News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Phantom4ever

Member Name: Phantom4ever
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Report: The Phantom of the Opera May Be Readying an Off-Broadway Return
 Jul 22 2024, 12:20:21 AM

I get what you're saying Rentaholic. The first thing that comes to mind is the Vegas version and the horrible Conner tour that show Phantom actually killing Buquet rather than just dropping a body double. 

Jul 21 2024, 02:03:23 AM

It's a lot longer than a half second. And the whole point is we don't know who or what is in the darkness. Besides that, the entire scene of ballerinas in tutus rehearsing in the dark shadows outside of the dressing room is inherently creepy as well. 

Jul 21 2024, 12:53:15 AM

I would argue that Bjornson did design the original with a gothic nightmare aesthetic.

One of her and Prince's biggest inspiration was a video of people with severe physical abnormalities discussing how they are still sexual beings with desires. 

Harold Prince directed each scene so there was a jump scare moment in every scene. Now that doesn't mean that the audience is going to let out a blood-curdling scream, but a haunted-house level shock? For sure. 

NYT: New York Moves to Clean Up Times Square After a Spate of Crimes
 Jul 10 2024, 11:10:48 AM

Yeah I'm a hardened New Yorker who felt uncomfortable on Christophoer Street and doesn't want my visiting six year old nice to see homeless penis. 

And I love Christopher Street as well which is why it sucked to feel that way about it but I was just sharing my feelings on a message board, no more no less so y'all need to calm down. 

And if you think I'm doing any pearl clutching at all then you are seriously mis-read my tone. I don't even have any p

Jul 10 2024, 08:45:33 AM

Theaterfan, please settle down. It's not that serious. 

For the 4th time. I. Was. With. Family.  If I were by myself, none of this would even matter in the slightest. Bring on the piss and the needles and the fighting. The more urine in front of my hotel, the better.

My family stayed in a hotel a block away, and they met me and departed from me each day in front of my hotel. Which meant......that they or me or all of us were often standing in front of the hotel wit

Jul 9 2024, 10:13:56 PM

Jtoth8922 said: "Sorry I don’t comment a lot, but this post confuses me. I’ve lived in NYC for 25 years, there has always been vagrants and homeless people and none, not one has ever bothered me beside asking for change. I frequent bars in Christopher Street (Ty’s and Rockbar) weekly and NEVER in 20 years have felt unsafe in Christopher Street, EVER, even at 4 am. Cities have crime and people who are sketchy but honestly I have more of a problem with tourists than t

Jul 9 2024, 10:02:30 PM

Phantom4Ever complained about "ne'er-do wells" but admittedthey didn't know if these peoplewere "homeless, drug addicts, migrants, a combo, or just young people with nothing to do." This strongly suggests that the posterdidn't witness any actual bad behavior at all, but wasjust uncomfortable with those individualsbeing in a certain place at a certain time."

First of all, I should get points for bringing back n'er-do-wells. S

Jul 5 2024, 04:06:07 PM

Yeah honey I know all that, that's why I spent my 20s and 30s practically living at those bars. BUT when I walk down Christopher toward the river, farther from 7th Av near the PATH station, it does not feel safe at all. It never really did, even in the late 2000's, but it was manageable because there were always so many people around, even at 3am. It's not like that lately. 

And I'm not sure where you got the idea that wealthy neighborhoods don't have street cr

Jul 5 2024, 01:45:10 PM

Some of you may recall my anecdote of my sister and her family visiting in the most recent thread about NYC crime before this one. If you recall, she reserved a hotel room right at 8th Avenue and 36th Street, which is Junkie Central/Migrant Nightmare/Crime/Hotspot etc. I stayed there too, at 8th Avenue and 38th Street. Her family is staunchy Pro Trump and Fox News and all that, so I expected them to be lamenting the miserable filth that NYC has turned into. 

And it's true

Matt Bomer, Nathan Lane to Star in Golden Girls-Like Sitcom
 Jun 19 2024, 08:26:03 AM

Ouch!  As a fellow 1977 baby, I was shocked to read the press release for this that put Bomer, 46/47, in the same age group as Nathan Lane, 68 with the line "men of a certain age." Ouch again! I was expecting to read something like "two older gentlemen move in with a younger male roommate". Nope. Bomer is one of the older men. I get that Rue McClanahan was 51, only four years older than Bomer is now, at the start of Golden Girls, but the other girls were 12 years olde

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
 Jun 10 2024, 12:20:55 AM

I caught the 2pm show today, June 9th. A bit of anniversary for me as it was my 35th time seeing the show at the Ambassador. 

It was my first time seeing Robyn Hurder as Velma and wow she was good. I've never seen "I can't Do It Alone" performed with so much energy and....humor. Bianca Marroquin shined as usual. 

Oh! Sue Anschutz conducted! That was so exciting. I've seen her on the piano many times so it was so cool to see a different conductor.&

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
 Jun 5 2024, 04:29:33 PM

Yes I am as shocked as you guys are that they want to come to New York despite all of this negative news coverage they consume. 

Perhaps I mis-spoke. They're not going to lose their minds at the sight of a homeless person but they will if they have to see a homeless guy pleasuring himself or a homeless guy spitting in their 9 year old daughter's face.  Stuff like that is what they don't want to see and WHAT I WAS TRYING TO ASK before people took this thread in ano

Jun 5 2024, 03:45:18 PM

stagepotato said: "8th Ave between Moynihan and the 40s has gotten considerably worse. It was bad before, but now it’s littered with homeless and drug addicts. Don’t come at me and say this isn’t true because I travel this street multiple times a month and see it every time. I agree the city needs to get rid of Adamsbut there’s other focus areas that need to be worked on as well."

I saw this post and noticed that ten of you "liked" i

Phantom Revival - What Happened?
 Jun 4 2024, 12:12:43 PM

That's what I read too, albeit on other message boards and Phantom fan pages about how CamMack wanted to do exactly what he did to the West End Les Miz (replace the creative team and downsize but ultimately stay open) to Phantom. He succeeded in doing that in London but New York ended up getting a full closure with no downsizing to "save" the show as in London. 

And by the way, who screamed that life ended the day Phantom closed. We can't be upset--really upset--

Jun 3 2024, 03:41:51 PM

I know y'all are going to shade the hell out of me for this like only the BWW board can shade somebody, but between the seasons being compared in that article, a little bitty show called Phantom closed, and with it went many theatergoers who made frequent trips to New York just to see the show again, along with a few other shows along the way. 

There is NO WAY to quantify this other than anecdotally. However, the huge surge that accompanied Phantom's reopening in Octo

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 May 30 2024, 10:42:07 AM

I can't believe I just bought a ticket for something at the Majestic Theater other than Phantom.  This really should help with the grieving process though. 

What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
 May 29 2024, 09:04:10 AM

The Phantom of the Opera, which I saw on Broadway 90 times between 1998 and 2023. The original New York Times review, which features my favorite quote about the show and perfectly summarizes the magic of the show: "the show's most persuasive love story is Mr. Prince's and Ms. Bjornson's unabashed crush on the theater itself, from footlights to dressing rooms, from flies to trap doors."  Yes, Phantom is the theatrical show I have ever seen, and I never got tired of s

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 27 2024, 10:18:45 PM

A few for me: 

Brooklyn (or however you spell it) I saw this on New Year's Eve matinee in 2003. It was the only show that was playing and wasn't sold out. I was so excited because the ad campaign made it seem like it was the new RENT and I wanted in on the ground floor. Man was I disappointed. The whole show, I tried to force myself to like it and convince myself that I would be seeing this show over and over and playing the recording on repeat. But it just never came toge

North West appears in Lion King concert and Theatertok melts down
 May 25 2024, 11:13:13 PM

Last night, there was a special one of two-night only concerts celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Lion King movie at the Hollywood bowl in Los Angeles. Here's an article from Variety about it: 

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Daughter North West to Sing ‘I Just Can't Wait to Be King' at ‘Lion King' Concert (EXCLUSIVE) (msn.com)

I, unfortunately, made the mistake of commenting on one of the Tiktoks I read about it so now I am getting flooded with videos about the performance. All North West did was come out and sing along to "I Just Can't Wait to be King".  That's all. She didn't play Simba throughout the entire show. There wasn't even an entire show; it was just a concert, that will be recorded and broadcast on Disney+. 

I was struck at how confused people on Theater-tok are about the specifics of the show. The following comments were posted many, many times on multiple posts: 

-The Hollywood Bowl is the Broadway production of Lion King

-The Lion King's black creators expected black children like North West to perform in the show, so it's actually good she sang the song. (cough cough Julie and Elton) 

-many "real" actors out there would have loved to play the part of Simba, but North West's wealthy parents took the part away from them. 

-If you have wealthy enough parents, you can essentially buy your way into performing leading roles such as Simba in professional productions. 

-Kim and Kanye paid Disney enough money to convince Disney to have North sing the one song. 

Basically, people on Tiktok are treating this like a watershed moment in the history of nepotism in casting and they're not going to stand for it anymore. I feel that we have been living in a Kardashian world for a while now and we might as well accept it. Is this all that different from the stunt casting that goes on in a show like Chicago? Don't we fully expect someone like North West to be cast in Chicago in a few years? 

What Next For The Majestic?
 Apr 29 2024, 02:11:41 PM

How long would you expect an Audra-led Gypsy to run? September 2024 to late summer 2025 perhaps? 

So many on this board were repeating the rumor that Phantom was returning to the Majestic in the 2024-25 season. Just curious if those rumors have died down now or if Gypsy would be more of a limited run. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You