News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mr. Wormwood

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Member Name: Mr. Wormwood
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 07:09:58 PM

It was a rough week for a lot of shows but I think the biggest loser of the week has to be Back to the Future. What an anemic gross for mid May with meh attendance and pretty low average ticket prices. I thought for sure this would hold on at least until New Year's but that was based on the belief that the summer would be very kind to it. It might still be but yikes this was a bad week for it.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 04:15:12 PM

AKarp2013 said: "Am I alone in thinking thatBook of Mormonis finally starting to run out of steam? Nothing detrimental in the least and definitely not enough to close tomorrowbut could there be a chance that its time may be sooner rather than later?

How far in advance would producers announce a closing for a long-runner likeMormon?
"

I do think BOM will be the next very long-runner to close but I would guess another year or so at least.

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  May 7 2024, 10:52:45 AM

Zeppie2022 said: ""Makes me wonder if it is closing this weekend. I hope not!"

I got a ticket for show next week and thought shows have to give 2 week notice before closing.
"

They don't have to do a two week notice.

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  May 6 2024, 10:33:26 PM

This show has been on TDF since it started basically but the dates only go through this weekend while others like Water For Elephants and Hadestown have gone into next week and beyond. Makes me wonder if it is closing this weekend. I hope not!

Any luck moving to a closer, empty seat once you’re in the theatre?  May 4 2024, 09:22:03 PM

I remember being at Something Rotten towards the end of its run and there were a lot of empty mezz seats. On the downbeat of the start of the song, there was this mass movement from the back of the mezz to empty sears closer to the front of the mezz. I've never really seen anything like it before or since.

What's next for the Longacre?  May 4 2024, 06:13:42 PM

nealb1 said: "CatsNYRevival, yes I know. MJM has posted before about rumors, and is always a good source of theatre information."

If you know the post is from 2019 then your question makes no sense... Six isn't moving.

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 08:07:18 AM

For Chavkin, I feel like she does shoulder some blame for this but her body of work has been so strong that she deserves a mulligan. If her Gatsby project goes as poorly then maybe she was more of a flash in the pan than Broadway's next great director.

I think this show thought it was going to be big and important and disruptive but it was just messy. I still hate the discourse that's surrounded the bad reviews and the show's hand in amplifying that completely unnecessary a

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 30 2024, 10:44:57 PM

chrishuyen said: "Assuming they have the cash for it (which it sounds like they might?) I'm guessing they'd try to at least run through summer to capitalize on nostalgia and just a feel good musical, though marketing would probably be their biggest hurdle."

They need a better marketing team if they plan to do that. Are the Shucked people available? :)

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 10:39:32 PM

UWS10023 said: "How is it decided that a production will not be nominated in a category that has only a few nominations? Examples: Uncle Vanya or the Wiz?"

It's based on the number of eligible shows in each category. So since there were only 6 eligible musical revivals, there would be four nominees (barring a tie).

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  Apr 30 2024, 10:35:25 PM

Yep, The Wiz is the most review-proof/Tony-proof show of the season with Back to the Future a close 2nd. I'm not ready to put Gatsby in that category yet. I think we could see it lose steam quickly.

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  Apr 30 2024, 07:45:42 PM

What year of the Tonys do you think had the best group of Best Musical nominees? From top to bottom so not just one or even two amazing shows but the whole list. For example, I wouldn't include 1957, which had The Music Man & West Side Story but also... Jamaica, New Girl in Town and Oh Captain. Maybe some of y'all know those last three shows better than I do but still.

A few of my "nominees" would be:
1964 (Hello Dolly, Funny Girl, She Loves Me, High Spirits)

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 07:35:42 PM

I hope the Broadway Gods give Chip Zien one more great role before he retires so he can get a Tony nom. Harmony was supposed to be it but then that show fizzled out quickly. Obviously he should have gotten a nomination as The Baker but since then, he's always willing to take supporting roles, replace, etc. He's been such a devoted Broadway worker bee for so long

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 30 2024, 05:42:27 PM

RumTumJM said: "I just saw that Huey is going to be on the Drew Barrymore Show, tomorrow, to promote the musical.

Would they really pull the plug in the next few days, if Huey's still doing press on shows like Drew's? (Not that I'm arguing with everyone's gross data& reasoning for an imminenet closing notice.)
"

If it's going to close this weekend, we'll hear tonight. I don't think that'll happen. I think it'll go at

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  Apr 30 2024, 03:50:59 PM

Anyone have intel on why Sweeney didn't try to keep stunt casting and instead close after Tveit/Foster? Or did they try and couldn't get anyone? It is still crushing it. Feels like it could definitely have run longer. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  Apr 30 2024, 01:15:39 PM

Ouch ouch ouch Lempicka. Heart of Rock and Roll was up but not enough to save it. Hell's Kitchen is looking really good and all the other newbies are hanging in there. I agree Suffs really needs some momentum that the Tonys could provide. 

Six and Book of Mormon have been getting softer lately.

I'm disappointed that Kimberly didn't have a bigger final week.

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  Apr 30 2024, 10:09:17 AM

I think the only shows in immediate danger are Lempicka and Heart of Rock and Roll. I don't expect them to make it to Tonys night but they were already in trouble.

I think The Notebook could be next after that.

Suffs will surely make it to Tony night but I don't know if it'll last through the summer.

Despite the lack of Tony love, I expect Gatsby, BTTF and Tommy to at least run through the summer.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:53:17 AM

It'll be interesting to see if this has any immediate impact on the box office. I could see The Outsiders and Water For Elephants picking up steam in ticket sales for sure. On the flip side, it'll likely be tough sledding for The Notebook. Gatsby, The Wiz and Tommy have been doing well but I wonder if the lack of noms will slow things a bit. I'm guessing The Wiz will be fine.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:22:41 AM

I thought people were overestimating Illinoise.... Some nominators surely had a hard time considering it a musical I would imagine.

Lempicka did better than I thought. 

I thought Merrily would be a juggernaut and get a bunch of design category noms too but that didn't happen.

I was pretty sure Best Musical wasn't happening for Days of Wine and Roses but I'm shocked it didn't get an Orchestrations nom.

So completely shut out were: The Wiz, Harmo

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 08:55:15 AM

Sad for Chip Zien :(

So far going pretty much as expected for me. Nothing really shocking.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 10:24:44 PM

bwaylyric said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "I'm most perplexed by trying to predict Best Book of a Musical. Other than Suffs...I really didn't love ANY book this season. Are we really to understand that Hell's Kitchen is getting a nomination for BOOK?? (The book can be summed up as the main character saying "and then this happened? I felt this way. And then this happened. And it was alright. And then this happened..."). Every single person is predicting i

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You