News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for thomaspaine

Member Name: thomaspaine
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Heisenberg tickets for tomorrow night
 Sep 22 2016, 04:50:28 PM

Hi guys,

I have two tickets in Row B for 8 pm tomorrow night 9/23 for Heisenberg with Mary Louise Parker. I can't make it, so I'm just asking face value, $150 each. Let me know if you want them--looks like a great show! Thanks!

Holiday Inn Opening Very Soon
 Sep 15 2016, 04:16:04 PM

The Mammy character is now a white Rosie the Riveter type (played sort of as a lesbian?). Some of the lines haven't been changed toward her character, though, which occasionally is a tiny bit odd. For example, Corbin Bleu says he remembers dancing with a hazy figure from the night before, and she says "It could have been me" and he says "Not THAT figure!" which was I suppose a joke about the original character's weight. This actress is quite thin.

Holiday Inn Previews
 Sep 8 2016, 06:30:56 PM

I was disappointed in this -- like others in the thread, I was hoping for something along the lines of the charm and retro delight of She Loves Me, but Holiday Inn just isn't it. It feels creaky and wooden rather than light and airy. The music just is too old-fashioned to work even in a nostalgic way. The costume design and set design is great, and Corbin Bleu was amazing, though. I actually liked the second act much more than the first because he was in it more prominently and got to add

Cynthia Erivo and Joshua Henry in Last 5 Years!
 Sep 7 2016, 01:45:12 PM

I was literally right there when he tweeted the code and still wasn't able to get tickets. Apparently there were only 28 released.

What show are you surprised hasn't had a Broadway revival?
 Sep 7 2016, 01:43:57 PM

Given Hamilton's success, I'm surprised no one's (publicly, at least) attempting a revival of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. I love that show, and I think it could be reimagined a little showier to be a better fit on Broadway this time around.

White Rabbit Red Rabbit
 Aug 23 2016, 11:57:01 AM

I saw this with Michael Urie last night and was blown away. Unlike anything I've seen in the theater before. I thought it was going to be scary (because of the creepy rabbit logo), but it isn't, thankfully!

Holders of resold tickets denied entry to 'Harry Potter'
 Aug 18 2016, 11:00:24 AM

It was madness for me when I was waiting in line to get into the theater when they *weren't* checking tickets carefully; I can't imagine they have time to check ID for every patron entering the theater. Also it says only about 60 people were turned away, which seems low if they're making ID match the ticket. It's probably that the theater makes a list of tickets they've seen on reseller sites and invalidates them.

Holders of resold tickets denied entry to 'Harry Potter'
 Aug 18 2016, 10:20:27 AM

I'm curious as to how they even know the tickets were resold, if the people going into the theater are holding genuine tickets (that were issued by Nimax or ATG)?

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?
 Aug 1 2016, 11:32:08 PM

I just don't know why you're still arguing it's going to bomb, aaaaaa15. The New York Times theater AND book critics both gave it glowing reviews. The negative ones are basically just critics who never liked the Harry Potter series in the first place. The excitement among fans is totally mounting. I wouldn't be surprised if the next block of tickets is actually harder to get than the first block, since now the US fans will be more active about making a trip over to see the ori

Aug 1 2016, 12:24:45 AM

Agree totally, MinervaMoon. Ben Brantley kind of nailed it when he said that watching the play is like reading one of Rowling's books: the experience is meandering adventure until a mad rush of action to the ending. It feels so much like Rowling, and all the many side plot alleyways off the main drag are so part of the experience of the original books. I think it's set up the next generation for more adventures if/when she wants to write them, too. The two boys are wonderful together.

Jul 31 2016, 10:01:53 PM

Agreed regarding the special effects: they are transformative. People were spellbound, especially by the Part 1 ender. Even knowing intellectually how they must have done some of the effects, it felt in the moment like nothing less than magic.

Jul 31 2016, 09:24:48 AM

Mr Kelly said: "Would people recommend reading the script first, or seeing the play without having done so? (Tickets booked for April, am a huge fan of the book series, not so much the movies) . Thanks "

I would say that if you can avoid spoilers, wait to see the play first, because some of the stagecraft and the reveals are breathtaking. You may not be able to, but you at least don't need to read all of the script and can save yourself a little bit for the

Jul 29 2016, 10:44:26 PM

I mean, I definitely don't think presidential nominees will be quoting Cursed Child the way they're quoting Hamilton, but that's the power of music, like was said above. 

The Grand Paradise
 Jul 29 2016, 10:28:20 PM

I didn't like it. I absolutely loved Sleep No More and    Then She Fell, but I thought Grand Paradise was super boring and sprawling. It just repeated itself over and over and felt totally unmoored from a real or powerful narrative, like with Alice in Wonderland. I was disappointed.

Jul 29 2016, 10:20:05 PM

The only reason the hype isn't as high as Hamilton in its heyday (it's already hit the peak -- resale market has plummeted, cancellation line is approaching normalcy, etc) is because of how respectful people have been about #keepthesecrets. I've wanted to talk about it non stop since seeing it a few weeks ago. Once the script comes out (much like when the album came out for Hamilton), it will hit the mainstream in a huge, huge way. And the cast won't need to do all the talk sh

Jul 27 2016, 02:12:24 PM

I was responding to the curiosity of some of the posts about whether this play is going to be sold out/a big hit when it comes to New York. So yes, I think it must be compared to Hamilton, the current biggest sold-out Broadway hit, in that regard. I'm hardly going to be comparing its possible success metric to American Psycho or Tuck Everlasting.

London is a smaller market for all things culture related: books, music, theater. If it's this much of a hit in London, it will a

Jul 26 2016, 05:30:40 PM

I am a total Potterhead (have been to the Wizarding World in Orlando several times, read all the books and seen the films multiple times, own a full set of Ravenclaw regalia including robes, etc etc etc) and I LOVED the show. I felt like a little kid again watching them do that stagecraft, which was just impeccable. Even intellectually understanding how they did certain tricks, it felt completely like magic. People were gasping and clapping the whole way through.

It will be bigger

City Center Presale Code
 Jul 18 2016, 12:39:42 PM

I was lucky -- number #120 in the queue and got through in about three minutes. Got two tickets in the front row, super excited to see this!

Also, there are still tons of tickets at each level for both nights.

What theatre will
 Jul 10 2016, 08:03:57 PM

Sorry guys, I meant the Palace in London, not in NYC. Their stage is the small but deep one I mentioned. The theater is STUNNING though, and that had to be part of the appeal for putting it on there--intricate detailing on everything and it looks like an extension of Hogwarts.

The Return of Small Mouth Sounds
 Jul 10 2016, 08:00:23 PM

It's really lovely. It's not entirely silent--there is a little dialogue at the start and end of the retreat and the yoga teacher delivers sermons via intercom. I found it easy to follow the story from the actors' impressive facial and body language, and I believe it's most of the original cast. Not sure if they kept the same long hallway-ish staging with the audience on either side, but I felt it was a great way to observe a little bit of all the plot lines going on at o

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You