pixeltracker

Why did The Story of My Life fail?

Why did The Story of My Life fail?

Alex Kulak
#1Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 9:45pm

Anyone remember The Story of My Life? It was a musical that opened on Broadway in 2009 and closed after only 5 performances. Why did it fail so bad? I mean, it wasn't genius, it left a little to be desired, but it didn't look "5 performances" bad.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 9:55pm

I personally LOVE this show, but I was first exposed to it in a small regional theatre setting, and subsequently the cast album. I cried like a baby when I saw it live, and only continued to fall in love with the show after repeated listens to the score.

Having said all that, I can see why it failed. It was much too small a show for Broadway. I've seen photos and videos from Broadway and they just seem so swallowed up by the rather uninspired set. There was also very little to draw in audiences, particularly the tourist crowds. And, despite my love for it, I fully admit it's a flawed show. I am a bit surprised that it closed as quickly as it did, but not surprised that it failed. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#3Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 10:05pm

I saw this show four times (three times in previews and the final performance) and really enjoyed. It came into town without any fanfare and left with a whisper. There wasn't a lick of advertising and they might have spent all of $10 on the set. Even at the Booth it felt outsized by its surroundings. 

Still, the performances were very good and the score had some nice moments. It's not an inspired score by any means, but a cut above some of the clunkers that have paraded through town since. The Butterfly in particular was a nice moment for Chase off and the final sequence was moving; the It's a Wondeful Life metaphors were labored, but I forgave them as they made me weepy regardless! 

At least it was recorded though- more than we can say for Shuffle Along and American Psycho!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

mamaleh
#4Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 10:08pm

It was a touching, affecting show that definitely belonged in a cozy Off-Broadway theater, although the smallish Booth was about as close to ideal for a B'way venue. 

What I remember most is lots of white set pieces, and a eulogy for a great friend, one who envied the other's home life with a caring father.  Some of the major themes explored the essence of inspiration and creativity, what success means, and friendship.  I also remember fantastic, emotional performances by Will Chase and Malcolm Gets.  I was very glad I caught it during its very brief run.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 10:38pm

I'm surprised it isn't done more regionally. Super easy show to produce. 

Will Chase won me over in it and I've been a huge fan of his since. 

After Eight
#6Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 10:56pm

"it left a little to be desired, but it didn't look "5 performances" bad."

To me, it not only looked five-performances bad, but bad five-performances  bad --- as I've seen good five-performance shows. This was definitely not one of them.

The show was overpoweringly dull, with dreary, lifeless songs. I remember one particularly painful one dealing with a butterfly.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/6/16 at 11:05pm

I hate that I agree with A8, but I found every aspect of this show to be dreadful. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 2:21am

Lord,  I found it insufferable.  I just wanted to run out of the theater screaming. Sadly I was landlocked in the middle of a row and couldn't escape. 90 minutes of my life, which felt twice as long, that I still want back.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#9Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 3:03am

I got a comp to the opening night of this from a very nice fellow poster on the boards and I wish to God I had never gone. Agree with dramamama. Absolutely insufferable. Just schlock for schlock's sake. An embarrassingly bad score, amateurish book, and ugly design. Not even saved by the performances from two otherwise very good actors. No idea how it got to Broadway in the first place, but, for the sake of the producers and talent involved, I wish it had stayed far away.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#10Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 1:36pm

Not only did it fast fail on B'way it failed dismally in a regional Chicago production in 2010-2011 with Jack Noseworthy in one of the leads

perfectliar
#11Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 2:52pm

I love this show as well. I had tickets to see it a few weeks into the run when they announced its closing, and I mostly forgot about it until a local regional theatre did a production with Will Chase's original understudy, Jim Stanek. I saw the production twice and fell for it. My best friend died when I was 13, so I think it hit me harder than it would have had I not experienced such a loss. Looking objectively at the material, it's unimpressive schmaltz. But it gets me in the feels.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#12Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 3:03pm

perfectliar said: "Will Chase's original understudy, Jim Stanek"

I believe Stanek was Malcolm Gets' understudy. Bradley Dean was Will Chase's. I would have loved to see both or either of them in those roles. 

perfectliar
#13Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 3:57pm

JBroadway said: "perfectliar said: "Will Chase's original understudy, Jim Stanek"

I believe Stanek was Malcolm Gets' understudy. Bradley Dean was Will Chase's. I would have loved to see both or either of them in those roles. 

"

You're right. He played Chase's part in this production but had understudied Gets on Broadway.

perfectliar
#14Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 3:57pm

JBroadway said: "perfectliar said: "Will Chase's original understudy, Jim Stanek"

"

You're right. He played Chase's part in this production but had understudied Gets on Broadway.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#15Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 4:19pm

It was insufferably boring.

ggallen Profile Photo
ggallen
#16Why did The Story of My Life fail?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 4:27pm

Jim Stanek did a production of it at 4th Wall Theatre in New Jersey a few years ago. It was actually wonderful in a smaller setting. Photos from that production.  

Videos