News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MarsBars

Member Name: MarsBars
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews  Mar 25 2016, 02:05:37 PM

I tend to agree..but it could easily be Brightman.  His show opened a while ago, and he's since quietly scaled back to 6 performances a week. 

Also don't forget we still have Shuffle Along, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress to open- I assume there will be leading male performances in those shows as well.  The only real locks at this point are Burstein, obviously, and probably Lin-Manuel and Leslie.

Define skin.  Lots of talk about skin, a lot of skin, et

Tuck Everlasting Commercial  Feb 25 2016, 03:46:03 PM

I'm curious why many people keep lumping in American Psycho with Nerds, Disaster and Tuck Everlasting as the main examples of "dead shows walking" this season.  Not saying it will be some huge success but with a generally well-regarded London run, a Tony-caliber creative team and cast, it certainly has a better pedigree than any of those other shows.

My suspicion is that the nominations for Best Musical will be Hamilton, Waitress, American Psycho, and Shuffle Along (I

Fun Home Contracts  Feb 23 2016, 07:11:49 PM

"Singing Steppenwolfian" -

hmm, not too many of those.

Sounds like Sally Murphy to me.

Underrated actress, very right for it, good choice.

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)  Feb 19 2016, 06:01:05 PM

Surprised no one has yet answered my earlier question about if Ahan O'Reilly or Leslie Kritzer get naked.  I ask not for prurient reasons since I won't get to the show anyway, but just out of curiosity, since much as been made historically, here on this site and elsewhere, about how the original two productions in the 70s were two of the first mainstream shows, coming off of the shock factor in Hair and Oh Calcutta, to use nudity in an erotic tasteful and artistic way.

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)  Feb 18 2016, 01:31:05 PM

Please post reviews.  Always been curious about this one.

Will be especially interested to hear if either Ahna O'Reilly or Leslie Kritzer perform the nude scenes for their characters that have been extensively discussed here from previous productions of the show.

HUGHIE Previews  Feb 11 2016, 10:56:27 PM

I hate to say it but it also shouldn't be that hard to learn.  O'Neill is meant to be performed at a deliberate pace (hence his normally longer running times.)  As a result, believe it or not, the published playscript for Hughie is only 17 pages, which I'm pretty sure is less than half the length - and consequent memorization - of faster-paced but similar pieces like Buyer and Cellar or Fully Committed or The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life.  The playing styles

China Doll Previews Thread  Oct 25 2015, 07:59:50 PM

"Aside from An American in Paris, with which I would disagree, those are all shows from a very different Broadway, though."

What do you mean by a very different Broadway?... not picking a fight just genuinely curious. A different style of show than China Doll, a different era, a more forgiving audience, a pre-Internet age?  Even aside from this specific show, and whether it improves or not, I guess I just have to believe in the power of something to get stron

China Doll Previews Thread  Oct 25 2015, 06:57:27 PM

"I think I'll feel weird about reviewing previews when creators really turn a show with essentially bad material or essentially weak staging around during the process. When something is special, it's usually apparent from the start."

Untrue.

Funny Girl in the '60s, The Wiz in the '70s, My One and Only in the '80s, Titanic in the '90s (and let's not forget the Jerry Zaks Guys and Dolls, which went from having poisonously unwatchabl

KING CHARLES III Previews  Oct 11 2015, 04:56:12 PM

Didn't think I was jumping down anyone's throat (maybe that was someone else?).  Was just trying to understand and help clarify if possible. 

(To your point, if you're right I'd assume the original poster would've said something like "Can only make it to New York once in the next year, trying to decide if my trip should be geared around this British import play about the monarchy or these two other very different shows, one a rock musical based on a violent novel and movi

KING CHARLES III Previews  Oct 11 2015, 04:37:15 PM

That makes no sense - King Charles closes in January, American Psycho and Shuffle Along don't even start previews until March, and the first show has literally nothing in common with the other two, so why is it an either/or?  (Unless you're budgeted for only one Broadway show in calendar year 2016?)

Performers that were ill on cast recordings.  Sep 10 2015, 01:12:53 PM

Re: Tyne Daly, if people say that she sounded in the theater like she does on the recording, then they saw her around the time they made the recording (or some other time she was sick).  It was common knowledge that she barely made it through that session, and even in an article covering the recording session (can't find it now or remember where) someone stated "She's clearly indisposed, but she's gonna make it through".

She was never Merman, but the two times I saw the show s

Sutton Foster Possible Broadway Return This Spring?  Sep 8 2015, 03:09:33 PM

<I feel like it's not Whorehouse though >

Except it is.

What do you think it's gonna be, if I'm incorrect?

Sutton Foster Possible Broadway Return This Spring?  Sep 8 2015, 02:42:12 PM

It's Whorehouse.  If there were a (even) bigger star attached for a show that would have to start rehearsals 4 months from now, it would've been locked up and announced ages ago.  But that flyer has been in Broadway programs all spring saying "more information coming soon".  So they're obviously just waiting, whether for theater availability, contract negotiations, or the finalization of the shooting schedule for her TV show.

NY T-29 days and counting...  Sep 8 2015, 12:57:51 PM

The most important question -

was C 301 and 302 for The King and I too close?? (I have those exact same seats in a few months).

Thanks for your help - hope you had a great trip!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You