Rekeying Sheet Music

observer Profile Photo
observer
#0Rekeying Sheet Music
Posted: 6/22/05 at 1:19am

We recently needed to rekey a specific piece of sheet music for an audition to best fit a range (from Eb down to Ab). We thought we were going to have to find someone with the skills AND time to do it, we needed it soon, and were hearing numbers like $50 an hour. Then I went to a sheet music site (not the big one that pops up first in searches) that was equipped with a plug in called Scorch. After installing the plug-in (small), we were able to view the first page of the music, then key it up or down by half steps (e.g. up an octave, down a perfect fifth, etc). When it was what we wanted, we paid $3.95 (no tax, no shipping), and the site enabled us to print out the entire piece on the spot (or return to print later). I don't want to be accused of shilling on this message board (I have no connection whatsoever in either the site or the program), but I'm here to tell you, this solved a huge problem in an unbelievably cheap and easy way. There are probably many sites offering Scorch, but I stopped at one.

Thought the BWW community might want to know about it-- unless I am just way behind the times in discovering. But I have told many people about it for the first time who usually know about this kind of stuff.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#1re: Rekeying Sheet Music
Posted: 6/22/05 at 2:13am

Yeah...it is a great site. There are actually two of them that I know of that use that system. When I saw the title of your post I thought at first that you were asking where to find a place to transpose music and I was going to suggest one of those sites!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

littlemeatpie
#2re: Rekeying Sheet Music
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:27am

I know about sheetmusicdirect...what's the other site?

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#3re: Rekeying Sheet Music
Posted: 6/22/05 at 8:45am

"Rekeying"? You mean transposing?

Videos