Best Revival of a Musical

bwybuff87
#1Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:28am

I kind of wish that SITPWG would have won, but South Pacific was a very good show. Just being a Sondheim lover, I am immediatly drawn to anything Sondheim. I also loved how Glenn Close had a lisp during the announcement

Thoughts?
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 12:28 AM

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#2re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:30am

I thought Gypsy was going to win. I mean it won everything else it was nominated for. But I guess they thought South Pacific was better.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#2re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:31am

No Gypsy didn't it won 3 out of 7. I would have liked it to win but be real.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#3re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:34am

At least Patti LuPone won Best Actress. She deserved it.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#4re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:39am

My big disappointment this year was that Sunday in the Park with George was shut out. I was really hoping it would win Revival and Leading Actor in particular.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#5re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:44am

Sunday should not have left empty-handed.

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#6re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:25am

You know how Patti was the best reviewed performer of the season, well SP was the best reviewed revival of the season.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#7re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:29am

Excuse me while I turn to my scrapbook for comfort.

There we are, February 2007: 'Sunday In The Park With George', five Olivier awards! Outstanding Musical Production, Best Actress in a Musical, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Lighting Design, Best Set Design. At least the production has received SOME recognition, and Tony nominations may seem arbitrary at times but are still nothing to be sneezed at, I guess.

I guess this is the last we'll see of this production. Excuse me, I must listen to my cast recording.

MuseOfComedy
#8re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:54am

i was rooting for at least Daniel Evans. A much more layered and powerful performance than Szot's. But no other man could come close to Szot's vocals this year (even though I think Cheyenne's makes me weak in the knees).

Roscoe
#9re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 10:05am

I'm completely satisfied that SUNDAY got shut out. A hopelessly surrealistically overrated production. It didn't deserve any recognition of any kind whatsoever.

Bye bye GEORGE. I hope there's a better production in the years to come.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10re: Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:05pm

Rosco, you don't like the show? or this particular production?

As for why SOUTH PACIFIC won, I can again detect the fingerprints of the "out-of-town" Tony voters. But their reasoning is, I feel, faulty. SOUTH PACIFIC - if it is to tour - would draw well whether it wins a Tony or not.

I don't think advertising a show as "Tony Award Winner" translates to many more tickets sold.

SUNDAY would be a tough sell on the road. Even with glowing reviews, far better reviews than the original production garnered, it never sold out a 1,000 seat theatre. It did very well, but not sensational. SUNDAY has a tough membrane that is hard for some people to penetrate. When they do, and they get what it is about they fall madly in love with teh piece. But it takes work and many of the more casual theatre goers out for an evening's entertainment write it off as "boring." This is why when the show was done at Kennedy Center for 16 performances, it sold out.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos