News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for fellfromthesun

Member Name: fellfromthesun
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Shows with raps
 Jul 28 2009, 02:09:44 PM
"Watcha Wanna Do?" - Bat Boy: The Musical

Someone mentioned "Play Game" from tick, tick...Boom , and they actually added it back in for the production i saw at George Street Playhouse (if my memory serves me correctly)

re: Glory Days to Get Cast Recording
 Jun 18 2009, 03:44:38 PM
Really excited for this, actually. The score has some great songs like "Open Road","Generation Apathy", "Boys", and "Right Here". My biggest problem with the score was the terrible lyrics at points.

Example -
"In 7th Grade, I started saying Chill and Bro, even though it wasn't cold."

:-/

re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
 Jun 4 2009, 02:01:38 PM
The end of the "Sunday In The Park..." Revival when George turns around to the "empty canvas" and puts his hand to his chest and gasps. What a beautiful moment, and so real and powerful.
Esparza vs. Butz
 May 13 2009, 06:05:19 PM
Raul Esparza - 26
Norbert Leo Butz - 24

re: rOcKS @ 'Next to Normal'
 Mar 28 2009, 10:19:50 PM
Yes, definitely. It wasn't unbearable, but fixing the sound issues will only add to how great the show is.
I would've liked to hear the strings more too...they seemed to be very low in the mix of things.

Mar 28 2009, 10:15:34 PM
What was even more touching to me than his acknowledgment of Gabe (which was incredible) was right after Natalie comes in and their dialogue finishes right before "Light". Dan just literally breaks down and sobs in his chair. It was such a moment of truth on that stage and my eyes immediately filled up with tears.

I can't get over how good this show was and how much it's improved from an already stunning show.

Mar 28 2009, 10:06:09 PM
It's definitely still one of (if not my number one) favorite in the show. I just think it's such an amazing song and the extra verses in the NYMF version make it feel "complete" to me. Maybe i just feel it is too good of a song to only last the 2 and a half minutes it does. But hey, as you said, i'm just so happy they added the song back in. After i saw it at Second Stage, i emailed Tom Kitt asking why the song wasn't included and he responded by saying
"The song was a difficult cut to make

Mar 28 2009, 09:51:39 PM
"Are the lyrics of "I've Been" similar to the ones that were in the workshop. (It's on the forbidden site), because the combination of those lyrics, that music, and norber'ts singing made my heart skip a couple of beats, absolutely breathtaking. "

"I've Been" is pretty different from that version. It's trimmed down almost halfway and Gabe has a small vocal part in it. Although i miss the full version from the NYMF days, this version is still one of my favorite moments in the show becase

re: Next to normal First Preview
 Mar 28 2009, 02:17:58 AM
i did laugh out loud at that haha..but she's actually 16 or 17...(i'm pretty sure she's 17)...and i'm not much older than that. So don't make me sound like a pedo! lol. She just seems like a cool person

Mar 28 2009, 01:56:53 AM
Just got home as well...I didn't think i could love this show more than when i saw it at 2nd Stage...but WOW. The revisions made tightened the show up remarkably well. Alice Ripley's voice was spectacular tonight and she continues to leave me in awe. Everyone in this cast is rave-worthy, as they ALL gave 5 star performances. The score is electric, and the staging is tight and brilliant. I will certainly be returning to see this again.

And a P.S - Jenn Damiano is straight up gorgeous. If

Mar 27 2009, 12:46:55 PM
I'll be there tonight as well!
re: Chicago passes Rent in performances
 Mar 24 2009, 03:27:08 PM
That's your opinion. I disagree, but i can respect what your saying. I think Chicago is a great representation on scandal in the Jazz era, and even though Kander and Ebb scores aren't my favorite, i still am aware of how good their scores are. Chicago just never appealed to me.

Some can say Rent is "sophisticated, brilliant theater". I, personally love Rent, but wouldn't say that. Does that mean i'm wrong? No. Does it mean the person that says Rent is sophisticated and brilliant is wrong? Also no.

So while you say Chicago is sophisticated and brilliant, i say it's not. Either way we're both right

re: Chicago passes Rent in performances
 Mar 24 2009, 02:56:50 PM
It's really a shame that every thread on this board i go into to read always has some snarky comment from The Charleston.

So you don't like Rent? Fine, your not the first. But you just HAD to come into this thread about Chicago passing Rent in performances and say "Good". As if Chicago is some piece of brilliant, sophisticated theater. I think Chicago is quite mediocre, but i still have enough respect for theater in general to not make everyone else miserable because i disagree.
<

re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
 Mar 21 2009, 05:07:14 PM
As said, Alice's voice is definitely not for everyone. Hell, it's undeniable that her voice slips under the pitch (mostly due to her vibrato) many times throughout the show, making her sound incredibly messy. But i will say that the first time i saw NTN, i was so soaked in to the character Ripley was, that i overlooked all of those imperfections with her voice.
I also agree with those that said that this particular cast doesn't have the "rock" voices for this score. I feel like for the mos

re: Carrey and Gyllenhaal to Star in Big Screen Damn Yankees; Zadan, Meron
 Feb 27 2009, 06:03:37 PM
I don't believe the problem of "The Majestic" was Carrey and/or his acting. Some people HATED the Majestic, some really liked it. But i don't think your point of "go out and rent the Majestic and see how bad Jim Carrey is" is valid or true at all.
re: Carrey and Gyllenhaal to Star in Big Screen Damn Yankees; Zadan, Meron
 Feb 27 2009, 05:57:20 PM
I'm definitely interested in seeing how this pans out, in a positive way.

Carrey CAN sing well enough for this, and to those of you that are the first to down his acting abilities, go out and rent "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind", THEN try to prove your point. He doesn't always play over the top funny man, it's just what he is most known for. And it all depends on the movie/role/director.

So i say give him and whoever else gets cast in this before you believe it will suc

re: I guess BARE is still happening in SF!
 Feb 16 2009, 09:09:14 PM
there are parts of the NJ bootleg that are not so great. But compared to every other regional/community/college production that has audios or videos, i think the NJ cast did the best job at capturing the passion and emotion of the show.
re: I guess BARE is still happening in SF!
 Feb 16 2009, 08:50:48 PM
i have to agree with the fact that the majority of the studio recording is laughably bad as far as acting. The only two that didn't really bother me were Jenna Leigh and Matt Doyle (although he does have a few EEK moments).
Snyder was atrocious and the "Promise-Once Upon A Time-Cross" segment fails miserably on the recording whereas it should be one of the most powerful.

And to those that say they didn't have a director and other things as an excuse, it is a POP OPERA, therefore

re: Next to Normal- the Arena Stage edition
 Oct 9 2008, 05:45:09 PM
haha i understand where you're coming from...
I don't know WHEN exactly Tom "created" the band version of I've Been, but my guess is at LEAST 3 years ago. And my assumption is that the Feeling Electric lyrics were much too dark for a band to play as a pop song. Copyright issues might also be a reason for this (in the case of record label distribution, etc.)

There are a few reasons why i still don't think the song will be in the new version (unfortunately, because i'll repeat how much i love this damn song)
1. The alternate version that Gavin sings is a bit more repetitive than the old version.
2. The tenderness of "Light In The Dark" fits perfectly in the moment where Dan is basically pleading with Diana to try the ECT therapy. The tone of "I've Been" is almost opposite of LITD, in the sense that its much more driving. I still think it would work brilliantly after Diana's attempted suicide.
And as much as i LOVE LOVE I've Been, the removal of "A Light in The Dark" would not be warranted at that point in the show.

I still just think they should put it back in its original place. But i guess with the new "vision" the show has taken, it is more through the eyes of Diana, rather than Dan. Whereas i felt Feeling Electric was much more through the eyes of Dan.

just my .02

re: Next to Normal- the Arena Stage edition
 Oct 9 2008, 05:19:08 PM
as per the "new" version of "I've Been" -
Gavin is actually singing (for the most part)the arrangement/lyrics of the version of the song that Tom Kitt's band plays in concert and on their CD.

Unfortunately, this probably means that the song still isn't in the show (which is such a shame because it is hands down my favorite song from any version of this show).

I stated a while back on my old username on this forum (i'm back though ) that i emailed mr. kitt about the song and he told me it was taken out because they felt it stopped the flow of the show and that we didn't really need to hear from Dan's character at that point. Shame though, because its such a beautiful song. I was so happy Tom sent me the music to it though!

Hope that clears up the confusion of the differences of the "new" version of the song

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You