News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for darquegk

darquegk Profile Photo
Member Name: darquegk
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Pittsburgh-based lyricist, librettist, composer and journalist.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Spring awakening is cooked
 Jun 21 2024, 09:57:34 AM

The Duncan Sheik “solo version” demo album has had only a few tracks released officially, but it’s better than the Broadway cast recording. You can find the whole thing on YouTube; it’s a favorite album of mine.

Tony Award Viewership Decline Over the Years
 Jun 18 2024, 01:05:04 PM
It strikes me that the answer to this question is increasingly becoming, "who cares about the Tonys as a media event?" Until about 2012, it used to be that if you wanted to see Broadway theatre but you weren't in NYC, there were two days a year you could do it: the Macy's Day Parade, and the Tony Awards. But this exposure drought was mostly due to the old guard media's reluctance to embrace new media, streaming and video on demand. Around that point, YouTube and social media marketing began high
NY Times Today Editorial on
 Jun 17 2024, 01:44:02 PM
Part of me, the cynical/paranoid part, thinks this discussion isn't REALLY about a "black reimagining" of the Broadway musical Gypsy. Everywhere on social media, I've been seeing the uneasy racial detente between Black and Jewish Americans starting to come apart at the seams.

The limited success of Black Lives Matter to actually institute change, and then the Israel/Palestine war, are both completely legitimate issues and grievances on a sociopolitical level. But they've both been weapo

ALW has completed his next musical
 Jun 10 2024, 01:07:49 PM

If it's Sherlock Holmes, he fills a century-old gap in "definitive stage Sherlock Holmes show..." as long as the show is at least mediocre if not good or great. 

I have a feeling we're about to see a definitive stage Dracula shortly, because the still-popular Balderston/Deane version is public domain, and next year their revised script for the film version is public domain as well. The one knock against the stage show has always been that the film's Act 1 in

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
 Jun 8 2024, 09:37:51 PM

If they said “pick someone interesting but not A list,” I’d say cabaret host PJ Adzima. He was in my Off-Bway show in 2016.

Reefer Madness Hollywood
 Jun 8 2024, 08:50:22 PM

As soon as the movie was released, they created a new licensing version incorporating the best of LA, NY and the movie. I was in the show in 2008 at a community theatre and they had added in Mary Jane/Mary Lane by then, as well as the salsa dance in “Five and Dime.”

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
 Jun 8 2024, 08:48:49 PM

Interesting that Gollum isn’t listed. I wonder if that’s the “special guest performer” role that will have some larger industry clout.

Ivo Van Hove to direct stage adaptation of The Shining
 Jun 7 2024, 11:03:16 PM

One thing about Sandler is that he’s nothing like Nicholson but he talks with similar rhythms. Tell me you can’t hear Sandler’s slightly mush-mouthed New York drawl fitting the film’s dialogue like a glove. 

Reefer Madness Hollywood
 Jun 7 2024, 10:53:08 PM

Did anyone see this one yet? I’m really curious about the song list, because it’s fluctuated so much over the last three decades. Plus I think there are new songs in this version, but it’s cut to a ninety-minute one act apparently?

HELLO, I'M DOLLY bio-musical headed for the stage!
 Jun 7 2024, 06:36:52 PM

Jimmy Stewart played ages 15 to 40 with neither makeup nor acting changes, just different sweaters in “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Why Aren't Theatre History Classes Mandatory for High Schools?
 Jun 6 2024, 12:33:47 PM

Your average honor student will have read Shakespeare, Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams in school. If you’re from Pennsylvania or a  historically black demographic, add August Wilson. That’s better than nothing. 

Reefer Madness Hollywood
 May 31 2024, 05:32:09 PM

Did anyone make it to opening night of the revised Reefer Madness in Hollywood? I'm really curious to hear about it since that show was one of my first proper fandoms.

FOXY BROWN musical in the works
 May 30 2024, 01:10:59 PM

When I was in high school, I bought a dollar-bin triple-disc compilation called "Superbad! The Best of Blaxploitation." It was a collection of theme songs and soundtrack cuts from the Blaxploitation and Blaxploitation-adjacent films and TV shows of the late sixties and seventies, and it was GLORIOUS. (The playlist is up on Spotify, definitely check it out.)

I fell in love with the sound of grimy funk, jazz fusion and black singer-songwriter material of the era. Which leaves m

THE OUTSIDERS to release cast album on May 22
 May 22 2024, 11:51:27 AM

MrsSallyAdams said: "The album's very samey on a first listen. It's got the same "wailing ballads over soft guitars" vibe asWater for Elephants. It seems that Dallas gets the most active songs as he's making concrete choices in each of them. While Ponyboy stays in "I Am a Camera" mode for much of it.I can see why some fans ship Ponyboy and Johnny when they harmonize about sharing a "love that few have known." It's hard to transla

Is
 May 22 2024, 09:03:45 AM

I’ve heard shows like that called “geezer pleasers” or “blue-hair shows,” as in “we can’t program this season of new and challenging works without adding at least one blue-hair show to appease the people who actually fund us.”

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 01:04:47 PM

The 2022 licensing edition cuts the whole "Chinamen" plot from top to bottom. First, Ching and Chong/Luke and John are replaced by Spit and Dippy, two scrappy little kids from Boy's Town. Second, Evelyn loses his virginity to an actress who was filming scenes on his estate. Finally, the disguise sequence at the end involves Billy and Moonface disguised as movie producers, with Reno as their pregnant leading lady.

Are the rewrites good? Not really, but at least they've

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 12:10:39 PM

I sort of wonder if Mame is still as "necessary" as it once felt. I hope this doesn't come across as pandering or condescending, but I always suspected that Mame is a product of its time as a dual gay wish fulfillment show: the warm, accepting and encouraging parental figure to a "sensitive little boy," and also the grand flamboyant diva so many men (then and now) wished to be.

In an age of gay rights, gay liberation and gay visibility, does Mame stand on its ow

Kritzer will perform Lady Of The Lake “Farewell Tour” at Joe’s Pub
 May 10 2024, 07:08:11 PM

Reminds me of Christmas Eve with Christmas Eve.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 9 2024, 11:10:51 PM

They took out “sordid topic of coin?” That’s an iconic line! I may not be one of The Gays but I was a truly devoted Tales from the Crypt and B-horror kid in general, so I know this one back to front. 

As far as the clams line that didn’t land, “clams” is a Julia Mattisson thing. It’s a recurring nonsensical insertion in the Advent Carolndar series, and I wonder if it was a tip of the hat to that, which didn’t play. Appare

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 8 2024, 04:39:39 PM

How do the songs compare to both the musical inventiveness and overall zaniness of Julia's work with Advent Carolndar?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You