News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for goodoneinlou2

Member Name: goodoneinlou2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Evita Barbie  Sep 3 2013, 10:20:59 AM
It's a hand-customized doll. Mattel has never produced or sold an Evita/Eva Peron Barbie. (25 year Barbie/pop culture collector.)

They have produced a Broadway Themed set before though... most notably, the "Phantom Of the Opera" Ken & Barbie set. It is HIGHLY coveted by Barbie collectors. It goes for hundreds...

Ace Young & Diana DeGarmo leading JOSEPH National Tour  Aug 19 2013, 02:17:29 PM
He'll need a wig. He cut his hair off last fall.

Ace Young & Diana DeGarmo leading JOSEPH National Tour  Aug 19 2013, 12:54:23 PM
I'm more curious to see is this is the over-the-top Palladium version or a regurgitation of the awful Troika touring production that involved the crap set.

Palladium/Adelphi version

Troika version

The early 1990's desgined Palladium version was revived a few years back in London at the Adelphi. I am hoping it's that. The production values were actually impressive and made the "small" story quite grand.

Big Broadway Musicals Being Restaged Smaller  Aug 18 2013, 10:50:37 PM
I expect if you ask 100 people how much staging/scenery affects their reaction to a show, you'll get just as many varying responses. Some people concentrate on the performances, some the book. Some concentrate on the orchestrations, others the costumes etc. Some concentrate on all aspects.

I'm a visual person. The stagecraft, lighting, effects etc all play a VERY important part (along with, of course, the acting/music/staging) in my enjoyment of a show. My tastes tend to asc

Sunset Boulevard , Linda Balgord  Aug 14 2013, 09:40:10 PM
I saw the original Sunset Boulevard First National Tour with Linda Balgord and Ron Bohmer in Cincinnati.

The set was exactly as elaborate as that on Bway - although the mansion was not as wide. Nothing was visually compromised in the show and it remains the most elaborate touring set I've ever seen.

Linda was good, but she didn't have star presence IMO. She sang the heck out of the score, and raised the roof. She opted to take many song finales "up." It was a complete vocal

Characters like Amber von Tussle?  May 28 2013, 09:55:15 PM
Patty Simcox - Grease
Katherine McPhee on Idol tonight?  Mar 29 2013, 02:24:07 PM
I didn't see Idol (not a fan - don't watch it) but I did see a picture of her on a news ticker online this morning.

The first thing I noticed was that she's chopped her hair off. Gone from the long hair to a shag-type do.

That tells me Smash is indeed finished. When a show is continuing production, stars are (more often than not) contracted to not drastically change their look during a hiatus- specifically their often not allowed to cut their hair.

I see it as

Les Miz on the Oscars. or Russell Crowe still can't sing  Feb 25 2013, 01:21:34 PM
"CZJ had a wire running down the back of her neck that was very obvious when she turned around. Looked like a mic to me."

Again, she sang the first verse live, then began lip synching with the 2nd verse - when she left the piano and began dancing.

Les Miz on the Oscars. or Russell Crowe still can't sing  Feb 25 2013, 09:35:15 AM
CZJ sang the first verse of "All That Jazz" live, but her tracks were pre-recorded beginning with the second verse.

"Slick your hair and wear your buckle shoes" is where the lip synching began.

Priscilla Queen of The Desert Tour- How is it?  Jan 24 2013, 01:29:34 PM
Much appreciated! So, let me geek out a bit more and ask a few more questions.

With the removal of the treadmill, do they still do the "road kill" scene? Perhaps they track the signs/road kill? I hope they didnt' cut it.

Do they invite audience members on stage during the Act 2 opener "Thank God I'm a Country Boy?"

Finally, did the "insult" painted on the bus change? Or do they still use the F O F slur?

Priscilla Queen of The Desert Tour- How is it?  Jan 24 2013, 01:19:46 PM
I'm so happy to read this summary. Thank you!

A question:

How did the "Pop Muzik" scene play? Was the audience taken back, or did hilarity ensue?

Also, were there tech issues with the Ping Pong balls? (I saw it three times on Bway and 2 of the 3 times there were glitches.)

Just curious, as "tacky" as that scene is, it is an absolute riot!

Oscar Nominated  Jan 22 2013, 11:45:41 AM
I certainly hope not!

One of my favorite parts of Les Miz on stage was the (very) brief interlude following Valjean's aquiring Cosette from the Thenardiers. There's a magical moment that I always loved where Valjean gives Cosette a doll, dresses her up and then he and she sing simple "La-las" to a reprise of "Castle on a Cloud." She takes the melody and he harmonized. It always was so simple, yet so effective. It said so much by simply having their voices blend.

I hope

Broadway stage mishaps/accidents  Dec 12 2012, 11:37:34 AM
Not Broadway - but during the Pre-Broadway run in Chicago, the Tomb in Aida (which originally "floated" in mid air)collapsed during the final scene. It sent Adam Pascal and Heather Headley crashing to the floor. The show was stopped and the Stage Manager literally asked the audience if there was "A Doctor in the House."

Don't forget Idina Menzels fall in Wicked, and the actor's fall from the ship in Little Mermaid.

Also, the set for Sunset Blvd was notorio

Grease 94 Revival Need Help!  Dec 7 2012, 02:13:12 PM
Somone posted about the '94 revival a few days ago, and I responded to that. In that response I remarked how I enjoyed it, saw it at least 6-8 times and actually miss it's "camp" quality.

I also remarked that Sam Harris' "Those Magic Changes" literally stopped the show about 15 minutes in. (It's like the 3rd song in the show.) But Sam wasn't in the role very long on Broadway, from what I recall, and subsequent actors didn't have his "chops."

That having been said, the version you hear on the '94 cast recording was unique to Sam. John McDaniel orchestrated the song with an encore that all "Doodies" sang. But Sam's version was unique though in that it scaled up to show off his insane range by having (I believe) an extra note.

There are 5 final notes in the encore of Sam's version (Mah-ah-ah-oo-ooooore) that scale up to the rafters. However my recollection is that the 3rd note in "Mah-ah-ah-oo-ooooore" was not sung by the other actors I saw perform Doody following him. They only sang the word with 4 notes vs Sam's 5.

Quite frankly, nothing or no one ever touched Sams version. It was, and is, an incredible vocal treat. BTW... here is the "live version" (minus the encore) captured on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3g9iTwftso

You'll notice in that video that there is (I believe-Im not a musician) a key change up before the verse "I'll Be Waitin By The Radio."

Rosie O'donnell in GREASE  Dec 3 2012, 03:54:25 PM
That's it!

Are you sure that's not Susan Wood though? Sure looks and sounds like her!

I also recognize Jason Opshal who went on to play Kenicke.

Some of the sets (lockers) and choreography were retained from this medley for the Broadway show. Obviously "Hopelessly Devoted to You" was not retained and replaced with "Since I Don't Have You."

I haven't seen that in nearly 20 years, thanks for sharing

Rosie O'donnell in GREASE  Dec 3 2012, 03:02:14 PM
I am one of the few, like yourself, that enjoyed the overtly campy and neon revival in the '90's. I saw it at least a half dozen times - with various B actors and actresses playing the various roles. (All of which were far to old for that parts they were playing - but that was part of the fun.)

I'll be honest... I was NOT a fan of Rosie. Her name sold tickets... but that's about it. She had some great one liners, but her voice and "sincerity" as Rizzo were as bad as it gets (IMO.) She's to be credited for making it a hit revival - but she was obviously bored with the role just a few months into her run. She was constantly breaking the 4th wall when I saw it and clocking her time while singing horribly off-key.

She didn't perform at the Tonys with the cast as you said - and there's very little footage of her in the role. You can catch a few videos online of her in numbers like "Freddie my Love" (With a then unknown Megan Mulally) but nothing substantial. She did a lot of pre-Broadway press and commericals - but that's about it. Here's a link to a tv review of the show that features Rosie in the role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9YtJ3z4KKY

A few years later when she hosted the Tony awards, she did sing the "Greased Lightnin reprise" with male members of the cast as a part of her opening medley.

BTW, I think the cast of Grease was on a New Years Eve special too. If memory serves me, it featured Debbie Boone (a much later Rizzo) lip synching to the Rosie cast album on top of a building. Terrible.

Quite honestly, the thing I LOVED about the revival was the music. John McDaniel (Who became Rosie's bandleader on the talk show) did wonders with the re-orchestration of the songs. Sam Harris delivered one of the most show stopping performances I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. His "Those Magic Changes" is simply incredible... and he stopped the show every single night!!! He really didn't stay in the role too long, from what I recall, and all of the subsequent "Doody" actors paled by comparison.

I fell in love with Susan Wood as Sandy. She was PERFECT for that role. I wish she had gone on to do much more on Broadway. She was a great talent and should have been a big name. (Ashley Spencer in the recent Grease revival had the same quality - pitch perfect and absolutely stunning to look at.)

What's funny is, whenever I'm in NYC and pass by the Eugene O'Neil I always think of the 90's Grease. Heck, when I saw Mormon at the O'Neil, I kept drifting back to memories of Grease.

As a side note, prior to the revival opening on Broadway, Tommy Tune did some sort of promotional tie-in with a televised pageant (I think) where a medley of Grease songs were performed live. Seems like it was Miss America, or USA or such. I distincly recall it, then the next thing you knew, the show was back on Broadway. I'd love to find out the details of my memory, and if those in that tv spot were the original revival cast members.

Finally, I also recall either reading an article or seeing something on tv that John Stamos was supposed to originate Danny in the Rosie revival - but it fell through when he remained committed to a final season of his sitcom. Never had that verified - maybe someone knows that as well?

Examples of miscasting that damaged a show  Oct 23 2012, 01:13:43 PM
Point taken, financially she helped the show. However artistically I feel she harmed it.

When I saw it, I felt she was a distraction and did a disservice (she was breaking the 4th wall and mugging for members of the audience in the front rows.) Of course it's Grease - not Shakespeare or Gershwin - but her terrible acting and voice coupled with her obvious flippancy (no doubt from the repetitivity of acting on Broadway)harmed the show. Even Rosie herself has stated that toward

Examples of miscasting that damaged a show  Oct 23 2012, 12:28:32 PM
I was never a fan of the show... but "The Producers" never regained it's "uumph" after Lane and Brodrick left.
I think Brad Oscar took over for Lane, but no matter who assumed the roles - they were doomed by comparison.
The show relied too much on the Lane/Brodrick coupling and their "names" above title.

Also, the Grease revival in the 90's was ripe with mis-cast "names" as characters. Debbie Boone, Linda Blair, Jasmine Guy as Rizzo? Jon Secada, Rex Smith, Adrian Zmed as Danny? Heck, Rosie was hired to be a "name" above title... but her stint as Rizzo was the Broadway equivelant to nails on a chalkboard.

Oh, and therein lies another mis-casting. Rosie as the Cat in the Hat... Rosie as Golde... Rosie as... anything...

Return to Lion King.  Aug 1 2012, 03:33:52 PM
Those speaking to the tour changes have neglected to mention that the tour dropped the hydraulic raked stage years ago. On tour, the stage no longer "tilts."
One song/one scene characters that steal the show  Jul 3 2012, 04:31:37 PM
Love or hate it... Cynthia in Priscilla virtually stole the show.

More respectively, the mistress' "Another Suitcase In Another Hall" from Evita *can* often be a show stealing role/number.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You