Broadway and the Coronavirus

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#1Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:04pm

I have a trip scheduled for next week to come to the city and see as many shows as possible. But as of today, New York is in a state of emergency. How do we think this will affect the city? Since shows in Italy and Texas have been canceled, what are the odds that broadway shows dont perform? Will the subway shut down?

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#2Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:19pm

I too have a trip planned for the week of the 15th. Can't help but wonder what will happen in the coming days. Have shows ever been canceled for something like this in the past?

mcsquared
#3Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:25pm

I'm scheduled to come to NYC for conference at end of month but if it cancels there goes the chance to see some shows too. So holding off on buying tickets for now and expecting there to be more discounts with less crowds but hard to see scenario where shows are cancelled altogether. Seems like the city would fall apart if they shut down subway. 

trpguyy
#4Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:29pm

mcsquared said: "Seems like the city would fall apart if they shut down subway."

that’s putting it mildly. The global economy is dependent on the NYC public transit system. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#5Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:40pm

State of emergency just allows them to get federal funding. Doesn't mean everything is shut down.

They aren't going to cancel anything unless it actually becomes bad, which so far, it hasn't.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#6Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:46pm

State of emergencies are actually a bit more common than you’d think, and the best way to tell how bad something is is the state of the MTA subway. If that shuts down, it’s as bad as it could possibly get.

JSquared2
#7Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 3:51pm

dianamorales said: "I have a trip scheduled for next week to come to the city and see as many shows as possible. But as of today, New York is in a state of emergency. How do we think this will affect the city? Since shows in Italy and Texas have been canceled, what are the odds that broadway shows dont perform? Will the subway shut down?"

Did you really need to start a Seventh thread on the coronavirus??

AlanB3
#8Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 4:17pm

^ this x 100

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#9Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 4:50pm

dianamorales said: "I have a trip scheduled for next week to come to the city and see as many shows as possible. But as of today, New York is in a state of emergency. How do we think this will affect the city? Since shows in Italy and Texas have been canceled, what are the odds that broadway shows dont perform? Will the subway shut down? "

What shows have been canceled in Texas?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 4:59pm

Broadway Joe said: "State of emergency just allows them to get federal funding. Doesn't mean everything is shut down.

They aren't going to cancel anything unless it actually becomes bad, which so far, it hasn't.
"

More and more cases are increasing each and every day here in NYC ...my company sent out an email stating that some businesses are having staff stay home and work as we were told to bring our laptops home each day as of yesterday-Friday. This is just the beginning and it's not going away tomorrow...Broadway and all businesses are now on alert along with major events-sporting, concerts...so we shall see what develops this week and yes if schools here shutdown, businesses and transportation will be next...Broadway, too! Supermarkets today-CRAZYYYYYYY-Trader Joes-Whole Foods and Home Depot... people acting obnoxiously anxious buying up...everything!!!!LOL

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/7/20 at 04:59 PM

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#11Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 4:59pm

SXSW music festival . 

My mind is now racing to the closures of movie theaters....naw

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#12Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:03pm

ATG is the absolute worst.  They won't refund any tickets for people who can't fly into town.  I just lost 1K because the WORST BOX OFFICE on Broadway won't refund my money.   

I know PLAZA SUITE has a healthy advance but <<edited by BWW staff>>.  JBH - I hope you read this and know that ATG is the absolute worst.   I will never buy another ticket at Hudson Theater ever again.  I am out 1K because of <<edited by BWW staff>> in the box office who lacks empathy and humanity.   

Updated On: 3/7/20 at 05:03 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#13Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:05pm

VernonGersch said: "ATG is the absolute worst. They won't refund any tickets for people who can't fly into town. I just lost 1K because the WORST BOX OFFICE on Broadway won't refund my money."

Send Sonia Friedman and email!!!

https://www.soniafriedman.com/about

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/7/20 at 05:05 PM

AlanB3
#14Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:06pm

Encouraging or requiring remote work is a proactive "social distance" strategy, as is eliminating non-essential business travel for the time being. Neither in and of themselves is any cause for alarm.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:08pm

we hoped to come to nyc end of april, but now are going to wait and see before buying tix

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#16Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:28pm

I am so sorry they were so unhelpful.  They certainly do not have good phone etiquette.  If what is going on overseas is any indication.. Broadway is about to go down on its knees.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/7/20 at 05:28 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#17Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:40pm

From Coughing Fits to Closings, Cultural World Girds for Coronavirus

Museums, theaters and concert halls in the United States are steeling themselves for fearful patrons, lighter crowds and possible government shutdowns. BROADWAY Next...?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/arts/covid-19-movies-theaters-concerts-museums.html

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#18Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 5:45pm

Self deleted after second thoughts.

Updated On: 3/7/20 at 05:45 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#19Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:03pm

Robbie2 said: "Broadway Joe said: "State of emergency just allows them to get federal funding. Doesn't mean everything is shut down.

"

More and more cases are increasing each and every day here in NYC ...my company sent out an email stating that some businesses are having staff stay home and work as we were told to bring our laptops home each day as of yesterday-Friday. This is just the beginning and it's not going away tomorrow...Broadway and all businesses are now on alert along with major events-sporting, concerts...so we shall see what develops this week and yes if schools here shutdown, businesses and transportation will be next...Broadway, too! Supermarkets today-CRAZYYYYYYY-Trader Joes-Whole Foods and Home Depot...people acting obnoxiously anxious buying up...everything!!!!LOL
"

Yeah I live here and I'm not worried about. Reading some things online and people's reaction to all of this and watching the news you would think people were dropping dead in the streets.

AllThatJazz2
#20Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:14pm

We have a trip planned for next weekend. As someone said above, declaring a state of emergency allows them to get federal funding and is not an actual indicator they’re about to shut everything down. It seems like theaters are taking proactive measures (hand sanitizers, stopping stage doors and backstage guests). Right now, we are planning on things going forward as scheduled, and we’ll adjust as needed. If things are forcibly shut down, I’m sure theaters will work with patrons as far as refunds or exchanges are concerned.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#21Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:36pm

In San Francisco, the Mayor just shut down any large events (over 50 people) in city-owned buildings for the next two weeks. That includes the SF Ballet, the SF Symphony and at least one small theater. Everyone's nervous. 

Updated On: 3/7/20 at 06:36 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#22Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:54pm

ChairinMain said: "In San Francisco, the Mayor just shut down any large events (over 50 people) in city-owned buildings for the next two weeks. That includes the SF Ballet, the SF Symphony and at least one small theater. Everyone's nervous."

And, a few days ago, Governor Newsom declared a State of Emergency to help prepare for any spread of the virus.

Non sibi sed patriae

mailhandler777
#23Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 7:07pm

I go to NYC every weekend and will continue to do so for the next 2 weekends as I have tickets to shows and concerts. Not worried at all and I'm not about to live in a bubble either.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#24Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 7:14pm

mailhandler777 said: "I go to NYC every weekend and will continue to do so for the next 2 weekends as I have tickets to shows and concerts. Not worried at all and I'm not about to live in a bubble either. "

Good for you honey .  I have two friends in Italy going thru hell right now  and know one of the ill in Westchester.  We don’t know anything .. but it certainly ain’t worth a broadway show to me .  It’s about being careful  and cautious.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

AlanB3
#25Broadway and the Coronavirus
Posted: 3/7/20 at 7:26pm

Nothing is gonna come between me, Russell Tovey, and Laurie Metcalf.

Videos