News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Kris2

Kris2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Kris2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Schoenberg loves riffing
 Oct 4 2005, 07:50:17 PM
Rather dramatically, [Schonberg] says that as long as he is alive, he wants to see the singers deliver the scores in the way they were written. A little ad-libbing or deviation from the direction is défendu. However, this doesn't mean that the shows are set in concrete. The more canny performers still find a way to add their own flourishes. "I am always amazed by some of the performers," says Schönberg. "I am always very excited when I see young talent rising and adding something to the score
re: Model Soldier or Civilian?
 May 11 2005, 04:32:55 AM
Personally I prefer Model Prisoner. With Civilian, Adam is definitely on the right track in terms of developing his sound. However, I prefer MP. It took some getting used to with it's almost folk rock (almost countryish at times) sound, but after a couple of spins it really grew on me. I listened to Civilian and just didn't get hooked (I should probably give it another listen).

I like how his sound has evolved but I felt like Civilian was over produced and over orchestrated, neither o

re: Musical Made of Rap
 May 7 2005, 03:24:17 PM
I'm surprised so many people are against this idea actually. I guess it's too contemporary for some. I'd be really interested in seeing it. A rap/hip-hop musical could seriously work. It's very cutting edge but it needs the same elements as any other good musical to make it work - a solid book, music, and lyrics. I didn't even know there was a Hip Hop Theatre Festival. Cool.

Rap isn't all about pimping, guns, drugs and sex. A lot of that kind of rap is just for show and partying. It's

re: Altar Boyz-
 May 6 2005, 11:50:14 AM
[Scott] really reminds me of Brian from Backstreet.

Um. Brian is my favorite Backstreet Boy. You definitely picked the most awesome comparison possible. That made my day. It would be freaking amazing if they actually came to the CD signing and had a mini battle of the bands or something.

I heard Tyler was feeling sort of crappy last week. Guess it's carrying over to this one. Poor guy. Hope he's not having vocal problems and it's just a minor cold or something. He's a tr

re: Shoshana 05.05.05
 May 6 2005, 11:36:30 AM
i think its interesting that you only talk about her vocal performance. Did she act at all in the show or was it just vocal aerobics? I personally can't wait for Eden to come back.

Eden acts? Guess you learn something new every day.

re: Altar Boyz-
 May 6 2005, 10:46:26 AM
Naked men are nice. Unfortunately I missed Caligula, but I did catch All Good Things at the Fringe Festival (NOT one of the better jukebox shows) and I got to watch Ryan Link run around butt naked on stage in the basement of a church, Our Lady of Pompeii I believe. It was a nice view. Good times.

That was off topic, so yes. Those Altar Boyz are fun. I want to see the changes they've made from the NYMF. Nothing too drastic I think. Scott seems like he'd be a great Matthew. /ramble

re: Ty Giordano fans: 'A Lot Like Love' opens 4/22
 Apr 21 2005, 04:37:14 PM
I'm not an Ashton Kutcher fan, but I'd go see it for Ty. I loved him in Big River. Aw.
re: Asians in the theatre
 Mar 31 2005, 01:06:36 AM
Wow Dreamcatcher. Don't EVER get plastic surgery to make yourself look less Asian. NEVER let it come to that. It's so messed up that you believe that's what you need to do to succeed. If you have the talent and the ability, then you'll work your way to where you want to be.

Now Audrey is a role that is pretty consistently white. However, Maureen has been played by Asian actresses. Not fulltime, but understudies - Julie Danao, Cristina Ablaza, Fiona Choi too I believe. There's also the

re: Asians in the theatre
 Mar 30 2005, 08:02:21 PM
If there's a lack of opportunities, then you have to create them. However, plenty of musicals employ(ed) color blind casting or are willing to - Chicago, Wicked, Les Mis, Aida, Beauty and the Beast, The Rocky Horror Show, Rent, etc. Also, anything with a large chorus tends to cast multi-racially to create a more diverse look. With straight plays it's a little tougher.

There's also South Pacific and Cookin' in addition to the others that have been mentioned. There's Ann Harada (or Ann

re: Daily Show with Jon Stewart
 Feb 17 2005, 02:03:28 AM
I saw this a couple hours ago, the Eric Idle one. Those two were hysterical together. Nothing of substance was really said except that Idle has written Spamalot, slept with everyone in the cast, has been married 28 years, and has a book out. Hehe. Loved it.
re: Pictures of Scary Spice as Mimi
 Feb 16 2005, 01:26:34 PM
Saycon wearing black pants. Sorry the picture's so big.
re: Pictures of Scary Spice as Mimi
 Feb 16 2005, 01:20:21 PM
Saycon wore black pants with the Benny Tour when they were in Japan at least. Not all the time. Loraine Velez wore black pants on Broadway for about a month. Some Mimis used to wear a sort of wrap around the blue pants - I think Simone and Dana Dawson did. It's not that big a deal.
re: Play Moments That Make You Cry
 Feb 15 2005, 05:01:36 PM
The last half hour of 'night, Mother. Marsha Norman wrote it like she was punching you in the gut over and over. Then she would back off and hit you again. Powerful stuff.
re: David Ayers
 Feb 15 2005, 01:31:20 AM
I think he's the new Fiyero in Wicked.
re: Lea Salonga as Elphaba?
 Feb 13 2005, 11:51:54 PM
I know I'm late again on this topic.

I believe Lea was actually pursued to play Belle in Beauty and the Beast but the timing never worked out. I assume she has no interest left in it unless she really wants to be back on Broadway which doesn't seem to be the case. Elphaba seems to have consumed her thoughts along with this tour she's doing. Guess she wants a fairly new big role if she's not originating the part.

re: Performers notorious for missing shows
 Feb 13 2005, 11:31:16 PM
Oy people. Hugh Jackman did not miss one performance. They did indeed go dark for a week or so for his vacation and then a couple other nights for Tony rehearsals and the actual Tonys I believe.

Not to be an asS, but if Donna Murphy has an ongoing illness that constantly requires her to call out of a show, why sign a contract to do an 8-show Broadway week? You're hurting yourself and cheating the audience. I'm not knocking her, I'm just saying that if it's really serious, she shouldn't

re: Altar Boyz Video on Broadway.com?
 Feb 10 2005, 05:40:35 AM
They seem to be aiming for creative advertising. It was alright. I think I laughed at it because I've seen the show and understand what's going on.

Only the songs in the video that they perform in rehearsals are in the show. That dialogue was not in the show from what I can recall.

Definitely check it out. I found the show to be very entertaining, though I don't care much for the guy that's playing Matthew yet. I'd rather see him live before I say anything too judgmental though

re: In Her Prime (backstage.com)
 Feb 10 2005, 12:10:12 AM
I just had to revive this to say that Tovah Feldshuh is one classy lady. I feel honored to have seen her perform in Golda's Balcony. I wish her all the best because she deserves it. Beautiful.
re: Actors who stayed with a role for a long time.........
 Feb 9 2005, 01:05:44 PM
Just a quick note: Yeah, Anthony was with Rent for a very long time, but Adam was with the show for a decent amount. He did off-Broadway, then Broadway for about a year and a half (he left 11/2/97) and then London. To nitpick, Anthony did the NYTW, then off-Broadway, then Broadway 'til 1/4/98, THEN the Angel Tour because he switched with Christian Anderson, and then he did London.

Carol Channing did over 5000 performances of Hello, Dolly! AND she didn't miss a scheduled performance?! Wo

re: Lea Salonga as Elphaba?
 Feb 4 2005, 11:17:41 PM
I also think she'd make a better Nessa, at least vocally. If Jenna Leigh Green has the chance to play Elphaba (she's understudying the part, right?) then Lea might be able to sing the part as well. I think Stephanie Block also has a slightly deeper belt than the role calls for and she's doing it. I'd say let's hear her sing Defying Gravity in some concert setting and if she can do it, good for her. If not, oh well. There will be other roles. The worst thing she could do is force it if she doesn'
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You