pixeltracker

Bat Boy...thoughts? SLASH official Bat Boy LOVE thread!

Bat Boy...thoughts? SLASH official Bat Boy LOVE thread!

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#1Bat Boy...thoughts? SLASH official Bat Boy LOVE thread!
Posted: 7/21/08 at 2:23pm

I just saw this show in a black box production and I was wondering what people thought of it when it was open off-Broadway. I LOVED it, it was hilarious and touching at the same time. Did anybody see it?

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson
Updated On: 7/21/08 at 02:23 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#2re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 2:34pm

I loved Bat Boy, did a mainstage production of it this year at my college. It is fun and the music is so damn catchy. As a performer it is exhausting. Physically and vocally... the music is some of the hardest I have ever worked with. But still great.

Here are two videos from my prouduction.

Another Dead Cow- http://youtube.com/watch?v=EqMqDPsaSSs

Children, Children- http://youtube.com/watch?v=fo8hiyJjc5E

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 2:44pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW

oohshizz146
#3re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 3:03pm

Thanks for the links! I love seeing different versions of it!

Edit: What part were you? I auditioned for Shelley, but they cast me in Thoroughly Modern Millie instead. My summer program does two shows at once, main stage and black box, and you don't get to choose which you get into, only request.

Updated On: 7/21/08 at 03:03 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 3:08pm

I saw this production and was blown away. It was supposed to transfer to San Francisco, but...well...didn't.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.17.03/batboy-0329.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20030722/ai_n14557457

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 3:55pm

One of my favorite shows. It's hilarious and heartbreaking, yes. I wish it were done more in professional theatres. Seems to be done more in educational/community theatres.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

oohshizz146
#6re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 4:32pm

bump! spread the looove.

Mythus
#7re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 5:01pm

Mmm, Bat Boy slash.

Sorry, is that not what this thread is about?

oohshizz146
#8re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 5:14pm

You have got to be the funniest person on this site. Honestly, did you come up with that all on your own, or do you have writers?

Mythus
#9re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 5:21pm

Wow, that was...uncalled for.

SteamHeat2 Profile Photo
SteamHeat2
#10re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 6:47pm

I'm actually getting ready for a batboy audition coming up. I love the look/sound of it through my research, but I have one question: how much dance is usually used in the production? (I am primarily a dancer so thats why I am curious)
Thanks!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#11re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 6:57pm

I think it depends on the director and production team. The version I did was VERY dance heavy and very physical. The set was mainly made of scaffolding so it was a lot of climbing etc.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#12re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 7:04pm

I did not get a chance to see this in New York but I saw the production at the Sheftesbury Theatre in London and absolutely loved it. It was so fresh, funny and full of energy, while at the same time being heartbreaking at the right moments. Larry O'Keefe's score is vibrant and superbly diverse, so much more interesting than the scores of many shows that have had far greater success. The entire cast were terrific while Devon May was incredible. It deserved a longer run in London but I fear it suffered from the choice of theatre as much as anything.

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

oohshizz146
#13re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 7:20pm

steamheat: there is hardly any dancing, but (in the production I saw) when they DID dance, the choreography was VERY basic and easy...and pretty campy, actually! have a blast if you get in, its a gorgeous show

Hello Dawley
#14re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 9:01pm

I absolutely love the show. I have played the role of Bat Boy twice and I have directed it once. I have seen some horrible productions of it though. Toronto and a community theatre in Ohio...and they were BAD. You have to be careful with a show like this because if you try to go to far with the jokes that are already in the script, it won't go well. I would like to see a touring production start up...maybe even the movie that never went passed pre-production. It could be interesting.

roquat
#15re: Bat Boy...thoughts?
Posted: 7/21/08 at 9:02pm

One of the funniest shows ever, as long as you do it right. I participated in a production that was a little too timid and "real"--it didn't go out on a limb enough, and the audience was bewildered and didn't really know when to laugh. You CANNOT be inhibited if you decide to do this show!

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."