News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for darquegk

darquegk Profile Photo
Member Name: darquegk
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Pittsburgh-based lyricist, librettist, composer and journalist.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 8 2024, 04:39:39 PM

How do the songs compare to both the musical inventiveness and overall zaniness of Julia's work with Advent Carolndar?

FLAHOOLEY Revival?  May 1 2024, 09:14:57 PM

If I recall the "uncensored" book that's been used in revivals, it's an extended satire of the Red Scare with some comical anti-Russian sentiment. Lots of pointed jokes about American mob mentality, etc, which is very pertinent today.

But I'm not sure well the silly genie and Orientalist elements would play today.

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 02:12:28 PM

It's worth mentioning along with the "Send in the Clowns" story: arguably the greatest and most popular male singer of the twentieth century, Frank Sinatra, had a rather small, weak voice and a limited range, once he lost his boyish falsetto. He didn't have much of an instrument, technically speaking, but you'll never hear anyone say Sinatra was a **** singer, because he knew how to use what he had, and how to interpret a song to suit his own vocal stylings better than a

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  Apr 30 2024, 12:08:37 PM

Outsiders is building a fanbase, but it's a young fanbase. Hasn't it historically been the case that musicals that appeal to youth audiences in particular do worse, because they're being consumed as mass media and not as tickets sold? Or did "Six" prove that theory wrong?

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 10:45:11 PM

https://youtu.be/ZEW2wn2HcIo?si=QecyZd8SynLGwH7X

Shows that were considerably changed after their Broadway run  Apr 22 2024, 07:49:49 AM

Smile was completely retooled from the campy Broadway version into a darker and more introspective piece prior to licensing.

THE WIZ Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 19 2024, 06:55:48 PM

The Wiz is a show that seems to thrive when it has a hook. Geoffrey Holder’s original staging was an allegorical journey through the mirror of cultural blackness, with Oz treated as a winking embrace/refutation of the “mother Africa” cultural movement at the time. The film, different as it was, at least found its own hook as a very seventies blaxploitation fairy tale: Alice in Wonderland by way of The Warriors. 

Everything I’ve seen of this

Cabaret stunt casting  Apr 13 2024, 03:57:18 PM

I always wanted to see what Bo Burnham would do as the Emcee, but I’m not sure this is the production for that… nor do I think he’d be comfortable doing live theatre.

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago  Apr 10 2024, 10:23:00 AM

How much is this revival cut down or rewritten from the four-hour original?

Shows with Ghost writers  Apr 9 2024, 05:24:14 PM

Martin Short and I believe his agent were ghostwriters on the revised Little Me from 1998. Part of their goal was to make it not only tailored to Martin and Faith Prince, but to design an actable, stripped-back version of the show a la the recent success of Chicago. Much of the original Little Me libretto involved passages like "Sid does something funny" or "double-talk bit." The 1998 version intended, barring any improv from the actors, to have the whole show on paper as

John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock  Apr 2 2024, 12:58:10 PM

When I was a kid, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' 1990s song "Nevermind Me" suggested that if someone mugs you and you walk away alive, and not completely destitute, you were probably NOT the real victim in that altercation. Painfully naive? Probably. Well intentioned? I'm willing to say yes. But it's at least proof that "vagrants are not villains" is NOT some new zoomer-era philosophy. 

A Goth Jukebox Musical  Mar 30 2024, 08:33:06 AM

The Craft, which played Vegas, was a goth and eighties-nineties alternative jukebox musical. It was fun, sexy, eerie and full of energy. 

That same company is having a much bigger success now with the more overtly campy Scream’d.

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?  Mar 27 2024, 06:40:47 PM

There’s a strong argument for Tim Rice, as one of the pivotal lyricists of the British musical invasion, the mega musical era, AND the Disney on Broadway industrial complex. With and without Andrew Lloyd Webber, Rice has four consecutive decades of writing for big, culturally relevant musicals. Beyond Sondheim, how many can say that? 

What's The Next Mamma Mia?!  Mar 22 2024, 04:23:11 PM

The next one to be as big as Mamma Mia is inevitable but hard to pinpoint. ABBA wasn’t as universally loved when Mamma Mia opened as they are today; there was an element of guilty pleasure kitsch to them that has since been reassessed. But the songs were good and the “you’re at a party” atmosphere of the show helped sell it. 

The next jukebox sensation at that level will one to have either an even more beloved artist, an even more joyfully

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 22 2024, 04:20:01 PM

Even the 1940s update from the stage show and the movie was a revision; the original album and concert tour were set in the years between the two world wars. And it made even less sense that way!

Bring Ryan Gosling to Broadway now!!  Mar 11 2024, 08:35:53 PM

Ryan Gosling has the mix of unconventional charm with inscrutable blankness that makes a good Bobby in Company.

Patti Lupone Takes Over TV  Mar 9 2024, 12:23:58 AM

She was incredible, and genuinely chilling, in Beau Is Afraid. One of the greatest pure villain performances in a genre film in ages. Like a praying mantis, she was all cold sex and malice.

The LES MIS movie is much better than I remembered (2024 re-release)  Feb 28 2024, 07:58:36 AM

Cohen puts on a French accent when he is fleecing guests at the inn, but drops it when he’s with his own people. The implication is that “Thenardier the French innkeeper” is just another of the personas he has put on over the years, not his true identity. (Which, if I recall, was implied in the book as well.)

Stage adaptation of 2018 A STAR IS BORN from Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga in the works?  Feb 27 2024, 12:55:31 PM

This sounds like the psychological horror comic “Love Everlasting,” which is like Westworld for romance tropes instead of cyberpunk.

The LES MIS movie is much better than I remembered (2024 re-release)  Feb 26 2024, 11:49:36 PM

Crowe absolutely plays Javert as a misguided and somewhat broken weirdo. It’s refreshing when compared to the hyper competent force of nature he appears to be in the stage show. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You