News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mr. Wormwood

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Member Name: Mr. Wormwood
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
 May 22 2024, 05:08:17 PM

I really want Heart of Rock and Roll to stay open so I can see it this summer but I just struggle to see any path forward. It's not like it's climbing slowly but surely or anything like that. It just sadly doesn't seem to be catching on at all.

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 10:44:59 AM

I feel like with the trend of Encores productions transferring these days nothing is off the table.

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies
 May 20 2024, 01:02:45 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "A friend told me I should probably go see this again before next weekend. I hope he’s wrong :("

Ugh I hope so too. I can't make it back to NYC until the summer and would love to see this one.

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 19 2024, 10:19:40 PM

How embarrassing. They had one more chance to erase some of the toxicity and go out on a high note (something along the lines of "thank you to everyone who loved the show and believed in it" etc etc) but instead played the victim one more time. Good riddance to this show. I know it's hard to objectively look at something you are so close to but the creative team would be wise to do some self reflection before embarking on another project.

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 18 2024, 12:36:56 AM

Worst: A Bronx Tale (the musical)
Most Misguided: 2009 Guys & Dolls revival
Most Overrated: The Band's Visit

2023-2024 Broadway Season
 May 17 2024, 07:13:33 PM

stoptheworld38 said: "Does anyone know why the page on here for Suffs lists it as a limited run? I've seen no mention anywhere else (including the show's official website) of that being the case, or an end date if it is? (Which I hope it's not, as it's my top show to see currently and I'm not local and have not yet made specific plans). I looked at BWW pages of a couple other shows from this season and they were listed as open-ended. https://www.broadwayworld.com/shows/Suffs-334736.html"

It's not a limited run, that must be a typo. That being said, if it doesn't win the Tony, I could see it closing up shop by the end of the summer.

2024-2025 Broadway Season
 May 15 2024, 04:48:42 PM

Are the options really dwindling though? Maybe for fall but not for spring. So many current new musicals will probably be gone in time for something else to open Spring 2025

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/12/24
 May 14 2024, 02:41:16 PM

It is not looking good for Back to the Future. The last two weeks are its 3rd and 4th worst weeks of its entire run. Not good for May.

Cabaret - holy cow.

New highs for Hell's Kitchen, Suffs and The Outsiders. Would have been for Illinoise too if they hadn't had to cancel performances. Second highest week for Water For Elephants. Tony noms matter.

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 14 2024, 01:06:20 PM

Me: not everything at Encores needs to transfer to Broadway!

Also Me: can this entire upcoming season of Encores transfer to Broadway??!!

The Historians, the Rape Apologists, and the Bolsheviks: The most absurd lines from Lempicka "critics"
 May 14 2024, 01:04:07 PM

Cool.

Is Cabaret the next Chicago?
 May 12 2024, 05:57:13 PM

It will be lucky to run as long as the original Chicago. It's not coming anywhere close to the run length of the current Chicago or the 98 Cabaret.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24
 May 7 2024, 07:09:58 PM

It was a rough week for a lot of shows but I think the biggest loser of the week has to be Back to the Future. What an anemic gross for mid May with meh attendance and pretty low average ticket prices. I thought for sure this would hold on at least until New Year's but that was based on the belief that the summer would be very kind to it. It might still be but yikes this was a bad week for it.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24
 May 7 2024, 04:15:12 PM

AKarp2013 said: "Am I alone in thinking thatBook of Mormonis finally starting to run out of steam? Nothing detrimental in the least and definitely not enough to close tomorrowbut could there be a chance that its time may be sooner rather than later?

How far in advance would producers announce a closing for a long-runner likeMormon?
"

I do think BOM will be the next very long-runner to close but I would guess another year or so at least.

May 7 2024, 10:52:45 AM

Zeppie2022 said: ""Makes me wonder if it is closing this weekend. I hope not!"

I got a ticket for show next week and thought shows have to give 2 week notice before closing.
"

They don't have to do a two week notice.

May 6 2024, 10:33:26 PM

This show has been on TDF since it started basically but the dates only go through this weekend while others like Water For Elephants and Hadestown have gone into next week and beyond. Makes me wonder if it is closing this weekend. I hope not!

Any luck moving to a closer, empty seat once you’re in the theatre?
 May 4 2024, 09:22:03 PM

I remember being at Something Rotten towards the end of its run and there were a lot of empty mezz seats. On the downbeat of the start of the song, there was this mass movement from the back of the mezz to empty sears closer to the front of the mezz. I've never really seen anything like it before or since.

What's next for the Longacre?
 May 4 2024, 06:13:42 PM

nealb1 said: "CatsNYRevival, yes I know. MJM has posted before about rumors, and is always a good source of theatre information."

If you know the post is from 2019 then your question makes no sense... Six isn't moving.

LEMPICKA closing May 19
 May 3 2024, 08:07:18 AM

For Chavkin, I feel like she does shoulder some blame for this but her body of work has been so strong that she deserves a mulligan. If her Gatsby project goes as poorly then maybe she was more of a flash in the pan than Broadway's next great director.

I think this show thought it was going to be big and important and disruptive but it was just messy. I still hate the discourse that's surrounded the bad reviews and the show's hand in amplifying that completely unnecessary a

Apr 30 2024, 10:44:57 PM

chrishuyen said: "Assuming they have the cash for it (which it sounds like they might?) I'm guessing they'd try to at least run through summer to capitalize on nostalgia and just a feel good musical, though marketing would probably be their biggest hurdle."

They need a better marketing team if they plan to do that. Are the Shucked people available? :)

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
 Apr 30 2024, 10:39:32 PM

UWS10023 said: "How is it decided that a production will not be nominated in a category that has only a few nominations? Examples: Uncle Vanya or the Wiz?"

It's based on the number of eligible shows in each category. So since there were only 6 eligible musical revivals, there would be four nominees (barring a tie).

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You