News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ColorTheHours048

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
Member Name: ColorTheHours048
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread  May 3 2024, 03:09:21 PM

“Masquerade” is the most obvious single (ironic, given it’s status in the play), and “Bright” is the emotional focal point, but I’m really enjoying “Drive” in its full version. It’s the first song we hear them actually play, so it has to be a hook, and it really is.

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread  May 3 2024, 12:59:31 PM

If anyone wants to be a good member of the community, I would be most appreciative. Please and thank you.

Alex Edelman, Abe Jacob, Nikiya Mathis among winners of special Tony awards.  May 2 2024, 12:31:50 PM

The single best thing happening on a Broadway stage this season was Nikiya Mathis’s hair and wig design for Jaja’s African Hair Braiding, so this is a great choice. I still wish hair and makeup had a category alongside the other technical categories, but it feels correct to honor this particular achievement.

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 1 2024, 11:02:19 PM

Matt Rogers said: "Does anyone dislike this thing or is justtotal love? I recently saw it and my opinion definitely does not match theraves posted here or from the critics."

I didn’t like it at the Armory. The two folks I was with also didn’t care for it, so you’re definitely not alone.

I haven’t seen it on Broadway, but one of my biggest issues was that it felt swallowed up by the Armory space - which also resulted in some sound issues

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 1 2024, 11:13:28 AM

Also, they had me at “bare-behind chorus boys.” Like, yeah babes, they know their audience.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 1 2024, 10:23:23 AM

“Garish cartoon strip” is kind of exactly the tone of the movie, so I don’t think it’s the dig Adeliciaboy thinks it is.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 09:23:01 AM

LuckyDipster said: "There are some threads I just shouldn't step into. Why do I punish myself?"

Because you want to play the victim for, I don’t know, liking Back to the Future? Pretty weird hill to climb atop and then loudly proclaim you’re dying on.

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 30 2024, 02:30:50 PM

chrishuyen said: "Did anyone get the vinyl they were selling at the theater? Curious to know what's on there and if it includes everything we'd get on the cast album release"

It’s a single that includes “Masquerade,” not the full album.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  Apr 30 2024, 01:59:54 PM

hearthemsing22 said: "Ensemble1698878795 said: "Kimberly Akimbo could've closed in January and made room for a new show to take that theater."

January 2024 or 2025? 2025 would have been a long time to go at the rate of their grosses...
"

They clearly meant January 2024, which would have freed up the Booth to I guess add another show to this bloated season. Personally, I’m glad they didn’t. This season had plenty and nothin

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 30 2024, 01:20:40 PM

The podcast Decoder Ring did an episode on creating the music for the show, and it features two different versions of “Bright” at the end. One is the start of the acoustic version and one is the uptempo version. Episode link for Spotify is here.

Neither sound like the second (“final”) recording session version we hear, so I’m assuming we’re getting two or three versions of it on the cast recording. At the very least, we’ll have the uptempo and “final” versions.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 12:41:52 PM

Markie27 said: "I do agree with you that most orchestrations doesn’t mean best orchestration. But it’s is more difficult and impressive to orchestrate a full musical with more instrumentations. Again I’m not pertaining to the score which I believe Stereophonic succeeded in spades. But it is more difficult to orchestrate, balance and blend percussions, strings, winds, vocals on full songs in a full musical - trying to create a beautiful balance weaving

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  Apr 30 2024, 12:31:54 PM

Lempicka needs to cut their losses and pack it up. Even Heart of Rock and Roll is out-grossing them now. And $48 average? Big yikes.

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  Apr 30 2024, 12:02:31 PM

Eli Gelb for his performance in Stereophonic. A role that could have easily been overlooked, but he has the best (and subtlest) arc in the show.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 11:27:17 AM

Most orchestrations does not equal best orchestrations, in the same way that most acting doesn’t equal best acting.

Stereophonic is an absolutely brilliant feat of orchestration. The two (technically, three) versions of “Bright” alone are a great example of that. They sound like entirely different songs played back to back, but they’re just re-orchestrated within the context of the show.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 09:51:51 AM

BossBroadway said: "Stereophonic has great songs, it does NOT have a great score."

In fact, it does. Just because it’s not a musical doesn’t discredit the fact that Will Butler wrote great original music for it. Even if the year of musicals had been stronger, it still would have been nominated and would likely still be the frontrunner it is.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:44:52 AM

Ptero2 said: "Who the heck is gonna win Featured Actor in a Play? Corey Stoll? Will Keen was the most common prediction I had seen before today, but, well..."

Eli Gelb or Will Brill would be my pick.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 09:27:30 AM

Chris Stack and Andrew R. Butler were robbed of featured actor nominations for Stereophonic.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:15:06 AM

Kad said: "A lot of love for Stereophonic, including orchestrations and FIVE featured performance nominations."

Stereophonic sweep, let’s gooooooooo!

farewell Kimmy!  Apr 28 2024, 06:03:27 PM

Farewell, Kimmy, indeed! I hope it does fare well on tour, internationally, and regionally for many years to come. An absolutely beautiful heartbreaker of a show. It healed me in so many ways, not least of which was dealing with unresolved grief over my grandmother’s passing almost 20 years ago. For that, I’ll be forever grateful.

I took 9 trips to the Booth, and wish I could have made it 10 today, but you can’t always get what you want. Wishing this incredible cast a

STEREOPHONIC Previews  Apr 26 2024, 05:00:05 PM

Interesting article about some of the technical aspects of the show and its creation: https://variety.com/2024/legit/news/stereophonic-broadway-behind-the-scenes-1235974171/

I saw it for a third time last night, and it really is a marvel of storytelling and craft. I pick up new things each time, my favorite last night being how Charlie is listening to his music off to the side while Diana plays “Bright” for the first time and slowly removes his headphones to listen to her, like he’s entranced. And the composition of the stage picture is almost pastoral. Just… *chef’s kiss*.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You