News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for A Director

Member Name: A Director
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Is A Vanity Project  Dec 1 2023, 01:21:54 PM

ALW is at it again. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Andrew-Lloyd-Webber-Broadway-is-Now-Almost-a-Vanity-Project-20231128?utm_source=newsletterweeklyuk&utm_medium=email

He has lost it!

If any show is a Vanity Project, it's BAD CINDERELLA!  May no ALW show ever appear on Broadway or any theatre in this country again.  Keep your shows and your ego in London.

Sufjan Stevens & Justin Peck's  Nov 16 2023, 10:58:06 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "ardiem said: "Looks like this is coming to the Armory:https://www.armoryonpark.org/programs_events/detail/illinoise"

As someone from Illinois, I’m taking the “e” very personally. I feel attacked.
"

Playing Drama Queen does not become you. I did some research.

Divya Srinivasan created the album artwork,[12] depicting a variety of Illinois-related themes, including Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln, the Sears Tower, and Black Hawk. The album cover reads, "Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel the Illinoise!" as a wordplay on the common mispronunciation of the state's name as "ill-i-NOYZ" and a reference to the Slade song "Cum On Feel the Noize" made famous in the United States by the metal band Quiet Riot.

THE GREAT GATSBY @ Paper Mill Playhouse Thread  Oct 10 2023, 02:34:18 AM

There have been three movie versions, a few play versions and an opera; none of them have worked.  And now a WHY musical version. THE GREAT GATSBY works best as a novel.

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.  Oct 10 2023, 02:23:29 AM

Sarah Brightman sings three songs from Sunset (The Minnie Mouse Versions)  If she doesn't have the power to sing "With One Look" and "As If We Never Said Goodbye," there is no reason to the show.

The Perfect Year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0HFbcM2ug

Surrenderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nq_tdfGAxo

Too Much Love To Care https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcSHTK1B1A

Sufjan Stevens & Justin Peck's "Illinois"  Jun 27 2023, 12:30:44 AM

The title of this thread is misleading. One of the Creatives isn't listed.

ILLINOIS

MUSIC AND LYRICS BY

SUFJAN STEVENS

(BASED ON THE ALBUM ILLINOIS)

STORY BY
JUSTIN PECK AND
JACKIE SIBBLIES DRURY

Why no mention of Jackie Sibblies Drury?

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Jun 26 2023, 06:37:01 AM

Most of the comments here are too much. When this production opened last summer, it got rave reviews and so did Charlie Stemp. When this production opens in London the reviews will be raves and Charlie Stemp will be a name. I doubt the show would transfer to Broadway without him.  By the way, Mr. Stemp turns 30  this November.

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Jun 26 2023, 06:21:23 AM

George in DC said: "I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

The entire cast is British. They haven't taken any role away from an American!
"

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Jun 26 2023, 06:18:06 AM

Dylan Smith - Charlie Stemp will turn 30 this November.

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Jun 26 2023, 06:14:33 AM

binau said: " This show is particularly exciting as well as it's the kind of thing that could make it to New York one day.

Crazy For You originated on Broadway!

Andrew Lloyd Webber on Musicals and Political Correctness  Jun 16 2023, 02:32:07 AM

Joevitus - What a wonder you are!  If you had lived in 1930s Germany, you would have told Jews, "It's just a star."  In 1955, you would have told Rosa Parks there are plenty of other seats on the bus.  If you were at Stonewall in June 1969, you would have told patrons not to upset people.

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread  May 2 2023, 03:25:33 PM

How soon will this costly mistake close? Who ya going to blame Andrew?

Met Gala Red Carpet  May 2 2023, 03:14:59 PM

BrodyFosse123 You state,, "The majority will change into comfortable outfits once inside so the costume parade is just for their arrival and the red carpet Hallowe’en display." I doubt Jordon Roth was part of majority. Jordon Roth always looks ridiculous and outlandish.  It's a cry for attention.

Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part  Apr 27 2023, 02:19:37 AM

James Edwards2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "James Edwards2 said: "

You are right. Thank you again. I do not usually post on message boards and I am not nearly as articulate as you are."

It has nothing to do with being articulate. Theres a valid point to be made here but you keep haranguing and insulting people, you seem hysterical about the issue, and you end up making arguments that are the flipside of the anti semitic coin. I find

Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part  Apr 27 2023, 02:15:37 AM

James Edwards2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "James Edwards2 said: "

You are right. Thank you again. I do not usually post on message boards and I am not nearly as articulate as you are."

It has nothing to do with being articulate. Theres a valid point to be made here but you keep haranguing and insulting people, you seem hysterical about the issue, and you end up making arguments that are the flipside of the anti semitic coin. I find

Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part  Apr 27 2023, 02:09:11 AM

James Edwards2 - I am Jewish. I am troubled by posts because of your attempt to stir the post, your lack knowledege and your ignorance. Are you Jewish? In some posts you say you are and in others you don't mention this.  It's a simple YES or NO question.  If you are, why do you hide it?  Are you shamed oof being Jewish?  Was/is your family Jewish, but you have renounced the faith?

In your first post, you declare that Sean Hayes should not have been cast because he doesn't have Semitic features or mannerisms. You have been asked to define what you mean, but you refuse to do this? I am troubled because you appear to implying that all Jews look and act the same way. Should directors, producers, playwrights and casting  directors have a little check list for Jewish characters?  How many boxes should be checked before an actor is considered for a role?  By the way, does the actor who plays George Gershwin have Semitic features and mannerisms?.

Here a little history lesson for you. Do you know of or hear about the Immigration Act of 1924? "The Immigration Act of 1924, or Johnson–Reed Act, including the Asian Exclusion Act and National Origins Act (enacted May 26, 1924), was a United States federal law that prevented immigration from Asia and set quotas on the number of immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe. It also authorized the creation of the country's first formal border control service, the U.S. Border Patrol, and established a "consular control system" that allowed entry only to those who first obtained a visa from a U.S. consulate abroad."  This remained on the books until the mid 1960s. At the time, many Jews in the arts changed their name in order to fit in.  At the time, many non-Jews said the Jews were NOT WHITE. Today, much of this has is all in the past.  On the other hand, there are people on the Right believe in the Replacement Theory, the Jews are going to take over the United States/the World.  Back in 2017, the young men who protested in Virginia chanted "Jews will not replace us."

Back to the theatre and your comments.  The goal of non-traditional casting is to no longer to exclude  performers from marginalized groups.  This also includes producers, directors, designers and production crews.

Back to the Jews.  The three best known Jews characters in dramatic literature are Shylock, Anne Frank and Tevye who are all from the past.  I'll throw in Fagin.  Their stories are unique, but they do not represent all Jews.  There are many more Jewish stories to tell. On a side note, when the authors of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF first approached Hal Prince about their show, he didn't understand the story. or characters.  Some would think Prince, a Jew, would not have a problem with show.   They would be wrong.  Prince's family  were German Jews and he didn't grow-up with the original stories.

James Edwards 2 -You believe you are being good to callout  the casting of Sean Hayes.  From my point of view, you are not.

Phantom[s] Return!!!  Apr 20 2023, 05:41:15 AM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Impeach2017 said: "are you talking to yourself?"

As a matter of fact, I yam. And having a brilliant conversation to boot.

YOU must relate to the old Dorothy Parker adage "If you can't say anything nice about someone ... come sit next to me".
"

It is not a Dorothy Parker quote; the remark originated with Alice Roosevelt Longworth.

Phantom Closing?  Apr 17 2023, 04:02:06 AM

In the speeches, did anyone mention Richard Stilgoe, who cowrote the book or Charles Hart who wrote the lyrics or did ALW's ego not allow it?

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Mar 24 2023, 02:35:06 AM

BossBroadway said: "I also don't really see it closing too soon. A show hasn't closed because of reviews alone in a very long time. Their advance sales are too great, but they're not awful either. Most Broadway shows' advance sales are only good about a week or two in advance now. If Some Like It Hot has been able to hold it out, I fully believe Bad Cinderella can too. People will still go and see this show as they have during previews, regardless of what the reviews

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Mar 24 2023, 02:13:19 AM

What a blood bath. The show should have never crossed the pond.  It's sad the actors were  given little to work with. Pop rock musicals are out of style. Too bad ALW didn't get the message. Mickey Joe's next video about the show will be funny and awkward.  Will BC close the same day as POTO does?

Phantom Closing?  Mar 15 2023, 04:28:14 PM

A banner saying GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE should be hung on the theatre and then never close.

ALW will fight to keep POTO open once Bad Cinderella flops.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You