News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Olivia11

Member Name: Olivia11
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is this a thing? …overly enthusiastic balcony  Mar 28 2023, 11:49:29 PM

Wick3 said: "i think spring break for some schools this week or this past week. I was at Hadestown and half the people there were teenagers/school groups. Lots of energy and excitement for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if that was their first Broadway show."

Yeah, the other show we saw was Hadestown. It wasn’t anything like we experienced the night before. Wicked was obnoxious. 

Is this a thing? …overly enthusiastic balcony  Mar 28 2023, 11:47:08 PM

veronicamae said: 

To compare yourself 35 years ago to 20-somethings of today is not apples to apples - behavior today is different than norms 35, even 10 years ago."

What I was trying to say was that as a regular theater goer for 35 years, I have never been at a show where this happened, including the next night at Hadestown, which was well within the normal range. It seemed very specific to Wicked, hence my question. 

I’ve also

Is this a thing? …overly enthusiastic balcony  Mar 28 2023, 07:02:08 PM

Scarywarhol said: "It's just because the more enthusiastic, passionate, and typically younger part of the audience is not able to afford "premium" seats, e.g. now most of the orchestra and even mezz at many Broadway shows."

Yeah, but that would be true at all shows. I get that some shows have a younger following, so it might happen more at a Wicked, Rent, or Beetlejuice but this seemed extreme. 

…maybe I’m just old.  Then a

Is this a thing? …overly enthusiastic balcony  Mar 28 2023, 04:25:14 PM

ardiem said: "Judging by what I'm seeing, it looks like there is such a thing as an overly enthusiastic poster :)

Ha!  True…I hadn’t posted in awhile and forgot the golden rule not to post from my phone lest risk multiple posts. Luckily, it looks like the mods saved me and deleted the multiples. 

"

Is this a thing? …overly enthusiastic balcony at Wicked  Mar 27 2023, 11:55:43 PM

Ashamed to say that I saw Wicked for the first time this weekend.   I do not mind an enthusiastic audience but the balcony seemed almost organized starting organized loud cheering well before the show started. Once it started, there was almost a Rocky Horror participation style, which felt odd to me. 

it’s possible it was a school group, as it definitely had a teen vibe to it but it felt more “super fans” that had seen the show many times.&nb

Spring BC/EFA Collection Thread  Mar 27 2023, 11:16:36 PM

Hadestown had signed playbills and signed posters but I don’t remember the amounts. 

Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?  Dec 26 2021, 01:37:29 PM

I had the privilege of seeing the immersive production at the Irish Rep in 2016 with Kate Burton and Boyd Gaines.  It was spectacular. 

CNBC Article: Nobody wants to see a Broadway show  Aug 16 2021, 12:38:39 AM

I’m someone who generally travels from the west coast 2-3 times per year, buying higher end tickets in advance and seeing several shows per trip. Sadly, I have no plans to return yet, for one reason only - Covid.

I don’t yet feel comfortable sitting in a theater (or the plane to get there!). It’s not the crime rate (I regularly visited in the 80’s when the murder rate on 42nd street alone should have been a deterrent!). It’s not ticket prices or

Recuperating from Covid and back on BWW  Nov 23 2020, 01:01:01 AM

Best wishes for continuing recovery! How scary for you both. I hope that good rest is on the horizon.

Thank you for also showing why the argument that only a small percentage of those infected actually die so it isn’t a big deal, is completely invalid. There are many facets to this virus that can not be taken lightly.

Your $600 tube of Vaseline hit home as I spent the day wading through claims, including a $99,000 hospital bill for surgery and an overnight stay, wh

Why the hate for moulin rouge  Jul 29 2020, 05:10:20 PM

Why the hate for moulin rouge  Jul 29 2020, 05:08:16 PM
Saw it in November from great seats with everyone in. It’s a gorgeous production with tremendous talent and a fun night.

Unfortunately, the recycled pop music is jarring to me and kept taking me out of the moment. With an original score, I think it would have a better chance of resonating with me.

I remember a beautiful set and some spectacular dancing instead of the show.

What’s the last show you saw on Broadway before its closing?  Jun 6 2020, 02:48:02 AM

Beetlejuice on November 27th as part of a Thanksgiving trip, where we also saw Hadestown and Moulin Rouge. Everyone was in for all three shows, which never happens.

Looking forward to coming back to NYC, but I think it’s going to be 2021, at best.

Broadway to Close?  Mar 29 2020, 03:34:43 PM

It would be helpful if the number of tests per day were released on the same day as number of cases. While I have no doubt the number of cases is truly increasing at an alarming rate, I also think we did not properly account for number of cases in the early days, because tests were not available. It might give some perspective to true growth rates (though no real data exists).

Broadway and the Coronavirus  Mar 14 2020, 06:00:44 PM

Robbie2 said: "Coronavirus Can Live in Patients for Five Weeks After Contagion"

May I ask your source for this?  Not being snarky, but I’ve been looking for this info and I’m curious where it can be found. 

Broadway to Close?  Mar 12 2020, 07:45:04 PM

Miles2Go2 said: "I hope you’ll allow my post that is only tangentially related to the thread. Maybe it gives a broader perspective of what we’re facing. Maybe not.

I had an experience that left me pretty shaken up today. During my lunch hour at my worksite, I was talking to my doctor’s office in the hallway about whether it’s safe to visit my 83 y.o. mom at her nursing on Sunday. Since I’m traveling, I don’t know who I’m encountering and I don’t if I’m symptom-free if that means I’m not infected or just asymptotic (and therefore capable of being a “carrier&rdquo. I also found out I’m not eligible to be tested. The state health department and CDC are only testing those who have traveled to certain countries and are exhibiting symptoms (understandable as the federal government i.e. the White House dropped the ball by not ensuring we had enough tests ready ahead of time to accommodate everyone). Apparently, people in office nearby overheard part of my conversation and reported me to HR, stating I had been exposed and was possibly inflected... I lived through this **** during the AIDS epidemic. The fear, the gossip mongering, the lies. Site coordinator was apologetic. We should be very concerned and be utilizing universal precautions regarding the virus, but this is what happens when people panic. HR guy said if I was lying to him about not being knowingly exposed to an infected person or infected myself, there could be legal ramifications. He was an a$$.

I just got off phone with Oklahoma Health Department. They said my concerns are valid. Incubation period appears (based on available knowledge) to last 2 to 14 days. So I have to use that information to help determine when I could visit her again. I also have another work trip next week (then nothing thankfully until April 12). So no visit this Sunday for sure. I depend on our visits to keep a routine, help keep her oriented (a little) and to lift her spirits (and mine).

"

I’m sorry some idiot reported you to HR, when you are trying to do the right thing. Maybe the a$$hole HR manager should remember that your risking a lot traveling for your company. You deserve better!

Broadway to Close?  Mar 12 2020, 12:06:11 PM

duplicate post

Broadway to Close?  Mar 12 2020, 12:06:11 PM
*IF* theaters close, does NY unemployment insurance kick in? I know in California, you are able to make a claim for temporary work stoppage or even if your hours are just cut. I hope there is a similar safety net, not just for theater employees, but for all.
TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches  Mar 8 2020, 07:22:39 PM

Sutton Ross said: "Haha. Does it make you feel better to bitch about a show you are not attending? Does it make you feel better to know they don't actually care if you buy their tickets? I sure hope so because having you REPEAT and BOLD for EMPHASISpost after post is incredibly annoying.

You gave you opinion, it's clear, so now you can piss off.

"

How lovely. No thank you. 

TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches  Mar 8 2020, 07:12:16 PM

Sutton Ross said: "Thanks Olivia, we got your point 5 posts ago. Don't go to shows with Yondr pouches. Problem solved."

Did that make you feel better?

TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches  Mar 8 2020, 06:58:50 PM

Islander_fan said: "I hate to be “that guy,” but there are dozens of reasons as to why you won’t see these used more frequently on Broadway any time soon. And yes, while Take Me Out would be the first non special event/concert on Broadway to use them, seeing as the show is produced by and in a theatre owned by Second Stage, they don’t have to ask anyone for special permission.

But, that’s non profit theater and it’s being done for a reas

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You