pixeltracker

Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?

Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/25/21 at 10:59pm

We’re coming up on 23 years (My God, how time flies) since one of my favorite musicals came and went. It’s stuck with me all these years and bootleg recordings have solidified if as one of my favorite scores that I always listen to on repeat, especially around this time of year.  

And dear Broadway producers who are reading this thinking “My God that’s a wonderful idea!”, maybe do it with Kate Baldwin or Carmen Cusack as Gretta? 

Thanks, money people. Merry Christmas. 

Updated On: 12/26/21 at 10:59 PM

Olivia11
#2Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 1:37pm

I had the privilege of seeing the immersive production at the Irish Rep in 2016 with Kate Burton and Boyd Gaines.  It was spectacular. 

Updated On: 12/26/21 at 01:37 PM

SouthernCakes
#3Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 1:45pm

You’re like the 10th person to bring this up to me and I want to know so much about this show!! Guess I’ll have to do some YouTubing! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Jordan Catalano
#5Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 2:31pm

The immersive production was so beautiful. Or course it wasn't this musical I mentioned here, but it was a full on experience I hope will come back to the city soon. I won the lottery for that one, so for $25 (or whatever it was), I got to sit next to Kate Burton at dinner and just have the most amazing time. The actors all broke character for that hour so I wasn't sitting next to Gretta but actually Burton, who was a fabulous dinner companion. The way the actors interacted with us "Normals" was something I'll honestly never forget. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 3:41pm

I’d settle for a proper cast album.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#7Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 10:24pm

I saw the original production and despite (or maybe partly because of?) Christopher Walken's complete lack of singing ability, I remember enjoying it a good deal. I can't imagine that a commercial Broadway revival would make a single dime, but maybe Roundabout could do it, or Encores or Manhattan Concert Productions.

Jordan Catalano
#8Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/26/21 at 10:37pm

Oh, there's plenty of A-list 40/50-something actors they could get for Gabriel that would ensure an audience. 

LarryD2
#9Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/29/21 at 1:08pm

My dream production would have Hugh Jackman as Gabriel, Judy Kuhn as Gretta, Victoria Clark as Aunt Julia, Christine Ebersole as Aunt Kate, Lauren Ambrose as Molly Ivors, Steven Boyer as Freddy Malins and Annaleigh Ashford as Mary Jane, among others.

Jordan Catalano
#10Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/29/21 at 2:19pm

Hugh would be wonderful. I’d been thinking more along the lines of a Clive Owen or Colin Firth. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/29/21 at 8:45pm

I remember watching the original a night of December, to a half empty theater. I adored it and wonder if its charm can survive after all this time.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

AEA AGMA SM
#12Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/29/21 at 9:44pm

I remember going to see this a few days into 2000 (and just now realizing that it was still in previews at that point). I was in town for a college theatre department trip where we only had three shows that were part of our 5 day itinerary, so we had a lot of free time otherwise to pick and choose as we pleased. A friend and I were obsessed with Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner because of Side Show, so we chose this for a Saturday matinee while some of the others went to Miss Saigon. It was hauntingly beautiful in its simplicity and I would love to see it done again, though I do agree that it would need to be a limited run by one of the non-profits with a big name star to have any sort of success as a Broadway revival.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/30/21 at 3:21am

Jordan Catalano said: "Hugh would be wonderful. I’d been thinking more along the lines of a Clive Owen or Colin Firth."

Because Clive Owen's previous 2 Broadway shows did so well? :)

I don't see a Broadway revival of this EVER happening. It has no cultural footprint because of the short original run + album situation. Perhaps off-Broadway in a subscription theatre (Irish Rep? 2nd Stage?), or someplace like Greg Mosher's Hunter College company which has done the recent Richard Nelson plays.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#14Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/30/21 at 9:20am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Hugh would be wonderful. I’d been thinking more along the lines of a Clive Owen or Colin Firth."

Because Clive Owen's previous 2 Broadway shows didsowell? :)

I don't see a Broadway revival of this EVER happening. It has no cultural footprint because of the short original run + album situation. Perhaps off-Broadway in a subscription theatre (Irish Rep? 2nd Stage?), or someplace like Greg Mosher's Hunter College company which has done the recent Richard Nelson plays.
"

Also, not every show is ideally suited to Broadway -- as I'd argue the original production proves. The show was an impossible sold out hit at Playwrights Horizons so it was hastily moved to Broadway, where it never found an audience. And unfortunately, since it's not recorded, it's largely forgotten. A shame, since it's one of the best musicals of the last 25 years.

I've always wondered why Irish Rep didn't do a revival, especially since it could be done with just a piano and a few actors playing instruments diegetically. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jordan Catalano
#15Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/30/21 at 10:15am

But also, how lovely would it be for someone like Chita to play Aunt Julia. I’m happy the show is remembered so fondly by others and just want more people to be able to discover it. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16Dear Bway Producers: I Can Has Revival Of JAMES JOYCE’S THE DEAD Next Xmas?
Posted: 12/30/21 at 7:22pm

Sounds perfect for Encores. Rather see this than Into the Woods or Millie. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Posted: 12/30/21 at 8:07pm

Nah. And "I can has" is embarrassing for a grown man to even write. 

Jordan Catalano
Posted: 12/30/21 at 9:55pm

K.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Posted: 12/30/21 at 10:18pm

RippedMan said: "Sounds perfect for Encores. Rather see this than Into the Woods or Millie."

Would much rather see a small intimate approach, like the most recent Off Broadway Sweeney Todd.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Posted: 12/30/21 at 10:27pm

If you go to a James Joyce show and fart in the audience, it is suddenly an immersive production.