Sunset Boulevard

bogey_LIVE
#0Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:12pm

I know thta this is something REALLY old to talk about...but did anyone else boycott Andrew Lloy Webber back in the day when he screwed Patti LuPone and Faye Dunaway? I often wonder if he really had any control ver what happened. He must, damn Fat Cat!

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#1re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:13pm

boycott? I saw the show 7 times re: Sunset Boulevard

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

bogey_LIVE
#2re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:14pm

I don't mean boycott THE SHOW>.. I mean him...like just 'I hate him for what he did' that kind of stuff. hehe...I just feel bad for those ladies.

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#3re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:16pm

Frankly, I don't care about these things... I prefer to judge an author by his works...

bogey_LIVE
#4re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:17pm

I'll judge you by YOUR works! re: Sunset Boulevard *pouts*

jo
#5re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:18pm

I am a great fan of the show - I hope they make it into a movie.

bogey_LIVE
#6re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:18pm

Have anyo f you seen the original? It is amazing. And they were talking about a movie version a while back. I don't think that is likely any more.

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#7re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:19pm

The original movie is great, I really love it...
but nobody sings there! re: Sunset Boulevard

bogey_LIVE
#8re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:21pm

THat is true...that's what makes it so good.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#9re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:28pm

it's a great show and thats all that matters

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#10re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:30pm

I don't know what the first post in this thread is saying. What was the "incident?"

bogey_LIVE
#11re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:33pm

Patti LuPone was supposed to carry the show to Broadway. When Glen Close was given the L.A. Production, they decided to send her to broadway and break LuPone's contract. Then, they offered L.A. to Faye Dunaway, got her signed on, and decided to kill the L.A. Production al together...breaking her contract. I don't know the outcome of Dunaway's fight, but LuPOne got a healthy settlement, if I am not mistaken,a nd is no longer a friend of Webbers...or so I read.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#12re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:57pm

That is sad. She was in 2 of their shows and now they disown eachother and can't remember those times together.

Faith2 Profile Photo
Faith2
#13re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/16/04 at 10:43am

I don't care much for the 'business' side of "SHOW BUSINESS'....I am mostly interested in the "SHOW' side of show business!!! That way I get to enjoy what's on offer, without concerning myself with the politics of it all.

In defense of ALW, he is a very creative businessman as well as being a very creative composer / artist! He's not a multi-millionaire for no reason.

Also that being said, I am a very *morals and ethics* kinda gal, so if I did concern myself with all the 'behind - the - scenes goings-on', it would distract from my enjoyment of the show...so for me, it's better just to focus on the 'SHOW' side of things!!!!

There is a curious paradox that no one can explain; Who understands the secret of the reaping of the grain, Who understands why spring is born out of winter's laboring pain, Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again. -from "The Fantasticks"

pattifan2
#14re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/16/04 at 2:32pm

I was fortunate enough to see Patti's final performance in 'Sunset'. Seconds before her entrance, the set broke down and halted the production for around 30-40 minutes. When she did finally enter down the staircase the audience went nuts! In fact, she had to hold up her hand to stop the noise so she could sing her first line. One of my favourite moments EVER in the theatre was her performance that night of 'As if We Never Said Goodbye'. She got a HUGE ovation - even from the cast on stage with her. The whole evening was really moving - I shall never forget it. She really proved what a STAR she is - and what a mistake ALW had made.

...fragment of the day...

bogey_LIVE
#15re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/16/04 at 6:21pm

THat is really awesome...I wish I could have seen that. I own the 'Evening with Patti LuPone' concert tape where she sings it, and i love it. I think she is wonderful, I am happy you shared tyhat experience with me.

rockfenris2005
#16re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 2:57am

You really should read a Lloyd Webber biography. I'd recommend the books by Michael Coveney and Michael Walsh

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#17re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:04am

In terms of Faye Dunaway, I can say that it sounded like a case of Buyer's remorse. My cousin did sound design for the show in London and said that Patti really really really made everyone's lives hell so from what I have heard, a lot went on that we probably never heard about which led up to the decision.

In terms of boycotting, I didn't. It didn't matter to me what politics existed. That can happen anywhere.

-JALT

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

rockfenris2005
#18re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:07am

I think, IMHO, she's a dreadful singer

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

bogey_LIVE
#19re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:07am

I guess so...I like that she makes everyone's lives hell. I would too if I were a Diva. Oh, and for the record, I didn't boycott ALW. I was just asking if anyone did.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#20re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:12am

Pattie is so odd. You practically need a translation dictionary when you listen to her sing...Anyone see her Anything Goes routine on PBS?

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

bogey_LIVE
#21re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:21am

Listen, the Anything Goes thing was not bad at all...I UNDERSTAND why people tease her voice, and I though the Forbidden Broadway thing was hilarious...but I really must say that I think it is exageratted just a bit much. I have her PBS concert on tape and she is amazing in that.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#22re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:23am

And my sources say that you wrote the script for From Justin to Kelly so I think that says everything.

rockfenris2005
#23re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:24am

The Sunset Boulevard CD makes me sick! I still haven't been able to find the full Close recording re: Sunset Boulevard

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#24re: Sunset Boulevard
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:44am

Really? I see it everywhere.

Videos