Standby/Understudy Question

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#0Standby/Understudy Question
Posted: 6/16/03 at 11:41am

I think this might of been discussed before but, what is the actual difference b/w standby and u/s? are standbys just on call?
also how much do standbys make as opposed to understudies?

bestofbroadway
#1re: Standby/Understudy Question
Posted: 6/16/03 at 11:47am

Standbys are not in the show, understudies are.

Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
#2re: re: Standby/Understudy Question
Posted: 6/16/03 at 12:05pm

Are Standbys rare?

I know Understudys are listed in almost every show, but I don't recall seeing a Standby. Just curious!

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#3re: re: re: Standby/Understudy Question
Posted: 6/16/03 at 12:26pm

don't star roles sometimes have standbys? i think it depends on the structure of the show...for instance, in NINE Antonio has a stand-by (the very talented Paul Schoeffler, who played the role at Paper Mill), because there is no other adult male role someone could play and concievably understudy Guido. And sometimes, particularly in vocally demanding female roles, there is a standby who plays matinees.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

bestofbroadway
#4re: re: re: re: Standby/Understudy Question
Posted: 6/16/03 at 12:33pm

Stand-bys are in the show depending on the show and the cast. If there is no one else in the cast who can play a role then there is a standby. Antonio in Nine is one example. In Cabaret there are stand-bys for the two elderly parts, because obviously there is no one else in the show who can play the parts. Usually in shows with big name stars or really huge parts (Gypsy, Sunset Blvd., Victor/Victoria, etc) there are stand-bys.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#5but
Posted: 6/16/03 at 12:54pm

why does hairspray have 2 standbys plus 1 u/s for tracy lol..doesnt it get expensive sometimes? Aida has 3 Amneris covers and 1 standby also...if shes arent doing so hot how do they afford to pay these people?

ShineOn
#6re: but
Posted: 6/16/03 at 2:41pm

Here... right from the mouth of Em. :)

DL: I know a lot of our readers will ask this, so what’s the difference between an understudy and a standby?

Emily: An understudy is in the show, she’s an ensemble person who has her own track in the show. The standby does nothing but stand by for the leads, off-stage in the green room or on a buzzer on call, just waiting around for that person to get sick.

DL: So what decided whether you went on or the standby went on?

Emily: There wasn’t a standby. Generally speaking, there’s only a standby if the role is huge, if you’re on for the entire three hours without leaving the stage. Alice and I had standbys for Side Show. Patrick Wilson has a standby for The Full Monty because he’s in every scene. For roles that are lead roles with a break, that’s when you have an understudy. I know, it’s complex!

DL: It’s complex, but you did a good job explaining it. You know, now people can tell their children “I learned about understudies from Emily Skinner.” Because, you know, the web never goes away.

Emily: Can I get that on a t-shirt?

Hehe. :)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

Dollypop
#7re: Standbys and Understudies
Posted: 6/16/03 at 9:28pm

The old Bell Telephone Hour used to have a regular feature called "Standbys and Understudies" and it was an hour in which these talented performers sang the songs of the roles they covered on Broadway. I vividly remember Bibi Osterwald singing "So Long Dearie" and Linda Gerard doing "Don't Rain on My Parade". Obviously this was in the mid-sixties. I wonder if this is available on VHS these days?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)