Tyne Daly in Gypsy

PJ
#0Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 5:53pm

Why did Tyne's revival of Gypsy only run for a few months at the St. James Theatre? Was it not a hit? Also, why did the show close and then reopen at the Marquis Theatre a few months later?

PJ
#1re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 5:59pm

Whoops...okay I didn't read the years noted on ibdb.com. It played from '89 to '91 at the St. James.

Gothampc
#2re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 6:30pm

Because she was horrible in the role!

Actually I think she had other commitments. They rotated several stars through the role after her. Linda Lavin among them.

Edit to say: Yes, I was wrong. Linda Lavin was the only other Rose. For some horrible reason, I had in my mind that Joan Rivers played the role. Ginko Biloba here I come.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 12/15/05 at 06:30 PM

boydancer
#3re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 6:50pm

Right on!.....she was ghastly..... Updated On: 7/10/03 at 06:50 PM

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#4re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 6:53pm

My friend, Crista Moore, was Louise in that production!

PJ
#5re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 7:41pm

I actually like Tyne Daly's interpretation. I didn't see her live, but on the cast recording I love her rendition of "Rose's Turn." Mostly because it was unlike all the other versions I'd heard before. I love her husky "mama's talkin' loud, mama's doin' fine" part of the song. But I've only heard that song, so who knows, she could very well have butchered the rest her songs.

Gothampc
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 8:15pm

PJ, you need to listen to the rest of the cd. Ms. Daly is horribly flat in several places. She just wasn't able to sing the role.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Dollypop
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 8:18pm

When Tyne Daley left GYPSY, Linda Lavin replaced her. When Lavin's contract expired, the show closed. There was no "rotating cast".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 8:33pm

And yet, she won the Tony. Hmm.

PJ
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 9:34pm

She may not have had the vocal chobs of some other Roses..but I can tell just by one song that she must have acted the hell out of the role. Obviously she did something right, she did win the Tony.

Butch2
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 9:46pm

Actually, DP, the show was "revived" about three months after it closed with Linda Lavin. Tyne came back when it reopened at the Marquis. She is even included as a "replacement" cast member on IBDB.

She acted the hell out of the role. Live, her Rose's Turn induced goosebumps.

Sunfish
#11 Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 10:01pm

Tyne Daly is a hell of an actress. I didn't see her show, but of all possible Gypsy's that is the one I would like to see. (Blasphemy I know! But Merman's voice makes my teeth ache!)

PJ
#12re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 10:13pm

Sunfish...THANK YOU SO MUCH! Same here. Merman makes me cringe. I would love to see Tyne or Angela in the role. I'm seeing Bernadette this December.

Dollypop
#13re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 10:20pm

PJ, this is great news!!! You're actually going to see Bernadette in GYPSY!!!!! How did you get your tickets?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PJ
#14re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 10:47pm

Don't be an ass DollyPop. AND NO...you mentioned that I might be Faith Prince Fan from Broadway.com. I know what "FPF" because that's all you ever used to do at that message board was whenever someone you didn't like came up, you assumed it was FaithPrinceFan under a new name. Screw you. And yes...I'm being hasty.

McRuff
#15re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 10:57pm

Hasty?

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#16re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 11:04pm

I'm not defending Tyne, but when the CD was recorded, she had a cold.

PJ
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 11:38pm

That's what I've heard before. That Tyne was sick during the recording of the album. That's too bad. I'd love to hear what she sounded like on stage.

broadwayguy2
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 11:40pm

yes, she DID have a cold when the album was recorded, so her voice wasn't at full strength anyway.

What Tyne lacked in voice, she made up for in intensity. She was a FIERCE Rose.

tpdc
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 11:41pm

Daly has gone on record about how she was ill when they recorded GYPSY and that she doesn't recommend you buy it. Daly was very good live. Her singing worked fine in the theater. Her Rose's Turn was quite powerful. As much as I liked Day, I liked Bernadette's Rose even more. I think even as good as Daly was, she built on the Merman concept of Rose whereas Bernadette and Mendes threw out the Merman handbook and started fresh.

PJ
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/9/03 at 11:43pm

I wonder why they couldn't reschedule the recording schedule to work around Tyne's illness. But I guess if they already have the studio reserved and whatnot, it would have been a huge pain. But atleast it would have captured the true essence of her portrayal of Rose.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/10/03 at 12:21am

I would have loved to see Tyne as Rose. She must have been phenominal. Oddly enough, Bernadette Peters was the one who presented Tyne with the Best Actress Tony that year.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/10/03 at 1:00am

For the perfect combination of "acting" and "singing," I don't think you can beat the Angela Lansbury recording. She is wonderful in every song. I highly recommend to any serious GYPSY fan that you add this recording to your collection.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

broadwayguy2
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/10/03 at 1:04am

Have that one... LOVE it! I had no intention of getting it until I heard one of Angela's tracks on a Bway compilation recording... I went out to get her Gypsy the next day.

I plan on getting the new cast recording, Sadly enough, for David Burtka instead of bernadette. I'm pitiful, I know.

SONDHEIM8
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Tyne Daly in Gypsy
Posted: 7/10/03 at 1:52am

When I saw Ms Daly do GYPSY I had my reservations. I figured that yes she could probably act the part but singing? After SOME PEOPLE I was convinced she was Rose!

Christa Moore was an outstanding Louise.

LINK: Tracy, you look beautiful behind bars!

TRACY: It must be the low-watt institutional lighting!