News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Andy51

Andy51 Profile Photo
Member Name: Andy51
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

MOTHER PLAY Previews  Apr 21 2024, 10:12:22 PM

Obsidian Shard said: "Pre-show surprise: John Waters is here."

Sarah Paulson was also there tonight. 

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 15 2024, 10:32:54 AM

raddersons said:  While Paulson’s performance is excellent, the writing and directing feels like the real star for this production."

That was exactly my thought when I encouraged my friend (who didn't want to spend the big bucks) to see it this past weekend, when the box office was practically giving tickets away to fill the many empty seats that were refunded and exchanged.  That, and the fact that Tina Benko is a great and very accomplished

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 14 2024, 09:47:42 PM

A friend attended today's matinee, and got a great seat from the box office for $30.  She reports that Benko "was really excellent.  She was carrying a script, looked down maybe eight times throughout the performance, but it still felt very seamless."

(I should add that Benko just joined the cast on Tuesday)

The 76th Tony Awards SNUBS!  Jun 12 2023, 12:54:43 AM

While there is no question that Sean Hayes is giving a very fine performance, I think that every one of the other nominees in the category deserved the award more than him.  My own view is that Corey Hawkins and Stephen McKinley Henderson gave the best performances (and I would have had a hard time choosing between them).

Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR  May 28 2023, 03:24:44 PM

GoldenGiggery said: "Can anyone verify if Oscar sounded like that in real life? I was very confused by the accent/vocal choice from Sean. It went from affectation to slipping into full on camp bizarro world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECEAq1Qrvc

A Dolls House or Fat Ham?  May 4 2023, 12:18:38 AM

C4b2a3b said: "Sit on the left if you can (so that you can see stage right clearly)."  I assume you meant to say sit house right in order to see stage right clearly, since the seats that miss a big moment in this production are in house left.

Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR  Apr 22 2023, 10:50:09 PM

Kad said: "The Tony is all but engraved for Hayes."  

I'm curious whether your view here is grounded primarily in a view about what you predict Tony voters will go for, or whether it is equally based on a view about who merits the award.  I haven't seen Hayes' performance yet and look forward to it, but some of the other contenders for best actor this year gave such phenomenal performances (Wendell Pierce, Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen

Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan in THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW at BAM  Mar 4 2023, 10:25:43 AM

bfreak said: " I feel like Isaac and Brosnahan would be leading contenders for Tony Awards if this was on Broadway."

I agree - particularly with respect to Isaac's performance.  And I would say the same for James McAvoy in Cyrano last year.  Arguably, these BAM productions should be made eligible for Tony awards:  They are in NYC in a space that satisfies the seating capacity requirement and that is largely devoted to theater.  Of course,

LEOPOLDSDTADT Rush?  Jan 13 2023, 04:08:59 PM

I went to the box office this Wednesday at 10am.  There were about ten people ahead of me.  I got a rush ticket, 4th row orchestra, one seat off the right aisle, for the matinee.  Great seat.  I haven't been a fan of some of Stoppard's more recent work, but am very glad to have caught this:  It is a soulful, inspired, poignant, and (unfortunately) timely play.

Sara Bareilles, Christian Borle, Ashley Park, and Heather Headley to Lead Encores Into The Woods  Apr 28 2022, 01:23:06 PM

Jshan05 said: "Man I just finished booking my trip details for NY next weekend and I've been checking the website religiously with no luck. Really hoping a couple tickets pop up so I can catch this INCREDIBLE cast. I'd give my right arm to see Heather as the witch."

There are plenty of seats available on StubHub if you are willing to spend around $400.  I assume you would place a much higher value on your right arm, so from that perspective perhaps it's a bargain

MJ: the musical - Reviews  Feb 2 2022, 10:05:26 AM

While I think that some of the negative reviews make valid and important points, I find them overly constricted in their evaluation of the production. Peter Marks' positive review in the Washington Post best summarizes my own take:

"The show’s decidedly selective memory may be off-putting to theatergoers appalled by the stories of Jackson’s alleged misdeeds. Nevertheless, the creative team’s painstaking work has resulted in a riveting, adrenaline rush of a show, propelled by remarkable dancing and a mesmerizing central performance by Myles Frost as the sleek, soft-spoken pop megastar."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/theater-dance/2022/02/01/mj-michael-jackson-musical/

Draw the wrong moral from a musical  Feb 20 2021, 12:44:43 PM

A Little Night Music:  Take up the cello and attempt suicide if you want to sleep with your virgin stepmother.

A Candid Conversation With Broadway League President Charlotte St. Martin: Future for Broadway.. what will it be like?  Apr 19 2020, 06:10:48 PM

Theater'sBestFriend said:

It's neither weird nor perverse! Consider:If antibodies are shown to confer immunity, why would anyone who doesn'thave them (pending the vaccine or effective therapeutics) ventureinto a public space, possibly placing themselves and others at risk? Why would theyprevent actors, stagehands, audience members etc. whocan safelyget Broadway workingagainin a gradual,step-wise way from doing so?

I think the "perverse incentive

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 10:03:41 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Well that’s what will most probably be done before people can get on an airplane so I’m guessing sitting “near” someone for a couple hours either in a theater or a plane will have some sort of similar guidelines."

Yeah, though for the same reasons I've cited, I don't see plane travel being safe for quite a while either.

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 08:57:07 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve said before when they do open I think temps will be taken upon entry and either every other row in use or some sort of staggered seating will be implemented."

I agree that these would be necessary measures, but I don't think they are sufficient for safely reopening theaters.  Taking temps is of limited probative value, given variations in the symptoms that present (and that in many don't present at all).  And t

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 08:36:33 PM

RWPrincess said: As for Broadway, I do think it will reopen this year with a lot of restrictions for health and social distancing.

And what do you think that would look like?  I mean, 6 feet of distance between persons to one's left, one's right, in front of one, and behind one would entail a whole lot of empty seats.  I don't see there being an approach that is both safe and economically viable before sometime in 2021

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 15 2020, 09:08:54 PM

LA's mayor, Eric Garcetti, is now saying LA may not authorize events involving large gatherings (like concerts, sporting events, and possibly even movie premieres) until 2021:  https://deadline.com/2020/04/l-a-mayor-eric-garcetti-confirms-big-events-may-be-banned-until-2021-1202909414/.   

This seems like a sensible assessment, especially in light of the suggestion made by a number of leading public health experts that it is unlikely that large gatherings can safely resume before Fall 2021.  

Greta Gerwig Coming to Off- BWAY  Jan 24 2020, 06:33:00 PM

raddersons said: "Iconsider Sam Gold's Hamlet with Oscar Isaac to be one of the most thrilling interpretations of a classical work I've ever seen. I was hanging on every word of every actor. After never really seeing a production of Hamlet I've liked (and I've seen many), it really struck me and I felt like I finally -got- it.

I've never actually seen a production ofThe Three Sisters, and I'm soexcited for this one.
"

Gold's

My Name Is Lucy Barton - Reviews  Jan 23 2020, 09:38:22 PM

The BroadwayWorld roundup wasn't updated to include the negative reviews from New York Magazine and The New Yorker.  Here are the links to those reviews:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/theater-review-my-name-is-lucy-barton.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/27/exploring-family-trauma-in-my-name-is-lucy-barton

1/19 Closings/Last Shows  Jan 20 2020, 06:17:16 PM

sm33 said: "I hope someone here was atOklahoma's last show, because I'd love to hear about it!I went to four performances over the course of the run, and would have been at closing if I didn't live on the opposite coast. What a fantastic production."

I snagged a ticket for the last show the day before.  My third time seeing it, and the crowd largely seemed to consist of Oklahoma devotees, with many people wearing merchandise from the pr

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You