News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Esther Blodgett

Member Name: Esther Blodgett
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Let’s Get LEGENDS! On Broadway!  Apr 26 2020, 05:32:22 PM

If Carol Channing and Mary Martin couldn't get Legends into town, maybe it is not worth doing. I saw it, and the play is weak.

Loudest gasp you've heard in the theatre  Feb 12 2020, 05:03:30 PM

Deathtrap.

Total agreement.

SLEEPLESS (Sleepless In Seattle) Musical To Open In London In March  Nov 28 2019, 09:55:19 AM

What an uninspired idea for a musical.

A Memorial For Sylvia Miles  Oct 27 2019, 08:17:02 PM

This may or may not have actually happened. Nevertheless...

Waiter to Sylvia Miles: "Would you like anything else? Coffee perhaps."

Sylvia Miles: "Coffee..."

Waiter: "How would you like your coffee?"

Sylvia Miles: "I like my coffee the way I like my men."

Waiter (without missing a beat): "I'm sorry Miss Miles, we don't serve gay coffee."

Musicals that you never tire of...  Oct 26 2019, 11:56:33 AM

A Little Night Music.

Ideally once a year.

Viciously Funny Reviews  Oct 21 2019, 10:39:33 AM

I think it was the early 70s and a revue opened Off-Broadway titled "Smile, Smile, Smile". Clive Barnes', writing in the Times, entire review was "I didn't. I didn't, I didn't."

The show closed in a week.

Where do the Actors on National Tours sleep?  Aug 15 2019, 03:10:23 PM

Of course, the direct answer to your question is, "With each other".

"Thieves" from 1974 - anyone recall this show?  Jul 12 2019, 08:54:43 PM

Oy, talk about in trouble on the road. In addition to losing the leading lady, Thieves said bye-bye to its original director, a man named Michael Bennet (Yes, that Michael Bennett.), and I think Charles Grodin took over. Also lost in the trouble road were the original producers who I cannot remember, but I think Azenberg & Wolsk took over. I've never heard of replacing your producers , but there you have it.

The show limped into town and got mixed but not awful reviews. However

Has anyone tried a YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU musical?  Jul 12 2019, 08:25:05 PM

Damn Double Post..

Has anyone tried a YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU musical?  Jul 12 2019, 08:25:05 PM

One of the basic questions any writer must ask before beginning an adaptation of an existing work is "How can I tell the same story better?" With You Can't Take With You the answer is simple. You can't. The original script is so tight and seamless that any intrusion of song and/or dance would be just that, an intrusion.

Note that I have said "better" and not "different". Adding song and dance does not make the story necessarily better because

Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and "Tea at Five"  Jun 18 2019, 08:23:58 PM

Dunaway is notoriously difficult and is a cautionary tale of how far a star  can fall because of temperment. She hasn't had a decent starring role in a feature since Mommy Dearest. Producers do not want to hire her. I was surprised when this production was announced with her as star. I also thought of it as a disaster in the making. We shall  see.

Broadway Shows without Curtain Call  Apr 21 2019, 01:32:06 PM

20+ years ago, a revised version of The Diary of Anne Frank had no call.

Burn This/Hudson Theatre refunds  Apr 12 2019, 10:46:53 AM

Call the Hudson. That is who will know.

Dolly's Age?  Apr 10 2019, 02:41:48 PM

Dolly is in her 40s. She is often played by actresses who are well north of that however.

The main criticism of Barbra when the film was released was that she was way too young. It was criticism that began when her casting was announced. I also feel that it was justified. Barbra was about 26 when the film was shot. This would make her 19 when she was widowed. What was her age when she married? 12?

Dolly had a long successful marriage that ended with Ephraim's death seven yea

Tootsie controversy  Apr 8 2019, 11:12:28 AM

I think having a tee shirt that reads in large block letters "Friend of Dorothy" is funny. It is also a teaching tool and slightly in your face. I have every intention of buying one and wearing it at my college reunion weekend at the end of May. No one will be surprised.

PS: I am, let's say, 60+.

Winning the  Jun 13 2018, 09:09:43 PM

1970 Best Play: Borstal Boy

Yet "Child's Play" won 5:

Best Actor Fritz Weaver

Featured Actor Ken Howard

Director Joseph Hardy

Scenery +

Lighting (the first year this category was awarded) both won by Jo Mielziner

Go figure.

Coco - OBC Album  Jun 10 2018, 10:40:17 AM

The exchange about Sebastian went:

"Is he homosexual?"

"Oh, he's beyond that."

Also at some point soon after the tour closed Ginger Rodgers did a stock tour (with the original costumes) that played large venues. It did business basically because of her.

NY Daily News on Audience Members Falling at CURSED CHILD  May 16 2018, 08:17:37 PM

On the other hand anything that would cause John Simon and Terry Teachout not to go to the theatre is okay by me.

What Broadway theatre has the biggest stage?  Mar 17 2018, 09:13:47 AM

Of the "old" Broadway houses, I have always read that the largest stage belongs, somewhat oddly, to the Al Hirschfeld.

The Most Thankless Roles in Musical Theatre  Feb 9 2018, 09:49:38 AM

Jeff in Bells Are Ringing

Nick in Funny Girl; Everyone I have met who has done the show agrees Nick Arnstein is the most thankless role in musical theatre.

In some sort of coincidence, both of these roles were originated by Sydney Chaplin.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You