News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mystic Pasta

Mystic Pasta Profile Photo
Member Name: Mystic Pasta
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

David Bowie RIP
 Jan 11 2016, 08:11:53 AM

Will Lazarus extend given this horrible news.  I am so sad.

Next up at the Longacre
 Jan 11 2016, 07:59:49 AM

I don't know what is next for the Longacre, but I saw Nerds at 54 Below last year and can share my report.  The lyrics are hilarious.  It's How To Succeed for Silicon Valley.  The score is really strong and the book scenes they did had the audience roaring.  I loved the show and I do not like anything.  

BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
 Dec 15 2015, 08:44:30 AM

I saw the show and love going to the Kennedy Center.  The show is a really well done production of a non-exciting story.  It doesn't cover any new ground and the music all sounds the same.  It could have been written in 1975.  The band is excellent but after 40 minutes all of the score blended together.  I think the show would work better as one act in 90 minutes.  It is very folksy and moves like syrup.    I love Steve Martin but wish he would have

GIGANTIC?
 Nov 14 2015, 01:21:59 PM

I saw the show last night night through TDF.  It was sold out and the audience was laughing loudly for the entire evening.  Seems like more laughs than any comedy I have seen in a long time.  The young cast is incredible.  So many interesting performers that I had not seen in NYC before.  A lot of talent on the stage.  Ryan Raymond, Leslie Kritzer, Max Wilcox and Taylor Louderman all delver fantastic comedic performances.  I think this show has is

New Bobby and Kristen Lopez Muical UP HERE at La Jolla Playhouse
 Aug 5 2015, 06:23:04 PM

I had an opportunity to see last night's show and I enjoyed it a lot more than the audience, which was on the quiet side.   Maybe they are tired from the summer or maybe audiences expect a finished show for an out of town tryout.  The production is not ready for Broadway but you can tell there is a great idea in there.  I was expecting the score to be stronger.  There are two show stopping numbers and the book needs work, but that is why the creative team is there.  B

BRIGHT STAR coming to Broadway
 Jun 16 2015, 12:13:16 PM

I had a chance to see this at the Old Globe.  I thought the entire premise would have been better served as a play.  There are lot of beautiful songs but the songs don't move the book forward.  The score basically repeats what happens in a book scene but in a singing form.  Tedious and overwrought is how I would describe Bright Star.  It has flickers of charm but mostly you want it to wrap up more quickly.  It reminded me of Ghost Brothers of Darkland C

Gigi Revival on Good Morning America
 Mar 12 2015, 09:40:22 AM
This GMA clip was fantastic. I was not interested in seeing GiGi but now I want to. Josh and the director did a fantastic job for staging for TV. It will play great on the Tony Awards if they get a nomination. I also thought the scenic elements for morning TV were really well conceived. It was one of the best morning show segments featuring a Broadway cast I have seen in years.
One Day - Off Broadway
 Feb 10 2015, 02:45:01 PM
I saw it. Very powerful and moving. Lisa Kudrow was in the audience. Worth seeing and will be curious what changes they make during previews. Reminds me of Spring Awakening.
Next for the Neil Simon
 Jan 7 2015, 03:24:26 PM
Never saw High School Musical. I know Zac from his role as Link Larkin in Hairspray. He was good in that. Maybe it's time for a Hairspray revival. I couldn't tell you what Vanessa Hudgens looks like until I just googled her and still didn't recognize her face.

Next for the Neil Simon
 Jan 7 2015, 08:48:06 AM
Gigi played on Broadway 40 years ago for 3 months and then closed. It was not well received and felt dated at the time. I have only seen a regional production but the book is flimsy and not at the level of Brigadoon or My Fair Lady. There is a reason it is Lerner & Lowe's least popular show. Also, with The King and I playing at the same time, I would think audiences would prefer to see that or see an original musical like American in Paris. I have never heard of Vanessa Hudgens but I do kno
What's going go into the St. James
 Dec 12 2014, 07:38:47 AM
A new musical called Something Rotten with Christian Borle and Beth Leavel. Same producers as The Last Ship. They must sense that Sting will be playing his final performance and that show will set sail without Tony nominations on board. Christian Borle and Matt Morrison will go head to head for a Tony win.
Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
 Dec 1 2014, 11:59:56 PM
Oncemorewithfeeling captures my same sentiment. I saw the show at Paper Mill and thought they did an excellent job for putting it on it's feet for the first time. But, what has happened in the past year? It seems to have lost it's way. What was charming last year is now annoying. (ie Tony Danza ad libs, Nancy Opel chewing up the scenery) And, the staging seems to be less inventive and clunky. The producers decided to have such a long preview period, but I think with their low grosses they
re: Little Iain reviews Side Show Nov. 1 matinee!
 Nov 2 2014, 05:30:38 PM
Up, you are a really good reviewer. I agree with all your comments. I had the chance to see the show last night. It was a perfect evening of theater. Very polished production elements. The Kennedy Center out of town tryout gave the cast a chance to be comfortable in the roles. Emily and Erin are transcendent. Their performances are haunting and beautiful at the same time. I hope the Tony awards recognize them as one actor. Don't see how you could nominate one and not the other. But, th
IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU To Open On Broadway In March
 Nov 1 2014, 08:05:11 AM
I agree with Up. When I saw this three years ago I thought it was already dated material but cute. Reminded me of watching a rerun of Three's Company. Same tired laugh lines and a gentleness that can be cloying after 30 minutes. At least Three's Company on tv is free. I would not want to pay $89 to sit through this again. This felt like a really well done NYMF show with an unlimited set budget and the director's famous friends stopped by to do a favor.
The Last Ship Lasting
 Oct 31 2014, 07:41:15 PM
How can they expect to stay open 30 weeks from now to appear on the Tonys? It seems like basic math that their reserve will run out around Xmas. I think the key art is the least of this show's problems. Brian Yorkey was smart to run away from this sinking ship.
Disgraced Previews
 Oct 4 2014, 02:24:09 PM
I admit to preferring to see a musical anytime over a play. But, my friend had an extra ticket and we both loved the show. We sat in the balcony in the 3rd row on the side and had no issues seeing anything. It felt intimate and we could hear every word. I didn't know anything about this story or that it won a Pulitzer. All I knew it had Josh Radnor. Josh did a fantastic job and the other stand out was Karen Pitman. For a show set in Manhattan in 2014, the author nailed the way people real
The Last Ship Previews
 Oct 4 2014, 10:36:19 AM
I really wanted to like this show. Sting is one of my favorite musicians. But, apart from the set, I didn't enjoy the book or music. The ensemble felt like they were frequently screaming and stomping or told to sing like they are drunk. I am a fan of dark musicals (Carousel, Sweeney Tood have been mentioned) but those dark shows have some moments of soaring melodies and beautiful songs. Could it be there is too much canned testosterone on one stage for this to be a successful show? It felt
BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS Coming to Broadway; Rob Ashford to Direct!
 Aug 8 2014, 10:58:52 AM
I agree this is a horrible idea. Why take up space with a cheesy, very dated revival when there could be room for a beautiful new original musical? If we are going to keep American Musical Theater alive, we need to see more than revivals being brought to Broadway in 2015. I'l admit that I do not like Sassy Madame characters in any show. So, maybe I am biased. I suspect this press release is a tactic to raise money from investors and the project will go away like Rebecca or Pump Boys on Bro
Hedwig's future
 Jul 28 2014, 05:06:17 PM
I have no interest in seeing Andrew Rannels but am hoping they will bring back John Cameron Mitchell. Then I will buy a ticket. Andrew is too pretty to care much about his story..JCM would be exciting and more real.
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS to Open on Broadway This Fall
 Jul 28 2014, 04:47:42 PM
Seems like the producers are smart and taking a cue from Bullets over Broadway and opening in a theater that is not hard to make look full on a slow weeknight. I saw the show at Paper Mill and was surprised the Times liked it as much as they did. Charles Isherwood would likely have not been so cheerful.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You