News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Alex Kulak

Member Name: Alex Kulak
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Why did The Story of My Life fail?
 Aug 6 2016, 09:45:40 PM

Anyone remember The Story of My Life? It was a musical that opened on Broadway in 2009 and closed after only 5 performances. Why did it fail so bad? I mean, it wasn't genius, it left a little to be desired, but it didn't look "5 performances" bad.

Wrong creative team
 Aug 5 2016, 04:07:44 PM

Andrew Lloyd Webber writing the music for Aspects of Love. I think I'd appreciate it more if I couldn't count all the show's melodies on one hand.

What Broadway
 Aug 4 2016, 08:49:23 PM

@jorge

I really like the smaller orchestration used on the Donmar Warehouse recording. It sounds rougher and more visceral.

Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
 Aug 4 2016, 07:53:47 PM

@jo

Not only is Aspects Of Love the worst show. It's the biggest missed opportunity. The idea (various permutations of romantic relationships over many years) is so profound, and he wastes it on 34 year old Michael Ball trying to bone his pubescent cousin. And this is set in like 1960s England. It's not cool, man.

Aug 4 2016, 07:41:21 PM

Worst show. I agree, Cats has some of his better melodies,but the lack of coherency makes it suck.

Aug 4 2016, 07:38:03 PM

at least with Cats, some of the songs are pleasant to listen to. I didn't hear a single interesting melody in Aspects of Love.

Aug 4 2016, 07:30:38 PM

What's the worst musical Andrew Lloyd Webber had a hand in? Excluding Love Never Dies, cause that's too easy. 

For me, it's Aspects of Love. The Score is insipid, the lyrics are garbage, and the second acts concerns a 34 year old man trying to screw his 14 year old cousin.

Next Musical based on a movie?
 Aug 4 2016, 07:16:58 PM

What movie would you like to see adapted into a stage musical? Excluding movies that they themselves were based on other source material.

And For Bonus Points, what established composer would you want to write the score?

Most Demanding Role
 Aug 4 2016, 07:11:23 PM

Pretty much any role in Next to Normal. I've read the score, and even in the first scene, when Henry and Dr. Madden aren't on stage, they are singing backup off stage. Plus the show is essentially sung through.

Best 11 o'clock number?
 Aug 4 2016, 07:06:54 PM

No One is Alone. First musical theatre song to make me cry.

Why did Bonnie & Clyde flop?
 Aug 4 2016, 07:02:49 PM

Of Wildhorn's shows, Bonnie & Clyde is the second best next to Jekyll & Hyde in my opinion. Most of the songs work very well, and Laura and Jeremy do a great job, but like most Wildhorn shows, there's a point where the score gets stopped dead in it's tracks with power ballad after power ballad. On top of that, from the footage I've seen, the staging is *very* poor, like where it feels like there's a hundred people on stage and you can't make out a single face.

The * ideal * Jekyll & Hyde: A discussion
 Aug 4 2016, 06:54:57 PM

I wouldn't necessarily move around the songs, but I would like to see some new arrangements/orchestrations. I love Jekyll and Hyde, it was one of the first musicals I really sank my teeth into, but it has the same problem as all the other Wildhorn shows, being that it drowns out an otherwise nice score with bland pop ballads. Maybe do away with one or two, and reorchestrate it to sound more like something out of the Victorian Era, and make it a little like Hamilton, where the classical an

Your guilty pleasure lyrics
 Aug 4 2016, 06:45:45 PM

Let's be honest, the entirety of Jekyll and Hyde is a guilty pleasure. Especially the David Hasslehoff taping.

Oh lord, he's so majestically awful.

What Broadway
 Aug 4 2016, 06:43:12 PM

Parade

Only the Donmar Warehouse revival, with the new book and extended score.

Most Shocking/Surprising Twist in a Musical? (SPOILERS)
 Aug 4 2016, 06:39:35 PM

Not sure how many people will know this one, but in Ordinary Days, this little Off-Broadway show, a character named Claire has commitment issues throughout the show, having issues with her boyfriend moving in, proposing, during her last song in the show called I'll Be Here, she says she was married before, but her husband had died. I liked it fine, it was a good twist. Then, one night, as I was driving home from work, I put on the album, and I listened aga

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You