News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bwybuff87

Member Name: bwybuff87
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Try to list every Broadway musical you've ever seen.
 Nov 8 2009, 03:58:50 AM
Not too many-some of them London and some national tours

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Billy Elliot
La Cage Aux Folles (London)
Carousel (London)
Cats (On Tour)
Chicago (On Tour x2)
A Chorus Line
Curtains
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Drowsy Chaperone
Gypsy (Bernadette and Patti)
Hair
Hairspray (Tour)
Jersey Boys
Jekyll and Hyde
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (London)
Kiss Me Kate
The Last Five

re: What is up with all of these movie musicals coming out of nowhere
 Jul 23 2008, 11:34:22 PM
that is true
What is up with all of these movie musicals coming out of nowhere
 Jul 23 2008, 11:30:39 PM
Okay ever since Chicago receieved the Oscar for Best Picture, development of movie musicals have gone into high speed from Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, Rent, Dreamgirls, High School Musical to the more recent Enchanted, Hairspray, Sweeney Todd, and Mamma Mia, movie musicals are everywhere these days.
Even though some of these movies either don't make much money or aren't done very well one thing is clear: the genre is here to stay. Not that it ever went away, but intrest is high in

People Focus....News of a Jesus Christ Superstar Movie Remake and A Wicked Movie....I Kid You Not
 Jul 15 2008, 01:35:38 AM
An article just posted by variety about six hours ago concerning the producer of the new movie Wanted reads as follows: P.S. READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE. It includes news about other upcoming projects, including the NINE movie and a movie about George Gershwins life

Link to article: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117988927.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Universal Pictures has reupped "Wanted" producer Marc Platt for five years, keeping Marc Platt Prods. on the lot through late 2012.
Deal comes as Platt begins work on "Wanted 2" with director Timur Bekmambetov and writers Michael Brandt and Derek Haas.
The producer also just set up a remake of the 1973 rock opera "Jesus Christ Superstar," and Platt and the studio are taking formative steps toward a screen adaptation of "Wicked," the stage musical that Universal co-finances and Platt produces with David Stone.
After crossing the $1 billion mark in worldwide stage gross and opening its eighth production in Australia, "Wicked" has become one of the studio's most profitable investments and could follow a stage-to-screen track reminiscent of "Mamma Mia!" which U bows Friday.
Platt, who transitioned from U production prexy to producer under Stacey Snider and Ron Meyer, has been at the studio for a decade. While he remains close with Snider (who left to run DreamWorks), he said he's loyal to Meyer -- who championed U's investment in "Wicked" -- and has developed strong ties to U Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger, co-chairman David Linde and production president Donna Langley.
U brass has made it a priority to lock up their big suppliers, and Platt's pact follows longterm deals made by Imagine Entertainment and Working Title.
"Marc has strong commercial tastes, but so eclectic that you can't put him in a box or category," Langley said. "Our goal now is absolutely to make the 'Wicked' film, but much like Judy Craymer wouldn't give up screen rights to 'Mamma Mia!' until the stage show had reached its pinnacle, Marc and Stephen Schwartz are very mindful of the right timing. But we're dying to do it."
Platt, who produced the play with Stone and U, confirmed they are in early movie talks, and that book writer Winnie Holzman will write the script.
Proceeding at quicker pace is "Wanted 2," though Platt acknowledged that the creative team is still working on the challenge of continuing the story after most of the principal characters -- including Angelina Jolie -- ended the original in no position for an encore. But the film was designed as a potential franchise, Langley said, and it is still performing strongly after grossing $192.6 million worldwide. The intention is to get James McAvoy back into gunslinging mode.
"The writers are at work already, and those creative discussions are taking place," said Platt, who is producing once again with Jim Lemley.
That duo also is teamed with Bekmambetov on a Universal adaptation of the Christian Gossett sci-fi graphic novel "The Red Star," which has a script draft by Matthew Sand.
Platt is working on two other screen musicals. His next film, for the Weinstein Co., is the Rob Marshall-directed "Nine," which stars Daniel Day-Lewis and shoots in London this fall. For Universal, he's just agreed to supervise a remake of the studio's rock opera "Jesus Christ Superstar," which was directed by Norman Jewison with songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. Platt is in discussions with filmmakers.
The producer's next film for Universal will be "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," an adaptation of the Michael Bacall graphic novel series that will be directed by Edgar Wright. Platt is producing with Big Talk Prods. partners Nira Park and Wright, who wrote the script with Bacall.
Platt has set several projects at the studio. One is "Gershwin," a biopic of George Gershwin that will be written by Doug Wright ("Quills"). Platt, who is partnered on the project with pianist and Gershwin expert Michael Feinstein, said the film has the support of the estate of George and Ira Gershwin, and will revolve around Gershwin's life during the formative stages of "Porgy and Bess."
Other Platt projects include: "Family Bond," which he'll produce with Al Gough and Miles Millar, with Jeff Lowell scripting; "Drive," a Hossein Amini-scripted adaptation of the James Sallis novel that will be directed by Neil Marshall ("The Descent"), which Platt will produce with John Palermo and star Hugh Jackman's Seed Prods.; and "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud," an adaptation of the Ben Sherwood novel that Joe Johnston will direct.
Platt's next stage venture is a Roundabout Theater production of "Pal Joey," which is being directed by Joe Mantello in December.

"Marc has strong commercial tastes, but so eclectic that you can't put him in a box or category," Langley said. "Our goal now is absolutely to make the 'Wicked' film, but much like Judy Craymer wouldn't give up screen rights to 'Mamma Mia!' until the stage show had reached its pinnacle, Marc and Stephen Schwartz are very mindful of the right timing. But we're dying to do it."

Platt, who produced the play with Stone and U, confirmed they are in early movie talks, and that book writer Winnie Holzman will write the script.

Proceeding at quicker pace is "Wanted 2," though Platt acknowledged that the creative team is still working on the challenge of continuing the story after most of the principal characters -- including Angelina Jolie -- ended the original in no position for an encore. But the film was designed as a potential franchise, Langley said, and it is still performing strongly after grossing $192.6 million worldwide. The intention is to get James McAvoy back into gunslinging mode.

"The writers are at work already, and those creative discussions are taking place," said Platt, who is producing once again with Jim Lemley.

That duo also is teamed with Bekmambetov on a Universal adaptation of the Christian Gossett sci-fi graphic novel "The Red Star," which has a script draft by Matthew Sand.

Platt is working on two other screen musicals. His next film, for the Weinstein Co., is the Rob Marshall-directed "Nine," which stars Daniel Day-Lewis and shoots in London this fall. For Universal, he's just agreed to supervise a remake of the studio's rock opera "Jesus Christ Superstar," which was directed by Norman Jewison with songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. Platt is in discussions with filmmakers.

The producer's next film for Universal will be "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," an adaptation of the Michael Bacall graphic novel series that will be directed by Edgar Wright. Platt is producing with Big Talk Prods. partners Nira Park and Wright, who wrote the script with Bacall.

Platt has set several projects at the studio. One is "Gershwin," a biopic of George Gershwin that will be written by Doug Wright ("Quills"). Platt, who is partnered on the project with pianist and Gershwin expert Michael Feinstein, said the film has the support of the estate of George and Ira Gershwin, and will revolve around Gershwin's life during the formative stages of "Porgy and Bess."

Other Platt projects include: "Family Bond," which he'll produce with Al Gough and Miles Millar, with Jeff Lowell scripting; "Drive," a Hossein Amini-scripted adaptation of the James Sallis novel that will be directed by Neil Marshall ("The Descent"), which Platt will produce with John Palermo and star Hugh Jackman's Seed Prods.; and "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud," an adaptation of the Ben Sherwood novel that Joe Johnston will direct.

Platt's next stage venture is a Roundabout Theater production of "Pal Joey," which is being directed by Joe Mantello in December."

re: Godspell Revival
 Jun 18 2008, 03:21:42 PM
I plan to see it in December. I am totes excited
re: Best/Worst Performance at the Tony's?
 Jun 16 2008, 03:51:46 AM
Best: Sunday in the Park With George Runner Up: Gypsy

Worst: Faith Prince Runner Up: Grease

Best Revival of a Musical
 Jun 16 2008, 12:28:56 AM
I kind of wish that SITPWG would have won, but South Pacific was a very good show. Just being a Sondheim lover, I am immediatly drawn to anything Sondheim. I also loved how Glenn Close had a lisp during the announcement

Thoughts?

re: What showtune always makes you happy no matter what?
 Jun 14 2008, 01:46:03 PM
La Vie Boheme
Oh My God You Guys
Take Me or Leave Me
Dancing Through Life
You Can't Stop the Beat

re: Shrek
 Jun 13 2008, 04:18:31 PM
Shrek = AMAZING

Fin.

re: Your favorite Glinda?
 Jun 2 2008, 01:41:14 AM
My favorite Glinda was actually an understudy. I saw Wicked a couple of weeks ago and Lynsey Northen was in that night and she did amazing in the role.
re: Original RENT cast and Current LION KING cast to perform on Tony teleca
 May 29 2008, 12:54:04 PM
This makes me so excited!!! Can't wait to watch the Tony;s
re: NEW South Pacific Recording!!
 May 29 2008, 05:26:32 AM
I just finsihed listening to it. I always love Kelli O Hara and Matthew Morrison, but I was very impressed by Paulo
re: Ny trip - help choosing shows
 Apr 25 2008, 01:44:10 AM
For family: A Little Mermaid and Wicked and/or Mary Poppins

For you: Sunday in the Park
Gypsy
Legally Blonde
South Pacific
Spring Awakening

re: Understudies You Liked Better Than the Person Playing the Role
 Apr 25 2008, 01:36:51 AM
Laura Marie Duncan as Christine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
re: Words/phrases you learned from musicals?
 Apr 20 2008, 02:42:48 AM
no good deed goes unpunished. "Wicked"
Perspective
 Apr 11 2008, 01:46:36 AM
I saw the Odd Couple with Matthew Broaderick and Nathan Lane a couple of years back. Matthew was just the sweetest person, stayed to talk to everyone, signed Playbills and was willing to stay for pictures. Nathan Lane was just being a queen that night. I told him he did a good job and he told me "like I haven't heard that before, thanks for coming to the show". I was hurt and I lost all my respect for him as a person that night.
re: Miss Saigon vs. Ragtime (March Madness Finals)
 Apr 7 2008, 08:40:22 PM
Ragtime
re: Miss Saigon vs. Side Show (March Madness, Semifinals, game 1)
 Apr 3 2008, 11:36:28 AM
Side Show
re: Falsettos vs. Ragtime (March Madness, Semifinals, game 2)
 Apr 3 2008, 11:35:56 AM
Ragtime
re: Favorite Sondheim Lyric?
 Mar 31 2008, 02:03:07 AM
From SITPWG:

"Anything you do, let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see" from Move On

and

"So much love in his words... forever with his colors...
how George looks... he can look forever... what does he see? ...his
eyes so dark and shiny... so careful... so exact..."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You