News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for observer

observer Profile Photo
Member Name: observer
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: talking to the audience...
 Jul 28 2009, 01:39:30 AM
Practically all of Spamalot is played with the fourth wall down, ex. The Song That Goes Like This; Diva's Lament, "have a drink and a pee, we'll be back for Act 3..." etc.
re: A good show for a small theatre group?!?!
 Nov 2 2007, 02:39:46 AM
The other problem with Little Shop is the plant rental. Can be much more expensive than royalties. But it's the main character after all.

Here's a little video a local (very talented) high school student did that shows the workings of a particularly nice plant suite:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rO6de-hz2R0

re: movies you wish they would make into musicals
 Jul 14 2005, 04:07:14 PM
Along the lines of Batman, Zorro could be a great stage character. Live swordplay is very appealing (puts butts in seats), and is much better on stage than it is in movies. Zorro is an excellent, deep character that hasn't yet been fully exploited by the repackagers of Hollywood, Disney or Broadway (Well, OK, Hollywood made a stab a few years ago). And the character is moved by love, chivalry, and righting wrongs, while he inspires lust in his female costars and hate from the sinisters. What
re: BWW FAQ: I'm new! Help me!
 Jul 14 2005, 03:40:27 PM
Thanks kindly for posting this. Just a suggestion, you might also want to put something in there about the function you are employing-- you can edit your own post to correct those misspellings, rather than posting again.
Slowly working my way up to understudy (but I'm really close, and it's so exciting!)...

re: Most annoying is.....
 Jul 10 2005, 04:31:51 PM
Sardines!
re: INTO THE WOODS - Would it work as an animated feature film?
 Jul 7 2005, 09:37:08 PM
Thank you, Link. Animation does not have to be for kids, and its roots are quite adult. You don't think the likeness of Betty Boop was made for the stroller set, do you? I think Jay Ward actually got it most right-- writing on two levels serves the adults, nad the racy jokes go right over the kids' heads. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and wacth a Rocky and Bullwinkle video. Boris and Natasha incessantly made S&M references, Fearless Leader was a Nazi, etc...
Could

re: Shows with a character named Billy
 Jul 2 2005, 02:38:44 AM
Willie Conklin (Ragtime) - Does that count?
Bill Sykes - (Oliver)

re: Upbeat male/female duets?
 Jun 30 2005, 05:04:31 PM
I Don't Need Anything But You (Annie)
Easy Street could also be done by 2 rather than 3.

Something There from BATB

re: If Disney's The Little Mermaid ever was on stage...
 Jun 30 2005, 02:19:13 PM
I'm guessing they might do the tentacles like Audrey 2's roots in Act 2 of LSOH. Dancers inside connected lycra tubes. But knowing Disney, they're capable of commissionning a robot octopus to be built, with just a head hole for the actress. That may ultimately prove cheaper (in more ways than one).
re: The most catchy broadway song ever...
 Jun 30 2005, 12:48:55 PM
Oh, the Sherman Brothers are responsible for It's a Small World? Shoulda known it. I sometimes "plant" that song on people as mischief. It is so darkly rewarding to hear them humming it later in the day. That tune is enough to keep me from taking the ride at Disneyland, even though there are never any lines, and it is a long slow air conditioned break from stifling heat and crowds.

Funny many mention 76 Trombones, and no one mentions Goodnight My Someone. Same exact tune from the s

re: Justice's Ragtime experience...
 Jun 28 2005, 12:31:11 AM
I'm with you, Gov. Though I did not see this version, I think Coalhouse's lne is more for audience edification than Grandfather's. G would be the right age to have been a Civil War vet, and would seem to have seen it all. And after all, Coalhouse is a guest in a white family's home in 190x; he would likely be more than a little ill at ease and mindful of manners, even if the question seemed troubling. I actually believe it was meant as an icebreaker by Grandfather, and taken as such, though
re: Michael Dale raves for 'Ragtime'
 Jun 24 2005, 12:43:33 AM
Glad you liked the music, takehome. Don't forget Gettin'Ready Rag, Wheels of a Dream, Journey On, Atlantic City...
I do understand your issues with the plot line, but I think they may stem from the fiction mixing with actual people and events. In some ways, the coincidences are small-worldy, but it's not exactly Forrest Gump either. Ultimately it's fiction, and if you think of Tateh as representative of all successful immigrants in the persona of one (and concede that clairvoyance could e

re: The Little Mermaid Musical is Back on Track with New Book
 Jun 23 2005, 02:36:08 PM
Ariel is a character who is experiebncing her first love, almost infatuation. Personally I'd like to see someone more in the 16/17/18 age range play the role. I believe the talent is out there. It would certainly short-circuit the typical Bway dues paying for one actor, as she would almost certainly be getting a huge break, but I believe the character should really look and read "teen" in body, voice, mannerisms and face.
 Jun 22 2005, 07:48:26 PM
Hey DeDee,
Ragtime is my all time favotite show, and I could certainly enjoy it without the car. I do every time I listen to the CD (hundreds of times). But in general, I like sets, props, costumes and other illusions of stagecraft to provide me additional subjects of enjoyment.
Call me a heathen, but I still buy tickets and truly enjoy a production in my shallow simple kind of way.
I am not worthy,
Observer

Jun 22 2005, 01:43:41 AM
There is at least one Model T available. When TheatreWorks of Mountain View was selected to be the first post-Bway regional theater to perform Ragtime, they searched the country and found a rusting unrestored Model T in Kansas, and bought it for a few thousand dollars (I think). They then completely restored it for the show, complete with a golf cart motor and a function that allowed it to be raised and swiveled on the spot. The restoration cost $30K, but it looked so good, and that car seems
re: Jacko as a Bway Character
 Jun 22 2005, 01:33:42 AM
Willie Wonka, perhaps, or Pinocchio's Stromboli?
Rekeying Sheet Music
 Jun 22 2005, 01:19:17 AM
We recently needed to rekey a specific piece of sheet music for an audition to best fit a range (from Eb down to Ab). We thought we were going to have to find someone with the skills AND time to do it, we needed it soon, and were hearing numbers like $50 an hour. Then I went to a sheet music site (not the big one that pops up first in searches) that was equipped with a plug in called Scorch. After installing the plug-in (small), we were able to view the first page of the music, then key it up
 Jun 21 2005, 09:12:13 PM
That's it-- thank you noah!

One more musical character who may be comparably strange to the gloved one- Dr Frank N Furter perhaps?

Jun 21 2005, 07:56:12 PM
Even in the make-believe world of theater, one must think hard to find someone comparably freakish. The gender bending is not so uncommon, the hermit-like retreat and mansion with a river ride of Phantom (+ plastic face!), the pedophilia of... (help me here). I believe Emcee comes closest, but most of you have a better universe of character knowledge than me.
re: SMILE, the Musical
 Jun 21 2005, 07:36:53 PM
It's a good community/ HS theatre choice because there are far more girls parts than boys, reflecting the typical talent pool.

Cute show.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You