adam Feldman. He was 48.

Carlson made his Broadway debut in the original cast of Edward Albee's The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia? He also appeared in Taboo and the Roundabout revival of Tartuffe. A Juilliard graduate, he appeared frequently in regional theater, usually in classical roles: Hamlet and Mercutio at Shakespeare Theatre Company (Washington, DC); Richard II at Yale Rep; Prince Hal and Edward II at Chicago Shakespeare; Algernon in The Importance of Being Earnest at Paper Mill Playhouse; and others.

Outside of theater, Carlson is probably best known for his stint on All My Children (2006-2007), where he is generally considered to have played the first openly trans character in daytime television. Although he wasn't trans himself, and likely would not be cast in such a role today, it was definitely a cultural milestone in its moment.

It seems that he was living in Chicago in recent years and primarily teaching. The most recent stage acting credit I can find is from 2016; it looks like he was scheduled to do a play in Philadelphia in 2020 that was canceled by the pandemic. A sad loss.

https://twitter.com/FeldmanAdam/status/1677862081545003009?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

(7/1/23) JUST IN - Aaron Tveit on as Christian TONIGHT in Moulin Rouge  Jul 2 2023, 10:16:24 AM

Aaron is a professional who's done the show hundred of times. In the opera world, it's common for a singer who's never even performed in a particular production to jump in with little/no rehearsal beyond a basic pre-curtain walk-through. 

Great memories at TKTS  Jul 1 2023, 09:40:43 AM

Dollypop said: "Her name was Marie. The restaurant still is open"

Actually, it closed last year. It's been replaced by an Irish pub.

Philadelphia: Canceled final week of Moulin Rouge tour  Jul 1 2023, 09:31:24 AM

A friend of mine who's a longtime Philly-based stagehand told me that among other reasons already mentioned in this thread, use of the Forrest is limited because it is difficult to load and unload into the space. That largely disqualifies shows that have massive, intricate sets. When you look at the tours that have played there in recent years (1776, Soldier's Play, Color Purple revival, the Daniel Fish Oklahoma), they're all shows that basically use a unit set.

& Juliet Movie?  Jun 19 2023, 01:27:23 PM

Sutton Ross said: "LarryD2 said: "Lea Michele is almost 40. In what universe would she be in the conversation to play Juliet?"

She is 36, no need to be rude. And no, this will never, ever be a movie but looking at the suggestions for casting is hilarious. Half of these people cannot sing. Lolz.

"

My math might be off, but 36 (37 this summer) is a lot closer to 40 than the age of the character. Nothing rude in pointing that out

& Juliet Movie?  Jun 19 2023, 01:07:57 PM

Lea Michele is almost 40. In what universe would she be in the conversation to play Juliet?

Hamlet- Shakespeare in the Park  Jun 16 2023, 05:08:18 PM

Gypsy_Mamma said: "Pacing is all over the place and it needs significant work. 1/4th of the audience left at intermisson."

What is the running time at the moment?

Glenda Jackson has died, age 87  Jun 16 2023, 05:07:43 PM

Kad said: "Even though she was 87, she seemed like she’d be around and working for years to come. A massive loss, but how wonderful she had a triumphant Broadway return just a few years ago."

Yes, I always thought it was a bit ironic that she retired from politics, citing that she was too old for the work -- then immediately threw herself into playing some of the most challenging stage roles in the repertoire throughout her eighties. And she worked right up unt

Seating for Days of Wine & Roses ?  Jun 14 2023, 01:58:43 PM

MSG827 said: "Yes E is excellent but K is 5 rows further back?"

It's a 200-seat theater. You're never more than 30 feet from the stage.

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Jun 14 2023, 01:21:44 PM

Ruthie Ann is out all of this week and next. Jeanna and Mia are sharing the role, with Jeanna doing the majority of performances.

Seating for Days of Wine & Roses ?  Jun 14 2023, 01:20:03 PM

I would take Row K. The stage at the Atlantic is eye-level, but it's long and wide, so you sometimes don't get to appreciate the full stage picture if you're sitting very close. I was Row E for DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES and found the distance was ideal.

Treat Williams Has Passed Away  Jun 13 2023, 09:03:22 AM

Williams was excellent in the '80s television remake of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. He was also a highlight of the rather drab Broadway revival of FOLLIES, including that he danced quite well. Sorry to learn of his untimely demise.

GREY HOUSE Reviews  May 30 2023, 07:56:25 AM

I'm expecting rave reviews for Metcalf and more mixed appraisals of the play itself. Chris Jones will write a love letter because the show originated in Chicago and that's his M.O.

Actors having their contracts terminated on their first Broadway show  May 30 2023, 07:53:12 AM

Matt Cavanaugh in the 2009 revival of WEST SIDE STORY: https://nypost.com/2009/11/06/west-side-whack/

And more recently, Beanie Feldstein in FUNNY GIRL: “The producers decided to take the show in a different direction and end Beanie’s contract on September 25th, 6 months earlier than anticipated,” they said in the statement.  Source: https://www.vulture.com/2022/07/lea-michele-beanie-feldstein-funny-girl-rumors.html

Being Mary Tyler Moore  May 28 2023, 08:34:31 AM

I watched this last night. For those interested in Moore's theater career, there is some discussion of the failed BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S musical and her successful stint later in WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY. There is no mention of the ROSE'S DILEMMA debacle. The legendary TV director Jim Burrows (son of Abe Burrows) is interviewed with regard to BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, and Michael Lindsay-Hogg and Manny Azenberg are interviewed about WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY.

Overall, I foun

TKTS Line  Apr 23 2023, 09:18:43 AM

We do live in a Broadway bubble. Not everyone who visits NYC once or twice a year (if that) keeps up with Broadway openings and closings. The last time I waited on the TKTS line, around 2007, the couple in front of me said they were hoping to see James Earl Jones in ON GOLDEN POND. I had to burst their bubble and inform them that it had closed two years earlier.

Is Heidi Blickenstaff Still in Jagged Little Pill on Tour?  Apr 15 2023, 08:08:21 AM

Heidi mentioned in an Instagram video a few weeks ago that she was dealing with a foot injury -- it's possible that she's on a modified schedule. She also tested positive for COVID pretty early in the tour, which caused her to miss the entire Portland engagement. I saw the tour twice during its 2-week stop in Philadelphia: once with Heidi and once with her understudy at the time, Lani Corson. Both were great and brought different qualities to the role, so I was glad to have been able

McDonald-led GLASS MENAGERIE revival in the works  Apr 12 2023, 12:18:04 PM

McDonald as Amanda...sure. Do it at the Goodman, ART, Kennedy Center, Geffen, some first-tier regional theater. But Broadway? Why?

Kayla Pecchioni as Sugar Kane in Some Like It Hot  Apr 10 2023, 11:07:44 AM

I thought Hicks was the major disappointment of this production -- no sparkle or star quality in a role that really needs it -- so maybe it's worth revisiting with her cover.

Long term contracts  Apr 8 2023, 09:00:04 AM

Run-of-show contracts used to be a lot more common. I remember in the early '90s, when I was new to working in theater, there was a dustup because Jodi Benson and Harry Groener had both signed run-of-show contracts with CRAZY FOR YOU -- never expecting it would run for years -- and were desperate to get out of them. (They both did, eventually.) Nowadays it's more common for performers to sign shorter-term contracts (e.g., 6-12 months) with the option to extend. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You