News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for UptownScribe

UptownScribe Profile Photo
Member Name: UptownScribe
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews
 Oct 30 2016, 08:08:03 PM

schubox said: "I just got out and have pretty mixed feelings. Parts of it were overwhelming in the best way possible. Groban (when he was actually in it) was wonderful.

Some of the sections really drag. And the characters aren't nearly enough to earn some of the emotion they're trying to generate at the end.

But all that being said, I had an amazing time. The highs are so high, it's like nothing else I've ever seen.

The staging and lig

Can we talk about Bright Star?
 Apr 10 2016, 07:08:11 PM

I didn't locate a thread quickly enough so, in advance, my apologies if you've tread/trod this already. What? What? What? Steve Martin: this isn't "Underpants" or "Lapin Agile." What happened? Oh my goodness. "Hamilton" was a mixtape made into a musical. "Bright Star" should have been a mixtape that should have stayed a mixtape. The music and the harmonies are gorgeous. The lyrics, well, I was finishing the lines though I'd never heard t

Waitress Previews
 Apr 3 2016, 10:58:22 PM

I attended the matinee today. I haven't seen the movie and didn't see the run at ART in Boston so this is a response to the first time knowing the plot. First, Jenna's mother resembles the late Adrienne Shelly so much that I was distracted by it and wondered if it was by design in her memory. Also, the doctor resembles Paul Ryan in Congress which REALLY distracted me! About the musical: Jessie Mueller was wonderful and deserves this showcase for her talent and unique singing voice

Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
 Nov 8 2015, 10:42:18 PM

I saw the matinee today, which is the third time I've seen "Hamilton" - once at the Public, and once after the Broadway opening. Before I hadn't noticed King George staying downstage after his final number or acting among the ensemble. Is this new? Perhaps I was taking in something on another part of the stage. It was too easy for Rannells to vamp the part by sticking out his tongue petulantly to accent George's brattiness. I preferred Groff Sauce's simmering&nb

Dada Woof Papa Hot previews
 Oct 25 2015, 11:23:30 PM

It's well done if you like the subject. I was bored because regardless of whether or not it's a heterosexual or homosexual couple it brings little that's new to marriage as fetish. These are themes for subscribers, and I'm one of them, but I usually steer clear of this theme because it's overdone. I expected something more from this take on the same story. However, the companion Lincoln Center magazine in the kiosks for a dollar have wonderful and enlighteni

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
 Oct 12 2015, 10:51:17 PM

I want to get a bulldog so I can name him "Hercules Mulligan."

Listening while Swiffering this morning and "What Did I Miss?" came on. II started moving with the swagger Daveed Diggs uses to perform Jefferson and then I thought - wait, this is GEORGE Jefferson's swagger! Can it be?

Anyone know what became of the bronze statues of Hamilton & Burr that were in the lobby of The Public during that run?

The Humans
 Oct 11 2015, 11:11:38 PM

I saw the matinee performance today. If anything, this recalled Odets' writing. This family has done everything by the book yet they are screwed. The only one who has something to look forward to, to live for, is the Trust Funder. This is the middle class in America today. The patriarch is culturally impotent. The matriarch's faith is ridiculed. The daughter's wish to be a composer will be thwarted by the lack of time and opportunity to develop mastery because she needs to work to stay above

Fool For Love Previews
 Sep 20 2015, 09:31:54 PM

Saw it tonight from the front of the balcony. Either Rockwell and Arianda don't have chemistry or it didn't radiate upstairs. I believe it's the former. In the first moments May wraps her arms around Eddie's thigh in an I-can't-quit-you surrender. But as soon as they look at each other and then speak our expectations are disappointed. This cast doesn't gel. The director did a fine job at LCT a few years ago with 4000 Miles, and Arianda is an excellent actor.

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Previews
 Apr 12 2015, 08:20:07 PM

"The show is not only at odds with the film; it's aesthetic is at odds with itself. Brutal violent staging, a palette of black, slate and gray, and vast deep box of a set with no attempt to humanize the characters all compete with poor Lucy Simon's melodies yearning to be heard in the gloom. How love could bloom at all in such a deadly cold world is something somebody involved with this show should have considered before all those staging and design choices were m

THE HEIDI CHRONICLES Previews
 Mar 18 2015, 08:34:15 PM
I attended a preview performance last night. I also saw Brooke Adams as Heidi when she succeeded Joan Allen in the role. Seeing this when I was very young, I was scared by the cautionary tale it told. This was almost 30 years ago before women hit their stride. Heidi's fearfulness that her career would be one more drowned by the patriarchy despite her education, wit, hard work, and humanity was palpable. The context of the times is crucial to remember in order to respect this work. This was befor
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You