News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RENTingFAME

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
Member Name: RENTingFAME
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I'm a junior at NYU, studying theatre in Playwrights Horizons Theatre School and working at Fuerza Bruta. And I don't think life gets much better.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

See What I Wanna See in NYC  Nov 2 2010, 11:27:13 AM
Hey have you guys heard that SWIWS is being produced at NYU? It's going up next week through Tisch and I've heard really good things about it.

More information is available by e-mailing seewhatiwanttosee@gmail.com or check out the event on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123355874387530

I can't wait!

re: Ragtime's January promotion  Dec 27 2009, 11:31:18 AM
My guess is the great offer is due to low ticket sales over all, though perhaps especially in the last couple weeks. When I saw it on the 17th, the house appeared to be full, but I suppose that's dropped off as the weather changed. I'm guessing the producers are just trying to recussitate the audience for the show. Though I think noplain's idea is a good one, if they're going to do the discount anyway.
re: Thoughts on Ragtime 12/22  Dec 26 2009, 06:44:01 PM
Audra McDonald is a goddess. No one I've seen has the vocal prowess she does. I wouldn't blame Umoh for trying to emulate McDonald, though she didn't succeed. And couldn't, since the music needs to be turned up. As I was sitting towards the back of the mezz, I can't really talk about acting ability or actual vocal power not messed up by (lack of) amplification.
re: Thoughts on Ragtime 12/22  Dec 26 2009, 03:58:39 AM
I don't have a problem with things being left to the imagination, I just didn't feel like the director/production team made many interesting choices. I'm generally a fan of minimalism, although this production didn't seem to be able to make up its mind. I liked the glass piano, though I'm not sure what the purpose of it was, and I thought the moving stairs and the topmost platform did a few vaguely interesting things. Also there was a moment when the psyche light in the back was the only light a
re: Thoughts on Ragtime 12/22  Dec 26 2009, 01:29:56 AM
Got to get in on this conversation. I saw it a week ago Thursday, 12/17. Ragtime is one of my favorite shows and I was looking forward to seeing a big Broadway production after seeing a small but incredibly powerful one at the Apollo in Chicago a couple summers ago.

I thought this one had no interesting choices, and as a theatre student learning lighting among other things, I was constantly distracted by the terrible lighting choices. The lights do not have to get brighter at the end of

re: What Musical to See?  Dec 25 2009, 04:45:24 PM
Ragtime is one of my favorite shows and I saw it last week. There's nothing special about the production. The director didn't make interesting choices. The music isn't loud enough to be as powerful as it actually is. Skip that, see Hair. Finnian's Rainbow was fun, but it's fluff. If you manage to get reasonably-priced tickets to Billy Elliot, I'd love to know how. Wouldn't bother with Wicked. It'll be running forever. Chicago is not at all a spectacle, if spectacle is what you're looking for. Se
re: Rent Has Officially Closed  Sep 8 2008, 11:38:36 AM
No, you're seeing correctly. Wilson did have a skirt on. I'm calling it a kilt to preserve any last shred of masculinity... He did have a woman hanging off of him when he walked past everyone with his bodyguard...
re: RENT Load Out  Sep 8 2008, 11:34:14 AM
They're throwing everything out tomorrow, not today.
re: Rent Has Officially Closed  Sep 8 2008, 09:23:05 AM
I still don't understand why Phantom makes the money that it does... why do all the tourists go see it?! But stupidbeans is right about that. It doesn't have the fanbase that RENT does. I dunno about Wicked. I mean I know there are the crazies out there who think it's the greatest show on earth, but I wonder if it speaks to them the way RENT has spoken to a generation. And I'm not saying that to try to sound like a newspaper editorial or something. I was there last night. I heard the stories. It
re: Rent Has Officially Closed  Sep 8 2008, 01:25:18 AM
Dear fanadu, that is what people were bitching about for the last million posts of this thread...

And on that note, could we please stop bitching?

Life Goes On...But I'm gone  Sep 8 2008, 01:18:28 AM
At 9:45 people had not started coming out yet.

And right now I am measuring a last day on Broadway in the 13 RENT related threads on the first page of the board...

re: I JUST DON'T GET IT!  Sep 8 2008, 01:14:19 AM
I counted 12 (13 with this one) threads out of the first 50 that are RENT related...
re: When will they revive 'Rent?'  Sep 7 2008, 07:42:38 PM
That is a completely useless thread name. haha. You wouldn't find this question if you searched it, not from that title, anyway.

And how about they revive it tomorrow, and pretend they never started all this closing business? Let's call that a rumor.

And it is not too period; neither is ACL, in my opinion.

re: What do you think the next show to close will be?  Sep 7 2008, 06:58:02 PM
frontrowcentre2, I know someone in the show and Spring Awakening is not guaranteed anything at this point. They're up for review later this fall and if it doesn't go well they could close as early as January. Not that I'm hoping for that, of course. I thought the show was wonderful.
re: RENT Lotto... I won!!!  Sep 7 2008, 06:46:28 PM
Yeah they had one of those like bullhorn things or whatever they are... which actually made it harder to understand. But there were several people so they would say the name and then it would get said loudly by each of the people, standing at a different place down the street so that the entire crowd/line/linecrowd could hear it.
I Die Without You  Sep 7 2008, 04:51:07 PM
Ditto that, stupidbeans.
re: RENT Lotto... I won!!!  Sep 7 2008, 04:18:47 PM
I might go up and sit outside. You can kinda hear it if you sit by the doors. You can look for me; I'll be the one staring longingly at everyone going inside.
re: who else listening to RENT today?  Sep 7 2008, 04:16:35 PM
As soon as I got back from the lotto I listened to the whole OBC recording straight through. And I'll probably listen to it again tonight, if I don't go sit outside the theatre.
I Die Without You  Sep 7 2008, 04:03:45 PM
I might have to go to the Nederlander tomorrow and just sit outside in the relative silence.
re: RENT Lotto... I won!!!  Sep 7 2008, 03:52:00 PM
I was there. I didn't win. And I did cry.

Still working on being happy for the winners. Sorry. I mean, I'm happy for you, of course. But that's being overwhelmed by my disappointment and sadness.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You