Lolita, My Love

romgitsean
#1Lolita, My Love
Posted: 4/7/08 at 7:00pm

First off: Hi, I'm new to the board--I'm Sean (:

But, my rant. Lolita, My Love is a musical done in 1971 by Lerner based on Vladimir Lobokov's novel, "Lolita". The concept is scary, I know...considering it's about a pedophile. But, actually...it has grown on me. I've heard the recording a few times. It's great! The first time listening to it, I thought, "This is different." I think I love it so much because it takes such an unusual story and has such great, classical musical theatre-like music to it. It sounds very classic. I don't understand why it didn't make it to Broadway, in all honesty. Dorothy Loudon was excellent, even though I didn't see her actually perform, her voice nearly brings me to tears when she reads Humbart's diary calling her mean names and all that. And "Tell Me, Tell Me" is a very moving song about replacing love with objects. Denise Nickerson as Lolita=perfect. It's just such a great piece.

Now, here's what baffles me: The show didn't make it to Broadway. That's clear, the reason probably being it was too ahead of its time, I don't think people in 1971 were ready for musicals with that material, but...what baffles me is there is nothing. left. of. this. show. Not even pictures! I have only that recording, no video, no script, no sheet music, nothing! How is this possible?! Carrie: The Musical was a flop too and there's everything left from it, sheet music, script, recording and video! I don't get it at all! It just seems weird that everything possible from that show has just...stopped!

I would love if someone could provide me with sheet music to it. I'm audio-copying the script, but I would love the sheet music. Or I would honestly pay someone to make a midi file.

Thanks for reading!

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 4/7/08 at 07:00 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 7:02pm

I'm wondering if you'll get more OR less people to read this, by inserting the words "rant" and "please" in your title.

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#2re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 7:16pm

I agree it's a super score - some vintage Lerner lyrics and hauntingly beautiful music by John Barry. (I was fortunate enough to get hold of the "soundboard" recording too.) I love in particular "How Far Is It To The next Town" and "In The Broken Promised Land Of Fifteen". Sorry I can't help you about where to find the score - but you can hear great quality recordings of "Tell me, Tell Me" and "In The Borken Promised Land Of Fifteen" on Brent Barrett's Alan Jay lerner album.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#3re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 7:36pm

Wish I could help...

But here a couple of threads on the subject that you might find interesting:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=957670#3485567

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=865059#3439979

Good Luck

What great ones do the less will prattle of

BkCollector
#4re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 8:30pm

I;ve been looking for the score as well. I advise a theater group that is looking to get in touch with John Barry, we want to update the orchestrations and do this show, but we've hit a dead end.

romgitsean
#5re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 10:34pm

Thanks for your help, all!

Please PM me if you can help with the score!

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 4/7/08 at 10:34 PM

roquat
#6re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 10:38pm

I actually am good friends with someone who played rehearsal piano for this show. (No, he doesn't still have any of the musica.) He said it was a maddening, but exhilarating process--maddening because of Alan Jay Lerner, who was nasty to everybody (he realized early on it wasn't going to work) and exhilarating because of the material and Dorothy Loudon, who brought so much energy to her role that the show never recovered from her character's death in Act One.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

puppetman2
#7re: Lolita, My Love: A rant (please read)
Posted: 4/7/08 at 11:50pm

Maybe they could revive it with James Barbour.

It Sucks To Be Me

Videos