Equity

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#0Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:14am

Does anyone know what the current equity minimum is?

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

CJR
#1re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:27am

1385, I believe

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

broadwayguy2
#2re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:34am

depends on which contract type or tier that your contract is.

DancerGirl16
#3re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:37am

THank you

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:37am

I think she means a production contract, don't you, dancer? The contract for a Broadway show? In which case, CJR has answered appropriately.

I remember when minimum was about $925. I'm old. re: Equity And even now, that's ($925) still more than I make after 20+ years in the working world!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

DancerGirl16
#5re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:38am

Quick note is that weekly or monthy (monthly I am assuming but just checking)

touchmeinthemorning
#6re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:40am

Those are actually weekly rates. That money goes quick here in NYC, though. =)

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:43am

Rath -= thats almost twice what I make...yikes...(the OLD figure)

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:43am

It's weekly.

And it doesn't have to go quickly - like I said, a lot of us live on a lot less. You have to learn what your priorities are -you'll also have expenses I don't have, such as dance classes, vocal coaching, acting classes if you choose (and you should choose).

A great place to live is Astoria, Queens - it's an easy commute to the city, the rents are ridiculously cheaper for much nicer and larger spaces, and the general cost of living is less than Manhattan as well.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:48am

Yep, redhot - nice work if you can get it, eh?

redhotinnyc2
#10re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:16am

I ask myself quite often, why I remain here. But the fact is - I can't imagine living anywhere else - and of course there is the dymamic of being in a relationship that you just can pack up and move to anywhere you'd like to. I love NY, but its a tough town to live in.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:17am

I'm with ya, red. All the way.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#12re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:23am

Try living on an Off-Broadway Equity income. The minimum is under $400 a week, and you still have to do eight shows.

Lynnespock2
#13re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:25am

The sad part of the "good money" that Broadway players get is that at any given time, only about 20% of the members of Equity are working. The money is good when you are working and tough when you are not.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#14re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:26am

Right - so you have to have a second job. Like most people who are aspiring ANYTHINGS in New York. I spent too many years with two and sometimes three jobs. And I'm not an actor.

redhotinnyc2
#15re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:26am

there are days when I think I'd take THAT over what I'm doing anyday...to at least be acting - it would be heaven

#16re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:27am

While the per week Broadway Equity minimum sounds nice, there are only a lucky few who get that year-round - a very lucky few.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: Equity
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:28am

Right, DGrant - and I'm not an actor yet I was out of work for 7 months last year. It happens to everyone, especially in this economy. And most of us don't get those good salaries to begin with to help us out during the downtime.

Videos