News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for knicknut

Member Name: knicknut
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Forbidden Broadway: Alive & Kicking
 Jul 28 2012, 07:36:38 PM
Thanks, macnyc!
One Man Two Guvnors to close September 2nd
 Jun 13 2012, 11:50:08 AM
I consider myself to be a fan of outlandish farces. I loved BOEING BOEING and IS HE DEAD? a few years ago, and enjoyed LEND ME A TENOR. However the performance at the Tonys was painful for me to sit through, both live (at the rehearsal) and on TV. Is there a chance that I just didn't get it out of context, or if I didn't find that funny, I won't find the full show enjoyable?
Let's Make Some Ridiculously Innaccurate Tony Predictions
 Dec 31 2011, 12:26:19 AM
(1) As much as I like Danny Burstein and enjoyed his performance, I doubt it's even remembered come Tony time in 5+ months. He'll be lucky to get a lead nomination, let alone win. In featured, he would have had a chance.

(2) OP has Josh Young for featured in JCS. How have previous Tony awards handled eligibility for Judas? He's the lead character of the show and should realistically be considered lead along with Jesus (if either should be featured, it should be Jesus). But, it wou

Maximum tickets you can buy at box office?
 Jun 8 2008, 10:06:40 AM
I'm going into the city today, and a number of family members and friends have asked me to buy tickets to South Pacific for them for various dates in the fall. (I'll be in the area anyway, and they'd rather not pay the Telecharge fees, which add up fast, and they'd rather have physical tickets than e-tickets.)

I know on Telecharge you can't order more than 10 tickets in 7 days. Does the same rule apply at the box office? Do I have to buy the rest of my tickets in a week, or tell my f

re: free! IN THE HEIGHTS ticket for 3/1 2 pm matinee
 Feb 27 2008, 08:08:37 AM
you've got pm (and you're awesome for offering this!)
re: broadway shows in general
 Feb 22 2008, 05:51:10 PM
With a question that vague, you'll get recommendations for almost every musical on Broadway.

What are your tastes? What shows have you seen, and which did you like the best? Then we'll get a better sense of what you like and which ones you may like even more.

re: Possible RENT National Tour with Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal
 Feb 22 2008, 05:34:06 PM
In response about getting security for A&A, when Adam Pascal came to my university for a concert in the auditorium, I was a volunteer usher. It was built into his contract that he have an usher manning each set of stairs on the sides up to the stage to prevent people from rushing the stage in the middle of the concert.

While I can understand security for stage doors on the road, etc., this request seemed terribly vain. I mean people weren't even standing, let alone trying to rush th

re: How has WICKED lottery been lately?
 Feb 19 2008, 12:34:32 PM
I think you have better chances just entering for one ticket. Best of luck!

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. They just pick them in order regardless of 1 or 2 tickets wanted, then if they have only 1 ticket left the ask the next people drawn people, if they wanted 2, if they're willing to take just 1. That's how I got my Wicked ticket (1 for 6 or so). Entered for 2, they drew about 5 names before someone (I) was willing to step down.

re: Why Hairspray and not LB or Xanadu?
 Feb 12 2008, 08:30:21 AM
Hairspray's also about an "average" girl (read: unattractive) that will attract a large "average" contingent that lives vicariously through her. Just like Hanna Montana attracts girls who want to be "normal" but also a star, Hairspray allows unattractive girls to think they can be stars.

Crude but true.

BTW, I also found Hairspray to be fluff AND preachy, without being particularly novel. (You mean segregation is wrong? Wow--groovy!)

re: The Fantasticks - I didn't get it...
 Feb 11 2008, 08:17:44 PM
Well, there is a bit of stupidity to pay THAT much ($76). Discounts are EVERYWHERE for the show. So I blame them for that.
Shockingly, this person paid full price when the show has announced a closing date.

I never said I paid full price. I just said that ticket prices were $76, a price they apparently expect some people to pay and be satisfied with the production. I was judging the show from that perspective. I've never paid full price for a show in my life (until my clos

Feb 11 2008, 06:00:32 PM
I asked, "what was I missing," and the consensus answer is "it's a product of its time, you either like it or you don't." I wasn't asking why it was successful (although that is interesting), I was curious if there's some overarching theme or layer of depth I failed to notice. I guess not? It's just an acquired taste?
 Feb 11 2008, 02:58:44 PM
The Fantasticks - is still relevant and a solid piece of musical theater. It just doesn't have bells and whistles so many expect these days.

I was trying to make it clear that it was NOT the minimalism and intimacy of it that was the turnoff. I mentioned the lack of production value not because it was minimalist, but because it seemed amateurish and haphazard.

I don't need bells and whistles and I enjoy being challenged with subtlety and complexity. This production (a

Feb 11 2008, 12:43:32 PM
It didn't "attract the likes of Jerry Orbach". Orbach was a young, unknown performer, and The Fantasticks was his big break.

You have to imagine how innovative and exciting this show was back in 1960, in a little hole-in-the-wall theatre in Greenwich Village, with tickets selling for about 5 bucks.

OK, I didn't necessarily mean just "attract the likes" but also "launched the careers." I'll generalize as "was associated with the likes of."

That's the probl

The Fantasticks - I didn't get it...
 Feb 11 2008, 11:51:24 AM
I saw the Fantasticks for the first time last night. As a show that ran for 42 years and whose alumni read like a who's who of theater history, I expected understated brillance. What I saw was a disjoint production with almost no production value, mediocre performances, and one of the least enjoyable theatrical experiences I've had in a while.

Now, I understand the bare set is part of the quirkiness and mysticism of the production, and you're supposed to use your imagination. But wit

re: My thoughts on NEXT TO NORMAL (Long, possible spoilers)
 Feb 4 2008, 03:36:52 PM
Sounds great, I got the last ticket for tomorrow night! Thanks for the advice!
re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
 Feb 4 2008, 02:47:30 PM
Children of Eden (wouldn't be surprised if this got/gets some consideration with the commercial success of Wicked)
 Feb 4 2008, 02:28:15 PM
Thanks, Coulda.

However, I'd like to confirm the last two things you say, since it sounds like you say "it's worth the advance sale but I don't do it." You say the $15 extra is worth it, but then say you always do the rush? So you go for the $15 seats, not buying them in advance for $29, and it works out for you? Do you get there more than a half hour before?

Logic would say if only a few seats are available online, likely none will be available for that rush. But are th

Feb 4 2008, 01:58:18 PM
Hey, everyone, how ar the views from the back/sides of this theater? Is it small enough that every seat in the house is good?

I want to see this soon in case I love it and want to see it again, but reserving now gets a seat in the last row or two going out a couple weeks (at least at the Youth price). Only out closer to a month (near the end of the run) can I get something close.

Also, any luck getting the student rush? I assume it's whatever's left over? But if online sale

re: Spring Awakening at Forbidden Broadway
 Jan 30 2008, 10:29:38 PM
Saw it tonight. The Spring Awakening skit is definitely the highlight of the show and the funniest part, in my opinion.

Yes, Lea Michelle is gorgeous. The thing is she looks like she knows she's gorgeous. The way her smiles often don't seem genuine, the "I'm too hot to look more than mildly amused." Maybe I'm wrong, and she looks great in the more candid ones where she's laughing, but some of the shots just seem that way.

The real actor & spoofed character shots are gre

re: WaMu Theatre @ Madison Sq. Garden
 Jan 29 2008, 10:12:33 AM
I was there for the NBA draft, sat front row of the rear section on the right. Those guys are 7 feet tall and I could barely see them.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You