News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Scripps2

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Scripps2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I go to the theatre to be stimulated, moved and challenged. Sometimes I get all three and occasionally I get my mind jolted as well. Particular thanks to Messrs Chekhov, Ibsen and Sondheim.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

London - mid March 2023  Mar 13 2023, 06:33:44 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "...But “Sky’s Edge” was so beautiful and moving and of everything I saw that one is still in my head."

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

The one scathing review it received (in The Spectator) said far more about the reviewer than it did about the show.

Follies: discovering it later  Mar 13 2023, 06:30:34 PM

This thread was and remains one of the highlights of my Broadwayworld experience when I was posting regularly here many years ago. The shared knowledge and experience of Follies enhanced my own understanding of why the show means so much to me.

London - mid March 2023  Feb 8 2023, 04:56:34 PM

yyys said: "Thanks Jordan...Standing at the Sky’s Edge sounds interesting!"

Standing at the Sky's Edge has a very ambitious book that starts with three different stories at three different points in time and, as the stories progress and time changes (not necessarily forwards), they begin to overlap with one another - there's a lot going on and audiences need to have their wits about them. It also uses the building in which the drama takes p

Stephen Sondheim Dead at 91  Nov 27 2021, 04:44:06 AM

"It was marvelous to know you. And it's never really through."

Company London  Apr 8 2019, 02:26:15 PM

Scripps2 said: "Having turned in great performances here, there and everywhere for the last few years, and with reviews like this, Mr Bailey presumably has the supporting-Olivier in the bag."

Glad it's now in the bag and not down those skinny white jeans he wears, though his wearing of them alone, even without the great performance, is Olivier-worthy.

I must say a significant part of the pleasure of this production for me, which I saw twice, was se

Company London  Oct 18 2018, 04:46:20 PM

The real transfer question here is neither Rosalie nor Patti but Johnny.

Having turned in great performances here, there and everywhere for the last few years, and with reviews like this, Mr Bailey presumably has the supporting-Olivier in the bag.

THE FERRYMAN Previews  Oct 8 2018, 04:46:25 PM

Georgeanddat said: "It just doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a black comedy, or a mythology play, or a political thriller or a family drama. It kind of just chooses to do all of it."

I assume that was a deliberate choice and the debate is more about whether it succeeds: yes; no; yes; maybe. I certainly enjoyed the Act I set-up that results in the family laughing at the wrong assumption that the author has lured the audience into.

THE FERRYMAN Previews  Oct 8 2018, 04:41:10 PM

This isn't in the same league as Jerusalem but it's a funny and thrilling piece of theatre. When I saw it in London a guy in the row behind me leapt up and shouted "what an ending," when the sudden release came after the slow build, and I wouldn't disagree with him. It's not a philosophical masterpiece nor is it profound nor does it offer insight into the human condition but it is both damn good fun and a damn good roller coaster ride.

Apparently

Dear Evan Hansen going to West End!  Oct 8 2018, 04:14:20 PM

ajh said: "Good point. That’s why The Mystery Of Edwin Drood never really caught on in the UK. The original West End production, mounted by the same team responsible for the Broadway hit version and with a starry cast, flopped miserably."

Yes, that's another.

Full credit to the Kinky Boots team who were determined to produce something that had an authentic voice and would therefore transfer successfully. Which, of course, it did. Full credit to

Dear Evan Hansen going to West End!  Oct 5 2018, 04:15:43 PM

MadsonMelo said: "I wonder if Gentleman's Guide will ever play West End.
From the 2000's it's the only winner that has not been there, right?
"

SomethingPeculiar said: "Wow, that's kind of a shocking stat! Especially since it's SO British."

But it's not SO British at all; it is an American perception of what British is.

And that is why it hasn't transferred.

Company London  Oct 5 2018, 03:52:14 PM

lotiloti said: "Every time a West End show transfers, you all immediately start recasting with a named star"

Exactly.

There are some here who are so fixated that they would have suggested Laura Benanti and/or Sutton Foster to play Christopher in Curious Incident.

RIP Kevin Colson of Aspects of Love  Apr 25 2018, 03:57:48 PM

He was an admirable Ben Stone in the European premiere of Follies in Manchester in 1985.

FOLLIES- National Theatre Live  Dec 22 2017, 02:08:04 PM
With respect to the performances of the actors playing Solange and Hattie, they were deliberately directed not to make star turns of their songs. Ditto Carlotta and other characters with stand-alone songs.
FOLLIES- National Theatre Live  Dec 22 2017, 01:59:49 PM

Gizmo6 said: "I should of guessed..."

I think that tells us all we need to know about who had the better education.

Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?  Dec 2 2017, 02:48:23 AM
I saw this at the Donmar and thought it the best thing I saw that year. I'd say being close to the actors is better although the closer you are the more risk you have of needing to use some paper towels after it's over.
National Theatre: Follies  Oct 29 2017, 05:34:15 PM

Well, that was astonishing - I've never seen so many American gay men in the National Theatre!

And, beyond any shadow of a doubt, it was the best production of Follies I've seen. The book they used seemed to be an augmented version of the 1971 original. All the great dialogue was there; there were no wtf moments when something you expect to hear doesn't happen. And I saw and understood in a way I've never seen before just how well integrated the whole piec

National Theatre: Follies  Oct 28 2017, 05:46:44 AM

I saw the European premier in Manchester in 1985 with my late parents, which used James Goldman's original script. We found it such an astounding experience that my father came out of the matinee and immediately booked for us all to see the show again that evening.

A couple of years later, we also saw the 1987 London production, which, sepia-tinted and watered-down and despite its lavish production values and starry cast, felt underwhelming in comparison.

And I've seen f

National Theatre: Follies  Oct 5 2017, 06:07:31 PM

I've watched that trailer four times in a row and am now extremely excited to see this in three weeks time.

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018  Oct 5 2017, 06:05:42 PM

So did a bigger name give last minute backword on the role of Higgins?

Merrily We Roll Along directed by Maria Friedman  Sep 27 2017, 02:09:08 PM

GeorgeandDot said: "Jenna Russel's Mary over in London was very fleshed out and definitely the highlight of the production for me. I'm disappointed that she didn't transfer over the pond with this."

Jenna Russell is currently paying off her mortgage, boosting her pension fund and wasting her talents with a lead role in EastEnders.

Still, she's making a better job of it than Maria Friedman did with her role in EastEnders.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You